detecting the salt river

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I haven't tried it, but I have tried on a tributary to the Salt Rivier, Sycamore Creek. I have been trying to find some place that is reasonably close that might be worth spending more time at, but so far I think the Bradshaws are best bet. When I was up at Sycamore Creek, I got a lot of trash, shell casings, aluminum cans, etc., I did find one very small flec of gold, so small I needed a magnifying glass to spot it. So my theory on what you would get on the Salt River would be a bunch of trash and if you did find gold, it would probably be similar to what I found at Sycamore. The thing is, gold is not going to occur very frequently the farther away you get from the actual source of it, and the farther away you get, the more likely it will be in smaller pieces. And the closer you are to a populated area or frequently visited spot, the more trash you will find. I'm planning on going to the Bradshaws this weekend; but in the future, I would like to try to get down to the Arivaca area, because I think that might be a good place to MD.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was me ,I'd hit where the tubers get out an have a break or in spots with some sorta beach or where the tubers normaly exit the river ,if all alse fails just hit the river an dig what beeps ,what have you got to lose.good luck :icon_thumright:

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
That sounds like a great idea, especially in the winter when the river is very low. I can imagine, all up and down the riverbed would be good hunting, once someone loses something in the water, it's just waiting for ya.

OP
OP
DashChemical

DashChemical

Greenie
Sep 23, 2007
arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have been more clear. I was referring to looking for the tubers lost goodies and If any one has had much success. Any idea when they lower the river?

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Got me, I know I have seen pictures of it with no water at all and the pictures said it was in the winter. That would mean sometime between after the monsoon and the winter.

If I find out I'll let you know, I wouldn't mind a run up there when the river is low, that place is humming with tubers. When I was up there about two weeks ago, I counted about 10 full buses headed upstream, and that was just on my way out! Maybe I ought to go tubing up there, that would give me an idea where to look later. (With some nice scenery too, if you get my drift). As far as success, I think Tank is right, I haven't done it before, but given the massive traffic, there simply has to be some good pickings there.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the SRP website. There's a place on there where they tell how much water they're releasing & what levels are.
Under the bridges were good a few years back. Seems everyone hung around under the bridges, drinking & barbequing. It was pulltab hell though. I've talked to a guy that makes some good money selling designer sunglasses he finds snorkeling, needless to say all his friends and co-workers got nice shades!

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Its usually Oct or Nov when they lower the Water, there is good stuff found every year but theres a lot of trash too ( beer cans,pulltabs etc.) lots of rocks.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gotta dig the trash to get the treasure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread