Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Automatic acceptance of returns[/h] Beginning in October 2017, returns requests may automatically be accepted to make the returns process easier for you and your buyers. eBay will automatically accept a return request and provide a return shipping label to the buyer when the buyer pays for return shipping. If you offer free returns or if you’re required to pay for the return shipping label, automatic acceptance will only occur if you have not replied to the buyer return request within three business days.
Automatic acceptance allows buyers to ship items back to you quickly and efficiently, and get their refunds sooner. You will also save time and receive reimbursement for final value fees.
You can continue to control the efficiency of your returns process by creating rules in your return preferences to automatically approve returns or send immediate refunds without requiring the buyer to send the item back.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All we can do is "HOPE" the Buyer does not use this policy it to switch items or remove / replace parts of items.
In other words, hopefully get back exactly what we sent.

Your Bud Aurum

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that email this morning, will there still be an option to not accept returns?

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that email this morning, will there still be an option to not accept returns?

From the FAQ section.

Can I still choose "No returns accepted?" Yes. However, listings that do not offer free returns will not benefit from our new marketing exposure and may result in lower conversion rates. A generous returns policy is important to buyers and increases their trust in you as a seller, so we encourage you to offer free returns.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All we can do is "HOPE" the Buyer does not use this policy it to switch items or remove / replace parts of items.
In other words, hopefully get back exactly what we sent.

Your Bud Aurum

From FAQ section:
What are you doing to prevent buyers from abusing the returns system? We employ several measures to prevent abuse of free returns:

• Early detection of buyers who might misuse sellers' returns offers to prevent them from starting a return
  • Clearly defined guidelines for acceptable returns
  • Clearly defined consequences, including restrictions for buyers who do not meet eBay returns policy standards or misuse the platform

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the FAQ section.

Can I still choose "No returns accepted?" Yes. However, listings that do not offer free returns will not benefit from our new marketing exposure and may result in lower conversion rates. A generous returns policy is important to buyers and increases their trust in you as a seller, so we encourage you to offer free returns.

So basically my listings won't show up at the top in search results unless I take a gamble with returns. When will ebay quit screwing with sellers?

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically my listings won't show up at the top in search results unless I take a gamble with returns. When will ebay quit screwing with sellers?

I really do just what I want and how I want to do it. If Johnny Consumer wants to buy my stuff great he/she will find it. If I wanted a boss I would leave retirement and put up with the crap.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Even if you don't sign up for taking returns, the Buyer only has to check "Item not as described" and your stuck paying for return postage anyway.

You also have to agree to 24 hour shipping to move yourself to the top of search results which is impossible for those of us that work during the day, unless you want to stay up till midnight packing.

Your Bud aurum

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you don't sign up for taking returns, the Buyer only has to check "Item not as described" and your stuck paying for return postage anyway.

You also have to agree to 24 hour shipping to move yourself to the top of search results which is impossible for those of us that work during the day, unless you want to stay up till midnight packing.

Your Bud aurum

I know how it currently works, but with thorough descriptions and detailed photos at least I currently have half a leg to stand on should the buyer have a case of buyers remorse.

Youre right about the 'fast n free' thing - it really does look like ebay is trying to weed out the small guys, which is sad since we are the ones that made ebay what it is today.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I never ship anything out without making a video of the entire process from clearly showing the item and it's functions to putting it in a marked box with shipping label and a picture of it on the scale showing weight.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Been selling for over 3 years now. I sell anywhere from 40 to 100+ items monthly. I used to offer 14 day returns. Have since changed to 30 day returns. I've only had a couple of returns that I felt like the buyer was abusing the system. They were both cases where the buyer claimed item not as described to avoid paying return shipping. It's a cost of doing business & not something that keeps me up at night. There are scammers out there but I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's maddening when it happens, but really it's a rare event. It probably depends on what category. I just had a buyer tell me of a big issue I didn't notice, but he didn't care because he was so happy to have it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread