Ancient Greek plates? would love to know more about these. Can you help me?

rebel0718

Jun 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I purchased these two plates at an estate sale in my home town of Spokane, Washington. They reminded me of pictures I remembered seeing of ancient Greek pottery. When in inquired about them, the woman running the sale told me that they had been her grandmothers. She did not know exactly what they were, but she remembered seeing them on display when visiting as a child and her grandmother had told her they were very old. Of course, I have no way of knowing if that was really the case or not, but she had me interested enough at that point to bring them home. The plates measure approx. 5" wide and each weigh only 1.5 oz.

I would love to know if these are just attractive Greek reproductions or if they are indeed very old and need to be cared for as such. If anyone out there can forgive my ignorance and help further my education a bit here, I would be grateful!
20150601_193205.jpg 20150601_193158.jpg 20150601_193226.jpg 20150601_193216.jpg 20150601_193240.jpg

Obelix

Oct 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ! Your dishes are not ancient Greek! Some years after the war. The ancient Greeks used other paint .

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
They appear to be of poor quality. I would guess done by an amateur, perhaps in an art class? I agree, they are probably recent. The Greek stuff I've seen at the British Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC is shiny with the designs baked into the glaze. The detail has also been quite good, of course I was looking at the best of the best, but still...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions