earthquake in the bradshaws?

• Thread starter pippinwhitepaws
  • Start date
OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

so, no one thinks it is odd to have an earthquake in the bradshaws?

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been in there working a creek when a sunday morning mine shot went off....
But other than that...in 12 years of living in az period i can only recall feeling a quake one
time around 97-8 time period.

DW

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
That "Mine Shot" could have easily the been "The/A Quake" !
I have felt them before, when I was in the mnts !
The "shock(wave)" travels" thru the ground/rock for miles !
You/I can feel the "compression" of the "blast", when you stand there!

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Not sure why this earthquake would be a big surprise. It is believed that there are fault line on all four sides of the Bradshaw Mountains.

Source: "Bulletin 782: Ore Deposits Of The Jerome And Bradshaw Mountains Quadrangles, Arizona".

Joe Ribaudo

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 372

riddleguy

Feb 25, 2009
I took a few geology courses in college and the professor identified faults in both the Mingus and Bradshaw Mountains. As I remember she said that it is a very active area seismologically, but because the faults are rather slippery the quakes are always (mercifully) small.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
RG,

That seems to be the situation for the Bradshaws. Don't understand why it was touted as such a big mystery, as the information is very easy to come by. "Bulletin 782: Ore Deposits Of The Jerome And Bradshaw Mountains Quadrangles, Arizona" can be found on the Internet, as well as:

The Daily Courier - Feb 24, 1995

"In the fairly recent past we have had mild earthquakes in Yavapai County, often unnoticed by residents. Waldemar Lindgren, the mining geologist who made a detailed study of the faults in Central Arizona, wrote that there were more ancient fractures in the Bradshaw Mountains than anywhere in the country. These fractures were filled with dikes of diabase, andesite and rhyolite, and were most certainly accompanied by violent earthquakes at the time."

Mystery solved!

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread