Save me from this new hobby! Or point me in the direction of more!

• Thread starter askmeabouttravel
  • Start date

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A

ArizonaWren

Kim,
Since your in Queen Creek, there is an interesting hike into the San Tans that will get you some practice looking for lost Gold mines. If you go south on Sossaman from the Hunt Hwy until it ends you will see you can cross into San Tan Mtn. Park a short walk up the valley you will start to see some old tailing piles on the sides of the hills. (tailing piles are the waste rock from digging tunnels or shafts into the mountain, you will know them when you see them) On your left side you will see a small fenced in area, this is a gravesite of to prospectors who spent a large portion of their lives searching for Gold in this area. There is a nice plaque telling a little about them there.
Good place to practice your Desert / Decomposed Granite walking before you head into the Superstitions. But when you do get to the Supers your going to love it they are an incredible place that will draw you back again and again. I've been enjoying them for 30 years and every trip is a new experience. I don't think you have to go armed although you can if you like. I do agree with the other posts, go with a Friend; take up some of the offers to have a guided day hike or two before you start going it on your own and make sure you tell somebody where your going exactly, when your coming home exactly and do not deviate from your plan. And of course this is the Desert, bring water, minimum 2 liters for a day hike more in the hotter times of the year until your acclimated.
Running shoes or Cross Training sneakers are just fine, lighter feet make for lighter walking and that makes a more enjoyable day.
In March start paying attention to the Snakes... or as soon as it regularly warms up into the 80's and stays there.
Have Super (pun intended) fun and be safe.
- Wren

OP
OP
A

askmeabouttravel

Thanks so much for the info! It seems the more interest I have in pursuing this hobby - the less time I have to do it!

But I do plan on making it out to the Superstitions to hike before it gets too hot...

Kim

ArizonaWren said:
Kim,
Since your in Queen Creek, there is an interesting hike into the San Tans that will get you some practice looking for lost Gold mines. If you go south on Sossaman from the Hunt Hwy until it ends you will see you can cross into San Tan Mtn. Park a short walk up the valley you will start to see some old tailing piles on the sides of the hills. (tailing piles are the waste rock from digging tunnels or shafts into the mountain, you will know them when you see them) On your left side you will see a small fenced in area, this is a gravesite of to prospectors who spent a large portion of their lives searching for Gold in this area. There is a nice plaque telling a little about them there.
Good place to practice your Desert / Decomposed Granite walking before you head into the Superstitions. But when you do get to the Supers your going to love it they are an incredible place that will draw you back again and again. I've been enjoying them for 30 years and every trip is a new experience. I don't think you have to go armed although you can if you like. I do agree with the other posts, go with a Friend; take up some of the offers to have a guided day hike or two before you start going it on your own and make sure you tell somebody where your going exactly, when your coming home exactly and do not deviate from your plan. And of course this is the Desert, bring water, minimum 2 liters for a day hike more in the hotter times of the year until your acclimated.
Running shoes or Cross Training sneakers are just fine, lighter feet make for lighter walking and that makes a more enjoyable day.
In March start paying attention to the Snakes... or as soon as it regularly warms up into the 80's and stays there.
Have Super (pun intended) fun and be safe.
- Wren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions