old school prospecting..

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Randy:
How about we take a trip up to the "Lost Pick" Mine area (?) when I get there ?
Supposed to be a really Rich Mine!
It's just east of the Verde River, north of Horse Shoe Dam!

Attachments

• s- Jeep.jpg
    s- Jeep.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,293
  • s- Jeep.jpg
    s- Jeep.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,277
OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sign me up sir!!! Just gimme a call when you get in the area and we'll set up a meeting.

I might take a trip up to the Estrella's next weekend too, see if I can find that old shaft. Hopefully they didn't destroy it yet... I'll take pictures if I find it, and e-mail them to you. I know you were interested in that too.

Shadowed_Blue

Greenie
Jun 21, 2006
SoCal
You wouldn't by chance be referring to the old Stone House Spanish Mine in the Southeastern Sierra Estrellas would you?? Why would that one be destroyed unless you mean by vandalism. Seems pretty far out of the way and quite some effort for vandals to get to. That is why it has lasted all these years.

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shadowed_Blue said:
You wouldn't by chance be referring to the old Stone House Spanish Mine in the Southeastern Sierra Estrellas would you?? Why would that one be destroyed unless you mean by vandalism. Seems pretty far out of the way and quite some effort for vandals to get to. That is why it has lasted all these years.

Yes, and Yes by vandalism. People around this area like to destroy things. Just look at what's missing from the Superstitions. Pisses me off.

Have you been there? Do you know where it is? If so, would you mind being my tour guide?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
PLEASE! PLEASE!
Let us NOT! Forget our own Govt.
The NFS, BLM and others have and are in the process of "LeveLing" ALL! Traces of man in the Department's areas !
They have "bulldozed" many, many ghost towns, cabins, etc..
Completely removing any and ALL! Traces !
AND!
To Discourage Any Metal Detecting!

Even to spreading "Iron Chips" all over the area,

"I LOVE MY COUNTRY! BUT! HATE MY GOVERNMENT"

A Very Apt statement I forget where I read it...BUT! >:(

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's right! Forgot about the worst of them all..

Shadowed_Blue

Greenie
Jun 21, 2006
SoCal
Yeah, I suppose you guys are right about that. It's a sad thing too. I have heard about some "bat lady" that works for BLM or some other government "protect you from yourself" organization that has been traveling around Arizona trying to seal up all open mine shafts yet still allow for bats to come and go. Seems like a waste of time and money to me as leaving them as is has worked for hundreds of years.

As for the Old Stone House Spanish Mine you don't really need a tour guide. Ask any local quail hunter that frequents the Estrellas and they will know where the place is and provide directions. Also, lots of web sites that can provide directions, maps etc. Just remember....plenty of water and watch for snakes!! Some of the largest and meanest rattlesnakes in all of Arizona live in the Estrellas. I think the area is like a retirement home for grouchy mean old rattlers that got kicked out of other areas for being just too ornery. A real good info site can be found at

http://www.brazilbrazil.com/arizona.html

Read all the links as each has different yet valuable information. Sure would be interesting to see if anything was down at the bottom of that shaft though. Who knows, maybe it is another Victorio peak. The shaft down sure looks like the one "Doc" Noss described. Maybe send in a remote camera or if maybe there was somebody brave and determined enough to actually venture in......Gollum??? ;)

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll go down that sucka, but only with a 45 on my hip! :o

Thanks for the rattlesnake warning. Nothing scares me more than that, so I'll wait until it gets colder to seek out this one. No hurry anyway. Hopefully after Christmas those mean old snakes will be frozen in their tracks, then I can get in!

That camera idea is a really good one. Gotta get one of those.

BTW, I can understand closing up most of the shafts. Drug dealer/manufacturers are taking up shelter in them these days, making Meth and whatever they want. It's scarrier than snakes really, as they are wayyyy more desperate.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Go here.
http://www.amazon.ca/Prospecting-Operating-Small-Gold-Placers/dp/0471085146

Prospecting and Operating Small Gold Placers (Hardcover)
by W. F. Boericke

He wrote this way back and it is now out of print. I bought mine back in 1982.
I still would not sell it for less than $100.
Some of what he has in there is no longer legal (hydro mining), but he goes though all of it for placers including plans for how to make your own "knock down rocker".
Hard core, hard backed, 5&1/2"s by 4"s and about 5/16s of an inch thick.
Not for the person that doesn't want to really learn about gold and placers.<G>

I learned about the book back in the 70s, when I bought something called "The Last Whole Earth Catalog", and they mentioned it as "the book to have".

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
hey cptbil, I know that area very well.
there are 2 ways to get in that area and both are some of the roughest 4 wheeling I have done. also you will have to cross the Verde river 1 or 2 times and it can be deep enough to flood a lifted 4x4.
there is a small mine shaft that I know of, it is on chalk mountain. I think they were getting turquoise or some other blue stone out of it. I took some of it out of the mine last time I was there.
good luck with the lost pick.
Steve

Attachments

• P1010041.JPG
    P1010041.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,231

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
djui5 said:
I'll go down that sucka, but only with a 45 on my hip! :o

Guns and mines don't mix my friend. The sound waves could cause a cave in. Think of avalanches...
I recommend a stun gun for the druggies and a crow bar for the snakes. ;D
Have fun! ;)
Daisy

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice. I was kidding though :) Never thought about shooting a gun in a mine like that. Sure would cause a cave-in I'm sure. Make sense.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Don't delude yourself into thinking a weapon isn't needed!
Down where I go,
"The Druggies" (smuggglers) are running around with automatttttic weapons! :-\
A crowbar, against a "rattler?"
That means you gotta get close and personal !
The last "rattler" I saw, (The Bradshaw Mnts) was a good 5 1/2 footer !
That means, about a 33" strike !
AND! He ? was a Mohave Rattler ! :P
Most deadly kind around !
It was easier, for me and "Bugs", to just back off, break out the camera,
take a few "pics" and walk away! ;D
That way, no one got hurt !
After all !
I Was In HIS! Yard !

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
cptbil... I was just kidding... I'm from Ontario. The only snakes we have to worry about around here are the one eyed variety. ;)
Take care of yourself ;D
Daisy

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
cptbil said:
[
"I LOVE MY COUNTRY! BUT! HATE MY GOVERNMENT"

And let's not forget some of teh people here are not what we used to be in America. they are whiners, victims, and looking for the easy way to get money from anyone they can. Many times from teh government, which supports them!

Hey Bill, are you in AZ yet? How often you get here?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
JRF30:
"We" will be in Southern Arizona this coming March
Atleast, that is where "we'll" be starting from!
"We" fully intend to be out for about 12 months or longer
Contact me here on the "Forum" or a PM
We have sites all of the way into No. CA. that we are going to be looking into!
Ever hear of the "RACE TRACK" ?
Where the rocks actually, move along the valley floor! :o
OR!
How about Death Trap Mnt ?
With it's deadly, to the touch, killer Blue/Gray Rock ! :o

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Daisy said:
cptbil... I was just kidding... I'm from Ontario. The only snakes we have to worry about around here are the one eyed variety. ;)
Take care of yourself ;D
Daisy
LMAO Daisy :D ;D ;D
MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread