Ever know you're about to get a really good deal because an eBay seller told you so?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I need to work on is asking sellers "Do you have any more for sale?"

On the rare occasion that I do ask...

And on the even rarer occasion when they respond "Yes, and you'll be the first to know when I go to sell them"..

..And then that day comes.

In my case, I received this message "I am getting ready to start on posting coin s wanted to let you know. there are at leases 50 dimes and all are before 1920 6 or so before 1850 and 15 to 20 old quarters and 6 or so half dollars. I would entertain a price for all to save the work if something you was interested in let me know"

shark.jpg

Back story is I picked up a bunch of coins from them in the past.. 1 ounces under spot, walking liberty halves at spot (including some key dates).. etc. And now they are looking to dump the rest onto my lap.. :skullflag: If and when I get the buy, I'll be sure to post it up.

Anyone else have some good repeat seller stories?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nice collection of official Chicago Cubs MLB patches from the 80s that went on the uniforms. The real ones not the kind you buy at the ballpark or retail sport store. I had about 25 and for a month or so after I sold out, those who bought would check in every so often to see if I had any more.

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had that happen, but I don't buy much on ebay. Once I had a guy tell me a watch I had listed was listed way too low. He didn't want me to get ripped off. I started the watch at 99.99. I thanked him and told him I was ok with the starting price. It ended up selling for 300+ dollars. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I paid 1 dollar for it at a garage sale.:icon_king:

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had that happen, but I don't buy much on ebay. Once I had a guy tell me a watch I had listed was listed way too low. He didn't want me to get ripped off. I started the watch at 99.99. I thanked him and told him I was ok with the starting price. It ended up selling for 300+ dollars. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I paid 1 dollar for it at a garage sale.:icon_king:

That is one of the perks of auction.. as long as its not an obscure item, the bidders normally will bring you up to the ballpark price. If I'm doing BIN, I start over what I think its worth and put Best Offer on.

I have done the same sort of thing - letting sellers know when their listings are way low... but generally only when I'm not in a buying frenzy :skullflag:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Sounds like he didn't understand how auctions work...

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the deal I mentioned in the mail the other day.. includes a key date 1822 capped bust dime. Trying not to be too psyched because the date is almost worn off completely. Going to post pics in coins forum thread. Hope he comes back to me with more, but I may have drained the vault..

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely just a helpful dude. I like to think that anyway.
I have posted things with fixed price best offer and people have offered me more than my ask instead of just buying it. Posted an item for $65 they sent an offer for 85 and I sold it to them. Very odd what happens sometimes. I find by and large, the case is usually the opposite. eBay is wrought with scum sucking snipers and bottom feeders. At least 5% of my transactions go south. The other 95% are good people with fair intentions.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I count as a scum sucking sniper or a bottom feeder myself..

Oh wait... :skullflag:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Apparently, I must be told how auctions work. I've been selling on eBay since '98 and a few might slip by below market price. But overall, I have no qualms about listing items way below market value as it generates more views (and bids) on my listings. When people become engaged in the bidding, some hate to lose and will continue their bids until they win. eBay is offering a promotion this week for 20% off selling fees for those items that sell for more than $50. I'm listing some gold coins starting at $.99. They will sell at market value.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently, I must be told how auctions work. I've been selling on eBay since '98 and a few might slip by below market price. But overall, I have no qualms about listing items way below market value as it generates more views (and bids) on my listings. When people become engaged in the bidding, some hate to lose and will continue their bids until they win. eBay is offering a promotion this week for 20% off selling fees for those items that sell for more than $50. I'm listing some gold coins starting at $.99. They will sell at market value.

Being the scum sucking sniper that I am, I will await your listings and hope you mistakenly list them at 0.99 BIN :occasion14::laughing7::skullflag:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Listed some commemorative sets with the $5 gold in each. Started them at $.99. They are at $220 after less than a day. They will settle out approx. $320. I am lousy at this auction thing.

Just in the few minutes since I posted my response, they have now been bid up to $270. This auction stuff is hard.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Which is what he meant by his response, reasons being the same thing you just said. Of course, this isn't going to work with many items. Sure pm's and other "in demand" collectible items will always generate bids to a fair market value, but many types of items need to sit a while before they will sell at a fair value. It all depends on what you are selling. It would be stupid to list most of my items at anything less than a minimum price I would be willing to accept, if I listed at auction, which I very rarely do anymore. When I sell pm's, I've always started with a .99 auction. My other items I try to list just below everyone else with a BIN.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Which is what he meant by his response, reasons being the same thing you just said. Of course, this isn't going to work with many items. Sure pm's and other "in demand" collectible items will always generate bids to a fair market value, but many types of items need to sit a while before they will sell at a fair value. It all depends on what you are selling. It would be stupid to list most of my items at anything less than a minimum price I would be willing to accept, if I listed at auction, which I very rarely do anymore. When I sell pm's, I've always started with a .99 auction. My other items I try to list just below everyone else with a BIN.

Exactly. Commodity items with an established price and good demand will generally sell for fair market value. The flip side of that is there are a lot of items that are what I like to call "high value, low demand". These are items that will sell for a good price to a small group of avid collectors....but the collector base is small enough that the chance of more than one person looking for that item at the same time is low. Without at least 2 interested parties auctions don't get anywhere near fair value.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, my favorite kind of item is something that has no sales on ebay. One of a kind things, rare things with avid collectors. Where I decide the market price and take offers.
Plus, the seller (like an estate sale company) can't find any references for price.
Items like this can also be sold at auction houses, skipping ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread