From Okinawa to Luke

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
First: My name is Matt I have been in the USAF for 12 years and my Family and I are going to be moving to Luke this summer.

Second: Have been metal detecting for about 4 years now. Started in Florida while stationed there, and still swing when I can find time hear in beautiful Okinawa. Mostly for coins (over here they have 500yen coins that = about $5.50).

Third: Looking at getting into some recreational gold hunting (detecting, panning, high banking etc...)

Questions: Any recommendations on clubs in the Phoenix area? Plan on attending meetings before joining but interested in your thoughts on local clubs.
Is it safe to take my family with me into the desert (yes I own a firearm and was a firearm instructor for 4 years, yes we will bring plenty of water, survival supplies, etc.), but have you had any "bad experiences" that would make you shy away from taking your family out with you?
What equipment would you recommend I start researching i.e. what has been the most successful way that you find gold? Would like to read up on this and get a little smart about it before I get there. That whole look before you leap thing.

I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks to all in advance. Look forward to meeting some of you when we head that way.

Matt

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Matt. after years of learning the history and back roads between Phoenix and Prescott I decided to join the road runner club out of Mesa. great club had gone on many outings and the group is more then helpful on any questions you may have, it's a little pricey but worth it. You also have the GPPA or there are a few in Wittinburg area.Have fun and take your kids hunting.

OP
OP
bigfish

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Onfire thanks for the info. I have looked at the RR website and it is a club I plan on checking out. Thanks again
Matt

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
"Is it safe to take my family with me into the desert?"

I have not had any type of bad experiences out there, and for the most part, many of the stories you do hear are just plain bull. It is like the US media, they publicize one bad event and everyone gets paranoid because they begin to think every neigborhood is like that. It is safer than in the city, as long as you use common sense.

OP
OP
bigfish

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
That is kind of what I figured. Speaking of the desert being safer than the city are we are looking at living on the West side of town maybe the Surprise area. Is that a good part of town. If not where would you recommend?

So, I told my 7 year old daughter about prospecting man does she have some plans for all that gold she has already found. Not only are we going to be prospecting she wants me to make jewelry for her out of it. You know Dad can do everything. Guess I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks again everyone. My family and I really appreciate your local knowledge.

OP
OP
bigfish

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Thanks KC10! We have enjoyed our time overseas but are ready to be back in the States. :thumbsup:

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Surprise is ok.....Wadell is worse.....though there are nice pockets in both places.....just like Glendale, Avondale, Litchfield.......no matter where you go you will find the good the bad and the ugly.....generally the lower income areas are the older neighbor hoods.....and they have more problems with gang bangers.......stay to the north or west of the Base and you should have no problems, there is a lot of new development in that area.....good luck....I have a brother in law and sister on that base where you are rotating out from.....they have been there over 10 years....they seam to like it.........

have fun good luck.....and there are plenty of places to treasure hunt.....get out and see the great outdoors....

db

OP
OP
bigfish

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Dan thanks for the info are their any places that are better than "ok"?

We are headed that way from Okinawa Japan.

Thanks again!

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Sure there are quite a few spectacular places to live.....a few things to consider is how far do you want to drive daily.....secondly how much do you want to spend.....most of the up scale neighbor hoods would be say Paradise valley,north Scottsdale, Carefree, Troon, Silver leaf, Grey Hawk, Desert Highlands, Camel back Mountain......most of these neighbor hoods are are cross town....from Luke....
There are some very nice large 5, 10 acre home sites from say 67 ave....and Dear Valley to just south of Lake Pleasant....down to Bell rd.......nice open areas 20- 40 min drive.....phx is really a large place our metropolitan area with all the townships and cities cover an area that is over 90 miles across east to west and about 65 miles tall...north and south with everything in between...it is really hard to say which part is "better" everybody has their own idea of better...if you want more detailed info e-mail me any time...be glad to help...

db

OP
OP
bigfish

bigfish

Dec 19, 2006
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Dan
Thank you again! I will send you an email this weekend. Bottom line is we are looking to stay within a 30 minute drive from base. Where I am from that equals 30 miles where we are now in Okinawa that equals about 3 or 4 miles, so we definitely need some local knowledge on this. If we were going to stay more than the 3-4 years that the AF will have us there we would be looking for a place with some land away from town. As it is we are planning on sub-division life :'( .

I didn't now that the area was that large.

Others please fill free to pipe in. I really do need some local help I know this is not exactly gold related...

Thanks all,
Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread