Newly moved AZ

newbee1234

Greenie
Jun 4, 2013
Hoping for some pointers... Haven't gone "hunting" for rocks & such, except my own back yard. Can't find anything on google that answers me simply. (plus I'm technologically impaired) Anyone have any suggestions on WHERE I should be looking? Or "NO-NO's" on what NOT to do/take when picking up rocks?
I'm a big newbie on any of this hunting for rocks/gems/minerals. But it's always fascinated me. I've been able to identify some mixed quarts & an amethyst. (I think) even found a magnetic stone. (earth stone, not meteorite...I think)
Miles & miles to go before I learn... Any suggestions welcome. :)

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
newbee1234

newbee1234

Greenie
Jun 4, 2013
Also, I'm on the west size of Phoenix. Not really currently able for very far drives. :(
But suggestions & details very WELCOME just the same. :)

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping for some pointers... Haven't gone "hunting" for rocks & such, except my own back yard. Can't find anything on google that answers me simply. (plus I'm technologically impaired) Anyone have any suggestions on WHERE I should be looking? Or "NO-NO's" on what NOT to do/take when picking up rocks?
I'm a big newbie on any of this hunting for rocks/gems/minerals. But it's always fascinated me. I've been able to identify some mixed quarts & an amethyst. (I think) even found a magnetic stone. (earth stone, not meteorite...I think)
Miles & miles to go before I learn... Any suggestions welcome. :)

Welcome newbi If I was you I'd join (For example) Roadrunners club out in Mesa area. Great bunch there. Little pricey compared to gp but have a lot of areas in your vicinity to prospect. Many helpful people in Arz.

OP
OP
newbee1234

newbee1234

Greenie
Jun 4, 2013
Thanks onfire. :) I don't see me joining any groups anytime soon. Right now I'm more research mode, for when I actually get to Doing some digging. Lol. But thanks a lot. I will definitely keep that in mind to check into! :) all info definitely welcome!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
#1 Rule: When your out digging make sure its not on someone's claim. Doesn't matter if your just looking for crystals or fossils or whatever. That's a big No No! If you know that the claim has what your looking for, ask the owner for permission. If he says Yes, then great! Don't abuse it. Find out long you can dig. How much you can take. If he says No then No means No so just move on.

#2 Rule: If you go on state or federal land make sure you find out the rules for what you want to do. You don't want a big fine for digging where you shouldn't.

There's my two cents or two rules. Everybody can add to that. There are a few books at the book stores that tell you where to go around the state for gems, minerals, fossils, geodes ect. It has maps, directions and pictures. They're good books. Good luck out there.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
regards rule one...a good rule, but...most areas in Arizona are claimed out...but...the people don't work the claims...or do assement work to keep the claim..so there is grey area to the law...

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Possible. He's just starting out and don't want him to wind up digging in the wrong place and wind up in trouble. I know what your saying. I use to go out to the same place every weekend. Claims everywhere and never a soul in sight. I always looked for signs of digging and found nothing. I'd always wonder why people would claim areas and not do anything. I just wonder how many of those claims are actually claimed and how many aren't and should have the claim markers taken down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread