Panning in Phoenix area

xstitchgal

Aug 20, 2007
We are planning a vacation to Phoenix. My son swears up and down he saw on some tv show that there was a privately owned place somewhere near there that you could go, pay a small fee, and they supply you with the tools you need (pan, etc...) and you can pan for gold all day. I have scoured the web and can find nothing. Is there such a place anywhere in AZ?

FredCobol

Apr 6, 2007
Chandler, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, White's MXT Pro, White's Coinmaster 2 TR Deluxe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of any privately owned panning places in AZ. I saw TV shows that talked about places in CA and GA.

There is a place called Lynx Creek near Precott (2 hours north of Phoenix) that has been set aside for public panning. I think there is a small entrance fee for the park, but you can buy your own gold pans and pan for free.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/recreation/propect.shtml

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only pay to pan place around here I can think of is at Goldfield. They salt a pan with pyrites and a few flakes for you to pan. Lynx Creek up by Prescott is open only to panning & handtools. Probably your best bet to get a little color! Not to mention the area is very nice. If you are a member of GPAA or Road Runners try some of the club claims out by San Domingo wash.

Grab a copy of Delos Toole's book Where to find Arizona's placer gold. A real good help book for Arizona. Hope that helps!!

rick.ther

Aug 7, 2005
no. cal
Detector(s) used
whites, fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in the Prescott area, try lynx creek, there is an easy acsess on banimine rd.
Lots of people go there and there is lots of color to be found.
There is no admission fee, remember though, only hand tools and panning. no motorized equipment allowed.
A few weeks ago some lucky person found a nuggett weighing 1 gram. :o

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
There used to be a place called the Hiking Shack....they set up groups to go out to a guys claim somewhere off of 89A...exact names fail me currently...but for the price he taught you to pan and even retort at the end of the class...somewhere around battle flats i think.

DW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread