New pics of the "Potato Patch" at Rich Hill, AZ

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New pics of the "Potato Patch" at Rich Hill, AZ

(Also posted in Hard Rock Mining)
I was browsing Google Earth today and found they have a 5-14-2011 pic of the "patch" above Stanton, AZ. Looks to be pretty active! You can also see at least 8/9 foundation structures from earlier miners. 34 10.581N 112 42.634W. "Randy's" place is just below at 34 10.195N 112 43.243W. You can see his crane, conveyor belt, shaker/sluice setup and more. Randy has given TimC and I carte-blanche on the place with our MDs. No nuggies yet... VERY difficult terrain... for us old farts! I am posting this to show that Google Earth has done some good resolution pics of the area. NOTE: Both the Potato Patch and Randy's are PRIVATE and actively monitored. Permission to hunt is required! Check 'em out. TTC

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New pics of the "Potato Patch" at Rich Hill, AZ

Thanks Terry for the info. Have you ever hunted that land they cleared for that subdivision, out side of Wittenburg on the way to Stanton??? I think it was the old Merv Griffen ranch.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No, I have not. TimC and I spend alot of time on the Weaver and Y Not claims around Stanton, AZ. Tim sat on a claim east of Wickenburg for nearly a month, knowing that the owner in Milwaukee, WI was delinquent on the yearly upkeep... only to find the previous seller (appearantly with inside connections) jumped back on it. CRUDE and IILEGAL! But, Oh well... Take care. TTC

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terry I'm from Milw. any idea who that claim owner is???

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

onfire said:
My brother TimC Knows. I have been told what it is but cannot in this moment remember. I'll ask him and get back. TTC

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI

You'd think that by now there would be nothing left there . . . . but you never really know.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Skywola said:
You'd think that by now there would be nothing left there . . . . but you never really know.
Not so, not so! A special in the Nat Geo Mag (I think) said only 10% of available gold has been mined. That amount, if pooled together, would not fill an average sized private home! With technologies getting better and better, and the price going out the roof, more people will be afield, finding more. Most of mine is still there! Hey, baby! Daddy's coming! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TerryC said:
onfire said:
My brother TimC Knows. I have been told what it is but cannot in this moment remember. I'll ask him and get back. TTC
Onfire,
The previous owner of the claim TimC sat on is from Prairie Du Chien, WI

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks guy any name? Know that part well

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

onfire said:
thanks guy any name? Know that part well
The name is..... Cindy Reynolds and son, Grant. Now you are up to speed. TTC

LECTRICHEART

Aug 18, 2011
Hillside Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter BB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Terry, Jack and Laura Culp used to have that claim on Rich Hill. Did Laura sell out? Jack died a few years ago. Just wondering. And if so, do you know who has it now?

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Just curious about the terminology "Potato Patch". There's another place 25 miles west of Trinadad, Colorado which is also called the "Potato Patch" where locals go to prospect. Is this term "miners" speak for an "actively worked" area where gold nuggets have been found ? I've only been doing this for about five years, so pardon my ignorance about some prospecting terminology.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious about the terminology "Potato Patch". There's another place 25 miles west of Trinadad, Colorado which is also called the "Potato Patch" where locals go to prospect. Is this term "miners" speak for an "actively worked" area where gold nuggets have been found ? I've only been doing this for about five years, so pardon my ignorance about some prospecting terminology.

use to find nuggets the size of potatoes.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the original "potatoe patch" was just south of walker, on the slope before the ridge. some people have moved the name to fit their option on history of arizona.
and yes, nuggets the size of potatoes were recovered there.
several of these nuggets used to be on display at the old arizona bank in prescott. when first interstate took over the bank, the nuggets were moved to an unknown location.
there is a treasure hunt for you...where's the nuggets?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....there is a "Potato Patch",in just about every gold Bearing region:thumbsup:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure seems that way...
i haven't been out to rich hill in a few years...sure was a torn up piece of property then.
spent lots of time looking for the safe from walnut creek...

You'd think that mystery could be figured out with a math equation. and a big detector.:dontknow: What does history say was in it?

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, Jack and Laura Culp used to have that claim on Rich Hill. Did Laura sell out? Jack died a few years ago. Just wondering. And if so, do you know who has it now?
Lectric, If you're still asking, I'll do a search in the BLM and Yavapai county records and get back. TTC

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the lost safe in walnut creek was from a flood that o cured back in the late 1880's.
seems the local store, the only store, was washed out, big safe went missing. no one has ever found it.

find the old town of walnut creek...southwest end of the bradshaws, above rich hill.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the lost safe in walnut creek was from a flood that o cured back in the late 1880's.
seems the local store, the only store, was washed out, big safe went missing. no one has ever found it.

find the old town of walnut creek...southwest end of the bradshaws, above rich hill.

Been there years ago Know the story but not enough info. How big was the safe how high was the water level Did a dam break or just a gusher. How far down the creek was wreckage found. I know this sounds goofy but math can give you a aprox location:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread