How Long Do You Wait For Someone to Ship? Before You've Had Enough!!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 2 to 3 days is normal outside that I would be upset. Two weeks and I be getting my money back.

I did once have to wait 5 weeks for an item to arrive from Russia a Vostok but I had a tracking number. It arrived DOA and I sent it back and waited another 3 weeks for a replacement. I still have that watch and its been running for 10 years.

I don't remember the seller but he was great to work with.

Years ago I sold a watch to Hong Kong. It took over a month for him to get it. It was hung up somewhere! :laughing7: That was back when people were using bank checks, or post office checks, money orders, cash, personal checks, etc....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a good idea to cancel sales by selecting buyer wanted to cancel. If eBay finds out you will get a "defect". Enough of those & your selling account can be closed. If a buyer doesn't pay within whatever you consider a reasonable time you need to open an UnPaid Item case (UPI) through the system & let it run it's course. Better yet, go into your settings & have ebay automatically open a case for you. My account is set to open an UPI 4 days after the sale. Pretty sure you can set it for as few as 2 days. I don't send invoices, contact the buyer, or do anything else. If they pay I ship. If they don't I let the system do it's thing....I get my fees back.....& relist when the process is complete. Absolutely no reason to waste time and energy dealing with a buyer that doesn't pay in a reasonable amount of time. Letting eBay handle all that is part of what your fees pay for.
I was going to reply with a similar response. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that it really matters....But since I used this sale for the thought of the thread wondering what everyone thought about, "I've had enough already, forget it and give me my money back!!".

The Item did finally arrive today! Better than described by the seller too. So In a way I'm glad I took the chance and waited it out, I'm happy with it.

I doubt that I'll ever wait that long again for someone to ship though. Today was 2 weeks since auction end. He messaged me with an apology stating that he had a crazy week that week. I gave him the benefit of doubt and still left positive feedback since stuff usually happens when you least expect it and who knows what went on there.

Anyhow, since I was trashing the seller in a way...And a little worried about my money!!! :laughing7: I thought I would at least update the thread until the end. All is good, just late.

added, I just realized it's 1:22 Am Already!!! So....I guess it arrived yesterday.:tongue3:

Last edited:

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you got what you ordered. I have mixed feelings on this subject. I ship most items same or next day, but sometimes things happen and it takes an extra day. I specify 2 days handling to cover in case this happens. Generally when people have contacted me to prod me to ship faster, it is because they bought on a saturday night and it isnt uploaded first thing monday morning.

I bought something once from a lady without looking and she actually had specified a 7-15 day handling time. (took her 12 days to put it in the mail) She had a lot of negative feedback because of her long shipping times. when she did finally ship she sent me an email thanking me for being patient and explaining that she is in a very remote area, which does not have mail service, she has to go to a town 50 miles away to get and send mail, and that she has a PO Box there. I would have complained but after impulse buying and reading the listing after the fact I realized it was on me that she specified it and i would have to wait.

I have also made purchases from sellers, both new to ebay that take a very long time to ship, in each case i contacted them and explained how to buy postage through ebay and pay later, and they both shipped immediately after i told them. They simply didnt have the money to ship the items, and their paypal funds were on hold because they were new sellers.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you got what you ordered. I have mixed feelings on this subject. I ship most items same or next day, but sometimes things happen and it takes an extra day. I specify 2 days handling to cover in case this happens. Generally when people have contacted me to prod me to ship faster, it is because they bought on a saturday night and it isnt uploaded first thing monday morning.

I bought something once from a lady without looking and she actually had specified a 7-15 day handling time. (took her 12 days to put it in the mail) She had a lot of negative feedback because of her long shipping times. when she did finally ship she sent me an email thanking me for being patient and explaining that she is in a very remote area, which does not have mail service, she has to go to a town 50 miles away to get and send mail, and that she has a PO Box there. I would have complained but after impulse buying and reading the listing after the fact I realized it was on me that she specified it and i would have to wait.

I have also made purchases from sellers, both new to ebay that take a very long time to ship, in each case i contacted them and explained how to buy postage through ebay and pay later, and they both shipped immediately after i told them. They simply didnt have the money to ship the items, and their paypal funds were on hold because they were new sellers.

Yes!! I've also had the Friday night or Sat. Sun. buyers that don't understand what "ship within 2 business days" mean! :laughing7: I usually ship with in one full business day. I made a sale yesterday afternoon and had a message first thing this morning asking when I was going to ship. haha.....

I do understand the remote locations and people that are just selling their stuff that only make it to the post office Sat. morning. I've been in that situation before but always made sure it was written at the very top of the description.

I've also been on the end where when I started back up selling again I didn't realize that Ebay had that new policy where they held money for so many days or on certain items. I sold a bunch of stuff the first couple of days racking up shipping costs and didn't have the money to cover it. I ended up calling Ebay, Explaining that I've been on there off and on since 2005. I had 100% feedback, and even though I hadn't sold for a few years, I wasn't going to rip anyone off. :laughing7: At that time they did release enough money for me to ship with. So I was able to pull it off on time. They also held money on me when I sold some coin/precious metal related items. They also lifted that after a phone call. Ebay will work with you if you get on the phone and explain the situation, at least they have for me so far but I'm pretty persistent! :laughing7:

I'm not thrilled with the fees now, but it's still a good outlet for items that I couldn't get a quarter of the money for locally. We had New, factory sealed, movie and TV series box sets...Loads of them!!! We set up at a local fleamarket and only sold ONE!!! At $2!!! That night, I looked on Ebay and saw the same box sets selling from $15 - $80!!! Ya...I got back on Ebay that night and we sold most of them in a week. Ranging $19.99 to $61. So, I'll pay the fees!!! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The time to find out how long to ship is before the purchase. IMO I bought some seeds from Malaysia one time they said they shipped them right away but I didn't get them for 6 weeks. They refunded my money and I got the seeds the next week (7th week), contacted the seller, told them I finally got the seeds and how should I pay? They gave them too me and told me to give them good feedback on the next purchase. Not the way I would like for it to happen.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The time to find out how long to ship is before the purchase. IMO I bought some seeds from Malaysia one time they said they shipped them right away but I didn't get them for 6 weeks. They refunded my money and I got the seeds the next week (7th week), contacted the seller, told them I finally got the seeds and how should I pay? They gave them too me and told me to give them good feedback on the next purchase. Not the way I would like for it to happen.
^ I had something very similar to this happen to me once.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder if something like that gets caught up in customs?

That was another thing I ran into this week I know little about is global shipping. It's been a long time since I've shipped anything out of the county until this past week and I used the Global shipping program which I still don't completely understand the ins and outs of. I get people from other countries asking "how much to ship to......" I didn't respond to a couple of them since all of my listings say "Shipping to U.S and Canada only" in the shipping description. Some of the buyers get angry and stat messaging again..."HOW MUCH to SHIP TO .....!!!!! PLEASE!!!!" or something similar. My whole problem with doing it is that it's on the seller to know what is allowed into each country. That gets to be a little too much nonsense when listing items. When I looked at some of the lists of things not allowed? Some of it is obvious but there are tons of things that I would have never thought weren't allowed to be shipped to some countries. Movies,video games, some electronics, etc.....That type of thing should be on the Buyer to figure out, not the seller. Anyhow....I went off track!! :laughing7:

Last edited:

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as not having money for ahipping goes on ebay, if you use ebays postage labels, and you have funds on hold, when you go to print the label there is an extra box, very small and nobody ever looks at it lol.

30383iEA0EDA6E26F19D3A.png

Informing sellers of this fixes most problems.

As far as international shipping Use Ebays Global Shipping Program. I get a lot of sales through it. You are responsible to get ir to Ebays Kentucky processing center, after that it is on ebays hands.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a ukulele in from China. Took about a month but well worth it. We are so used to instant gratification with amazon prime, etc., that I think it is taking a toll on society. Everything has to happen Right Now.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently sold three items that went overseas. One was sent direct, and the others through buyer's trans-shipping company in the usa, or to a U.S address set up by the buyer. The most important thing about sending overseas to prevent additional customs delays in the receiving country is to include an invoice on the OUTSIDE of the package. It has to show the value of the item (well....you know...)
#1 - High-End Bushnell Rangefinder. Sent to Hong Kong through a U.S. address. Required due to Dept. of Commerce rules forbidding shipment outside the USA.
#2 - GTI 2500 package with four coils and the Treasure Hound Deep Seeker. Sent to Bolivia through a trans-shipper located in Miami.
#3 - $1400 Neumann Microphone sent directly to France with one-week hold in French Customs. Buyer very happy.

The microphone had been previously sold (Buy It Now), but the buyer never paid. eBay took care of the problem...credited me back their fees, and I relisted. The only hassle was the wait in order to relist.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Between the wife and myself - we have bought a ton of different things over the years. I am into a lot of different hobbies - so, EBay has really been fantastic for finding those one or two items to round off a collection. The one problem I hate about EBay is the amount of time it takes SOME sellers to mail out an item. It just pisses me off when I pay for USPS Priority Mail (2 day or 3 day) and the seller doesn't take it to the post office promptly. I asked a seller WHY he didn't take my winning item to the post office until 5 days later. He informed me that EBay isn't his only life! I asked him well why does he offer priority mail if he ONLY goes to the post office on Saturday morning. Yea - no reply. Believe it or not - I have run into a bunch of sellers that come across like they are doing you a favor so don't complain about their shipping routines. I even started a thread on Ebay (forum) complaining about the time some sellers take to actually ship an item. OMG - most of that thread was sellers flaming me for complaining. Unreal - anyway - two things I have learned. Read everything on the sellers listing about mailing winning items - some NOW state that they only go the post office once a week AND take the time to read their reviews - many times you will get the flavor of how quickly the seller mails out an item.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....How do I open 2 accounts? :laughing7: One for buying, one for selling. From what I've read, Ebay doesn't allow that. I call BS there has to be a way.
It must be possible because I called ebay on a different matter and the helper said just open a 2nd account to sell the items that were causing problems. (I was shipping light weight things just by 1st class letter without tracking and ebay was counting it as not shipping on time because no tracking was ever shown) (their first solution was ship by 1st class package at $3.50 I said no a 50¢ stamp would get it there)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Item did finally arrive today! Better than described by the seller too.
What do you want to bet he has a very good priced source for that drone. You buy his auction and he orders the drone. It takes a week and a half for him to get and then he sends to you.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One big problem if you cancel an order because they took too long to ship is you can not leave bad feedback.

A couple of years ago I had a problem with something I bought and never got it (can't remember all the circumstances) I went through the ebay channels and after I got my payment back I wanted to leave my feedback. Everything was gone I could not find the order info. I wanted to leave feedback after the refund. I could have left FB before the refund but then the seller could have left retaliatory FB.

tangledweb

Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship within 2 business days, usually within one. I can't imagine waiting over a week to ship! I'm too hyper for that!

How long do you wait for someone to ship? When do you have enough? I'm just curious how long most people give and when their patience run out!! I'm sure the amount the item cost plays into that too!!

If they don't ship within the specified time, file a claim for the return of your money and fees (if any). They won't be able to sell until that is resolved.

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a buyer who wasnt paying for week after week and my messages to him became increasingly tense with no reply at all until suddenly there was a message from his wife very apologetic telling me that her husband had died! Not sure if I believed it but it seemed sincere so of course I started Googling obits! Sure enough, he kicked the bucket! Patience is a virtue, one of the few we have left. So I left him crappy feedback! Just kidding!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread