onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years back my son and I located a mine with a wooden door on it . The mine had no tailings left behind so it was difficult to detect. It lays out side of bumble bee near the old fort on the top of the hill. Last month we returned to the area climbed to the top of the hill to reach the old fort we looked for hours and could not find a trace of that mine. any ideas? its somewhere near the bottom of the hill goes in for a while and the shaft leads stright up like I said very few if any tailings I know the early mexican miners left no trace of the diggings but there methods were something like rat holes not as big as this one. The fort is pretty cool made from shale from a pit several hundred yards down the creek bed had to be a hell of alot of work to get all that up that hill. this fort has a great advantage its at the very top with a great view 360 Don t know if this was Spanish or not. has anyone seen this ? lots of gun ports and a heck of a climb.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got it spooky. Reminds me of mustang ranch, oh maybe 30 years ago you know two (xxxxxx)

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
hi, you were at fort tule.
looking at a topo map http://arizona.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,3,fid,24421,n,fort tule.cfm
it looks like there is a mine just north east of the fort.
there are old mines all over the area and the state has filled in a few of them.
someone filpped a jeep upsidedown into a shaft last year, the rescue was on the news.
hard rock mine are deadly, the easy gold is in the washes.
steve

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort tule is not even close the old fort is aprox.34,113304...n112 11'15.74w the mine we are seeking is somewere below this fort near the river (creek)

Stang5_0

Greenie
Apr 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
That sure looks interesting, and I really like that area.
I'd be willing to spend a day out there looking around now that I know where I'm going if you want some company.

Stang

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
sorry, when you said fort, and the way you described it i was thinking of a different area.
however, i think i have been to the mine and fort you are talking about.
but i was told by a local miner that lives out there, that fort was an Indian Dwelling.
i thought that was odd as there were gun ports as you said, no pot shards, and 3 dug out holes (sold rock) in the ruin.
one that looks like it was covered by a 7 ft slab of shale.
anyway the mine is west of the fort and over looks castle creek. about here
let me know if that's the one. i can give you a bit more info.
Steve

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leadnugget you are about right on. If you can lift that slab you ll find a cross inscribed on it. trouble is can t find the exact location of where it was placed before being knocked over. according to the late Tommy Cleator it pointed to a old hidden mine somewhere in the hills. Tommy was adiment about this, says when he was out and about he found it, water at 75 feet. very well hidden., could have been mex. guess they left little taillngs. The mine with the door went in about 5 feet ,turned right aprox 20 feet then stright up. Is this sound familliar?In Oct. last year my son and I tried to find Virgil he lives up around the old swastica mine area but he was out cutting trails over at Middleton area. Thought if anyone knows the Brads he would. anyway woun t make it back there till spring.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
that doesn't sound like the mine i was at.
it did look Spanish/mexican the way it was dug. very tight shaft just wide enough to follow the vein.
ill take some pictures next time im out there, might be a few weeks.
i want to nugget hunt some of the newly exposed bed rock on the east side of the brads.
by the way you must have a sharp eye, that fort is somewhat hard to see if you don't know its there.
i drove past it many times with out ever noticing it.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leadnugget, as I said the late Tommy Cleator steered my son and I over 20 years ago to that fort. at that time we couldn't find a pop top nor a match book cover anywhere near this site. back then that slab was up rite. If you follow the stream you ll find a old foundation and the place were the shale was taken to build that fort. Maybe I ll see you in the spring. A lot of float around there. Have you been to the bad air mine? if not take some gold fish food with you the pond is in frount of that large bamboo tree.

Stang5_0

Greenie
Apr 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Funny you mention the Bad Air Mine. I've been studying the trails to it. There are quite a few I want to start hitting, but that one I'm still trying to figure out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread