I think this is old!!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Found this on lunch today! I am pretty sure it is really old! What do y'all think?

image-166228586.jpg

image-1611686534.jpg

image-1149157332.jpg

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
It's a bladelet or a flake blade. Assuming it was found in context it's a nice example. I primarily see them in Woodland sites but I'm sure they show up in other strata as well. Cool find.

Joe

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Twitch said:
It's a bladelet or a flake blade. Assuming it was found in context it's a nice example. I primarily see them in Woodland sites but I'm sure they show up in other strata as well. Cool find.

Joe

Woodland! I was thinking older, but woodland sounds good to me! I have been on a quest to find pottery in my home town, but can't. All of my sites seem too primitive . Along with this piece, I found what looked like a small pot chard. I was too embarrassed to post it, that is how small it is. This was only my second 15 minute trip to this site. The strange point I posted came from there as well. I'll have more time in the morning to look that place over. I hope woodland is right. Thanks for viewing!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Found this on lunch today! I am pretty sure it is really old! What do y'all think?

This sort of flake blade has to be in the running for the "universal tool."

"Blade tool definition:
1. twice as long as wide with blade margins fairly parallel.
2. two or more longitudinal crests or ridges indicating other flakes were removed from the core in the same direction.
Blades are the hallmark of the European Upper Paleolithic period and have antecedents in the Mousterian and perhaps even the late Acheulean periods. Many of the tools made on blades decribed for the European Upper Paleolithic are found also at sites in North America." ....B. Purdy, FLORIDA'S PREHISTORIC STONE TECHNOLOGY

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Harry Pristis said:
This sort of flake blade has to be in the running for the "universal tool."

"Blade tool definition:
1. twice as long as wide with blade margins fairly parallel.
2. two or more longitudinal crests or ridges indicating other flakes were removed from the core in the same direction.
Blades are the hallmark of the European Upper Paleolithic period and have antecedents in the Mousterian and perhaps even the late Acheulean periods. Many of the tools made on blades decribed for the European Upper Paleolithic are found also at sites in North America." ....B. Purdy, FLORIDA'S PREHISTORIC STONE TECHNOLOGY

Thank you Harry. You are backing my original thought. I thought paleo, but was happy to hear woodland because I want to find some Person Co. Pottery. I have read that these were used in all times. I really could not say with 100% certainty ! Thanks Harry. Always good to hear your point of view. Now Gator's turn. Lol! Just messin with ya Harry.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!!!!! They made that tool in every time frame. Good addition to your collection.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I digress.. ha ha. That was an interesting excerpt Harry posted by a very knowledgeable woman. It touches on the theory that north America was first populated via an Atlantic side crossing from northern Europe. VS. the western land bridge theory.

110098.jpeg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The
Solutreans make sense to me as technology seems to have come from the east. More clovis finds in the south east than anywhere else,,,, 20,000 verses 12,000 old. I vote 20,000 as the evidence is leaning that way. Hot topic that one.

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The
Solutreans make sense to me as technology seems to have come from the east. More clovis finds in the south east than anywhere else,,,, 20,000 verses 12,000 old. I vote 20,000 as the evidence is leaning that way. Hot topic that one.

I'm with you on that! no doubt about it...............HH

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very hot. Seems obviousness though...at least to me.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To stay on the subject; That is really nice flake knife that you have found. :icon_thumright: The age usually boils down to what stratum it was found in, or point types it is found with.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
old digger said:
To stay on the subject; That is really nice flake knife that you have found. :icon_thumright: The age usually boils down to what stratum it was found in, or point types it is found with.

I'm with you there. I really hope that I have a woodland site! We will see what I come out with tomorrow!

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I don't think that is a Woodland piece. You need to look much older. Look up Waller Knife. That micro flaking is amazing, superb piece!

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look up Lamellar blade,very typical of mound culture, Hopewell etc. Good chance of finding pottery on that site.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I think I missed on this one. I have to agree with justonemore. I guess I can blame my earlier post on it being just to early in the morning for artifact ID! It still is an excellent artifact. It's just not every day you see that kind of quality in later lithics.

N

natchitoches

Paleoindian & Other Archaeological Stuff

this web site thinks that both ways happen. the big body clovis came down from the northwest and the Solutreans down from the northeast.
the Folsom came from the Solutreans .read more about it here.
really a great read

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Do you know the material? Sure looks like flint ridge from Ohio from the pics...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcb66 said:
I think I missed on this one. I have to agree with justonemore. I guess I can blame my earlier post on it being just to early in the morning for artifact ID! It still is an excellent artifact. It's just not every day you see that kind of quality in later lithics.
I'm interested in what makes you think that. About the quality of later lithics being somehow lesser.

Last edited:

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Look at the Paleo stuff;almost always fine grain, high quality material. Core stones from known quarries were traded all over place. Most Paleo points you see can be traced back to known quarries simply by the quality and type of the material. Try doing that with a standard middle woodland point. It's almost impossible. Not that there aren't some jewels out there. It's just that later people tended to use what was available and not care so much about materials, grain size, etc.. NC field finders blade is not patinated and was created with only 4 strikes, every strike being intentional and exact. Not unlike a Clovis or Folsom point. It is a high quality piece. My point of view is based upon location also. I haven't evaluated many artifacts from areas other than the southeastern U.S. Rules may be different elsewhere.
Michael

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread