How would you handle this

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a necklace recently and they received it almost 24 hours ago there is buyers remorse this is the message I got how would you handle it would you except a return or try to file buyers remorse on the item thank you for your input

My husband doesn’t like it; it did not really meet my expectations. I am sure someone else will feel differently and perhaps you can get your original asking price.
Thanks for your understanding,

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I sold a necklace recently and they received it almost 24 hours ago there is buyers remorse this is the message I got how would you handle it would you except a return or try to file buyers remorse on the item thank you for your input

My husband doesn’t like it; it did not really meet my expectations. I am sure someone else will feel differently and perhaps you can get your original asking price.

eBay will most likely side with the buyer but I'd make the buyer initiate the process. I get this from time to time, I ignore the messages. I've done my part and I'm not going to make it easy for a return, especially a return with a lame excuse like you're receiving. If the buyer has started a "case", I would just accept it, pay for return shipping (if you have too) and be done with it. Ebay generally won't back you on a case like this. Make sure what you get back is exactly what you sent out. You'll have the final say to close the case.......

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. Ebay sides with the buyer. That's why my wife gave up selling on Ebay. Fairly expensive items swapped out by the buyers who then returned knock-offs even though the psoting clearly stated "no returns". Buyer claimed "Wasn't as advertised" or "Damaged when received". Even though my wife had photos of the items as they were being packaged and alerted Ebay to the old switcheroo, Ebay sided with buyer. Easy way for people to rip off sellers. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice...
dts

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had this before. I just take item back and sell it again.If it is switcheroo, I'd contact authorities. That is fraud. Losses due to crime are tax deductible. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a fairly expensive item 18k Tiffany necklace I’m concerned that they’re going to do the old switcheroo thanks for all the opinions they haven’t open the case yet they just sent me a message

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay won't always side with the buyer!! I've only had it happen 4 times and they sided with me every time!!!! I will give Ebay credit for that. Sometimes, it's not easy and you may have to make a couple phone calls to Ebay.

"Buyers remorse" is not a reason to return an item.....Unless!!! You say in your listing that you accept returns. Or how you have that worded. I have in my listings that "I do not accept returns unless an error on my part. So please look at the pictures! That is part of my description since condition is subjective, if you need more pictures or have any questions please message me! I'll be happy to answer any questions...." or something like that.

I then choose if I'm going to accept a return or not. Since you have the message, Because Ebay does look at those, so be careful what you say or promise in messaging, They will see it's buyers remorse. What is written in your above post is certainly "buyers remorse." But...That all comes down to your return policy too!! Ebay will also remove negative feedback if the buyer leaves it.

One was with a pocket watch. The guy was claiming "not as described" So I kept the messages going, he changed his story 3 times before accusing me of scamming. I called Ebay, they looked at everything, and sided with me. Because in one message he was claiming he found one cheaper....And I should give partial refund......Then he kept sending me multiple messages saying "Please". I'd reply with "NO". I'll bet he sent me 30 messages trying all different routes. :laughing7: I probably would have taken the return for him, but I was dead broke, needed diapers, and accepted his low ball offer of something like $275 on a $500 watch.I didn't even want to sell the watch to begin with. He even tried the "you over charged for the item", I'd send him completed sales listings. The only reason I played his game was because I knew Ebay would side with me and I just let him dig a deeper hole.

With your item I'd do whatever I could to not accept the return. You may not get the same necklace back, then it's real hard to prove who did what. That's what happens with watches since parts are so hard to find!! Parts get swapped, and the watch gets sent back. Usually, you would never be able to prove this happened.

added,,,,
I take that back,,,I forgot about one...I had a lady return software, that claimed it didn't work. Ebay told me they were sorry but there was nothing they could do since we couldn't prove if it was good or not, easily. And I did give the refund because I made very little on it and it would have cost more for return shipping. I issued the refund and told her to throw it away, I didn't want it back if it didn't work. That's the only one. And Software,games, dvd's are a hard category to prove anything and you make very little when said and done. They did say they would watch that buyer for repeat returns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I would have to except the return I do have a 14 day return policy but the problem I have that is not because it wasn’t as described or the item wasn’t what they were looking at or that it was damaged it’s because of buyers remorse so now I’m just trying to figure out if I should call eBay and discuss it with them before they send a return request or just wait and see what happens if they follow through with it

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I would have to except the return I do have a 14 day return policy but the problem I have that is not because it wasn’t as described or the item wasn’t what they were looking at or that it was damaged it’s because of buyers remorse so now I’m just trying to figure out if I should call eBay and discuss it with them before they send a return request or just wait and see what happens if they follow through with it

I wouldn't be afraid to call them, I'd even ask..."If this happens again? What can I do to protect myself!" if you get someone cool on the phone they will tell you. It's tough sometimes to get through to them and takes some messing around. But they probably have my name and number flagged I'm on the phone so much. I like dealing person to person and that is what we pay fees for! So, they can deal with people like me! :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay will most likely side with the buyer but I'd make the buyer initiate the process. I get this from time to time, I ignore the messages. I've done my part and I'm not going to make it easy for a return, especially a return with a lame excuse like you're receiving. If the buyer has started a "case", I would just accept it, pay for return shipping (if you have too) and be done with it. Ebay generally won't back you on a case like this. Make sure what you get back is exactly what you sent out. You'll have the final say to close the case.......

Hey! Are you 1320 from the car channel? or one of them ? Just thought I'd ask! I know it's the quarter mile judging by the flames. Been watching a ton of vids lately and was just curious.....

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I accept returns. If there's something wrong on my end I pay return shipping. If it's buyers remorse they pay return shipping. I'd cross the "switcharoo" bridge if/when I got there. Not everyone is a scammer.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a return where I relisted and sold for even more. I have gotten neutral feedback where seller complained I described it wrong. He could have had a total refund, if he just messaged me. I have a better policy than Amazon, I will pay for return shipping too. Some buyers gonna complain no matter what. You CANNOT make these folks happy. They are MENTALLY ILL. Just block them from any future bids.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here’s an update I called them and discussed it with them for almost an hour to matter what I said because I had the 14 day return that they told me it covers buyers remorse when it clearly states buyers guarantee in their policy is not covered under buyers remorse they still forced me to except the item back the person waited till the last day to ship it back to me now I’m waiting for it in the mail we’ll see what happens thanks for all the advice

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

In general, I try to avoid trouble with people. I would offer to refund without shipping. I would file for fees, and relist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread