Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a photo-copy of a book written by my great-great-great grandmother Mollie E. Williams. Its called "A Thrilling Romance of the Civil War--The history of Mrs. Mollie E. Williams--written by herself". In this book she describes her life from birth in 1847, in the state of Mississippi, Monroe County. She was born to Hiram & Lavicia Brumely. She lost her mother in 1857. In 1859 her father remarried and she was sent to visit relatives in Arkansas. Her father went to Texas and fell victim to yellow fever and died. She became an orphan and wondered from roof to roof of relatives. Finally she came to reside with her aunt and uncle near Boston Mountain(Arkansas). Her uncle was a farmer there. In 1861 she mentions a "change was at hand"---two great sections of the nation--the North and the South--had grown bitter in their hatred of each other over the question of slavery and were straining their energies and resources preparing to engage in a fratricidal war. Mollie mentions how she was caught up in the spirit of the hour and one day repaired to the muster place to do all she could to encourage the men folks to espouse the cause that seemed sacred to them. The young and middle aged men were encouraged to enlist under the "stars and bars" of the Confederate flag. She mentions hearing the "swelling, all conquering notes" of "Dixie" being played and as the last lingering note of the song faded away, the volunteers took their places in line. They seemed to be possessed of but one idea--"To live and die in Dixie".
Mollie tells also of hearing the boom of the cannon and rattle of musketry in the once peaceful valleys of her home.
She mentions battles in the neighboring valleys and the horrid tragedy of war was enacted so near her home that she could hear the din and confusion of contending squadrons. After this engagement the army(Confederate) moved eastward. She had a sweetheart that was inlisted in the Confederate army and in order for him to write her a letter he had to puncture a vein on the back of his hand and inscribed the letter in his own blood---she says this was a habit of many Confederate soldiers because they had no ink to write with(this sweetheart is her second husband).
Mollie then describes a "new feature" that developed during the early years of the Civil War---guerilla warfare. Since most of the providers and protectors of the families were in the ranks of the army, these guerillas made many raids--robbing and killing. The marauding bandits in her locality were led by two degenerates known by the names of "Dog-Eyed Bill" and "Batterhead Sam".
Mollie was 15 at this time and entered into a marriage that she says was a "necessity" under the circumstances. So, in 1863 she married Henry Cole. Henry was in the Confederate army. He was wounded about three weeks after their wedding. A soldier came galloping up the lane to her house and told her that her husband had been dangerously wounded in an engagement and requested to see her. She asked the messenger soldier if she could ride back with him to where her husband was as she had no means of conveyance and no money. When she made it to the house that Henry had been carried to, she found him "weltering in his own blood" but he asked her to check her grief and said he would live and yet serve his country. He had a bullet extracted from a gunshot wound to his chest by Dr. Cole. Mollie then had to care for Henry and hide him from the guerrilla ruffians that were scouring the country in search of booty and to gratify their fiendish revenge. Henry would be murdered if he fell into their hands, so they put Henry on his horse and set out for the house of a friend situated in an obscure and unfrequented cove in the mountains, here they rested until a warning reached them that the mountain brigands were in the neighboring locality pillaging the desolate homes. She then took Henry further into the mountains and they made camp under the "overhanging cliffs" of a mountain glen. After a few weeks of recovery, Henry reported back to his command for service.
After her husbands return, she mentions another skirmish. The Confederate forces were led by Colonel Jackman and he defeated the "Federals" with 39 of their number(Union) left for dead. These were her enemies she said, but she felt sympathy for these dead men and helped bury them. She says some of the Federal killed were near a Union man's house and were not buried, but were left to be devoured by birds and in some instances were eated by hogs. The Confederate forces were at this time camped at the mouth of Dry Creek, where it emptied into the Richland. She went to visit her husband four days after this engagement at the Condederate camp and was "enjoying his company" at a house when the Confederate pickets were surprised and driven in by the Federals. This was on the 4th day of May, 1863.
The Confederates were then compelled to flee the mountains for safety and the Federals set about caring for their wounded and burying their dead. Soon after this the armies moved to the East and all communication was cut off "between the soldier boys and their families".
It was Spring and Mollie was living with her mother-in-law. She tells of trying to plant corn to "guard against actual starvation" because of the guerrillas had stripped their homes of everything they could eat and carry away. After the corn crop was laid by her mother-in-law suggested Mollie go visit Henry, whose command was then encamped near Batesville. When she arrived at the camp, she found it partially deserted and her husband absent. She learned that the Confederate army had recently been engaged in a hotly contested battle. On the following morning the soldiers commenced arriving back to the camp and brought with them their wounded and among whom was the captain of her husbands company, John H. Love. Mollie stayed for a week at the camp and helped mend and clean the soldiers clothing.
She then took her leave and headed home. She was but one day out on her return trip home, when Henry had orders to join the main division of Price's army on its famous raid through Missouri. Henry "resolved to see her once more" as he seemed to have a strange presentiment that he would never return from the raid. He applied for a short furlough and started on a dead run to overtake her if possible before she reached home. Mollie had stopped at a friends home to rest and Henry reached home before she did. He went back in search of her, fearing some calamity, but found her and they arrived home.
I'm going to stop here because Mollie doesn't mention any more battles. She just tells of her husband and how he died--its a really sad ending for Henry!
She then remarried(to Valentine H. Williams and lived on the banks of the Buffalo River. Later in life they moved to Oklahoma where she and Val had many children and a prosperous life). Molly also mentions how she accompanied her husband, Val, to a Masonic reunion and festival held in Marshal, the county seat of Searcy County(this might be another good place to detect if you could find the exact spot where the reunion took place and get permission to detect there, of course!).I thought maybe some of the Civil War battle sites would be of interest to those of you who metal detect in Arkansas.

I posted this in the "Civil War" section of TNet, too. I am going to re-read the book and see if I can find anymore places of interest in Arkansas that Grandma Mollie mentions and will post them if you all are interested?
Thanks for looking and reading!
sandcreek

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like a very interesting read, and I'd love to read it. Any copies available that you know of?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
This looks like a very interesting read, and I'd love to read it. Any copies available that you know of?
No copies that I'm aware of. This photocopy belonged to my grandma(Mollie's great granddaughter). She gave it to me right before she passed away. It is a really interesting read and Mollie had many trials and tribulations. Her first husband(Henry) was killed right after the Civil War ended---he had gone to Darnelle, on the Arkansas River, to secure his parole. He went on the boat where the oath of allegiance was being administered, and was shot by one of the guerrillas who had plundered their homes. The guerrilla knew that Henry recognized him and shot Henry and threw him in the river. Mollie heard about his death and went to find him so she could bury him. She talks about traveling through the Boston Mountains and seeing all the desolation the war had left in the valleys. She looked for Henry's body and talked to some men who had seen a body lodged in the banks of a sandbar on the river. The men dug a hole and rolled the corpse into it. They took a silver ring off the mans hand which turned out to be Mollie's(it had her initials M.E.C engraved inside the band and this convinced her that it was Henry's body). His body was washed away before she could retrieve it(the river had flooded while she was back at home trying to salvage enough material to build a casket). Mollie made 5 trips over the Boston Mountains trying to find her husband, running into outlaws and fighting starvation.
Mollie's second husband, Valentine, had a prosperous home on the banks of the Buffalo River. He was a farmer with "cribs of corn, mows filled with hay and bins of golden grain, gentle cows and fat calves that insured plenty of butter, milk and cream; scores of hogs and a yard full of motherly hens". She says in the book she went from "poverty to the lap of prosperity and plenty". In the 1870's Valentine decided to engage in the "mercantile business", in addition to running his farm and cotton gin, which was the first gin erected in Searcy County. Valentine also became interested in the zinc mines that it was believed to abound in the neighboring mountains--the mine he owned was called the "Big Hurricane" which he later sold for $25,000!
In the 1890's Valentine and their oldest son "caught the immigration fever" to go west into the Cherokee Strip and decided to make a run(land run) for a claim. Mollie said they loaded the wagons and moved Westward. She said it was such a "change from the forest covered mountains and pleasant valleys of Arkansas, as it was mostly prairie with scrawny, fire stunted oak". They bought a lot in Cleveland, Oklahoma situated on the bend of the Arkansas River and built a house there. She said the Indians were roaming over the country at large, and not being able to understand their language, never knew whether they were at war or peace. Also she mentions how the Doolin, Dalton Brothers, and Cherokee Bill were riding all over the country robbing people.
She closes the book by telling of her beautiful home at Cleveland and looking forward to a peaceful old age.
I think it would be great if some of you detectorists from Arkansas could use this info from Mollie's book! Are the battle sites she mentions (and that I posted), known battle sites? I also wonder if anyone knows where Valentines cotton gin was in Searcy County?
Hope you all have enjoyed reading about Mollie Williams life!! :hello:
sandcreek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions