Twenty years of research, maps, legends, places, trips and photos gone
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil deteknixXpointer Probe Minelab Ex-Terra 70 White's Classic II 2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
    250 times
    Metal Detecting

Twenty years of research, maps, legends, places, trips and photos gone

Every new computer I had included research and trips I've taken. Twenty years or so. Now possibly gone forever. Computer problems. I'll save the hard drive but I have a feeling it is not worthe the cost to recover. Recently moved to another town. Bought some thumbdrives to backup data but in the move can't find them. So no backups. Maybe it's just as well. I remember the important stuff but had lots of Colorado history I scanned or copied or wrote about. On the other hand only a few friends are interested and I just can't get to the places I'd like. We are newbies at this older age stuff and life style changes are inevitable.

My New MInelab X-Terra 705 Gold setup is great. Tuned it for jewelry and wouldn't you know it first day out found a R/R spike! And a old cap gun. Shoulda seen my blood pressure jump when I incovered the barrel.
    BB

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6956 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hey BB, I was wondering where you was at the other day.
    Sorry to hear about the computer and pics etc..... Maybe them backups will show up. I got an old computer I won't throw away, it will still boot, but it will overheat and go down. Maybe one day I'll get around to wiring and firing her up, just to snatch some info of it. Good luck with yours.
    Hope you'll be posting now that you kinda settled.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    6663 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Sure sucks to loose your pics. Thumb drives are small so I bet there just misplaced and will show up.

sent from a potato with gravy!!...
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...
    plp1.org

us
    El Presidente

Jul 2014
    Vermont
    Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
    505 times
    OK if you have the physical hard drive removed from the old computer.

Or if you have the cpu still, and nothing happened to the drive itself from damage or heat, you can save most of it all, especially photos and text documents

Here's the DIY guide and it cost something like 40 bucks for the Enclosure for a USB External HardDrive

3 Ways to Recover Data from the Hard Drive of a Dead Laptop

Install a Hard Drive in an External Enclosure

Just ask us nerds anytime.....LOOL !
    But he who knows forms, is able to grasp the unity of nature beneath the surface of materials which are very unlike. Thus is he able to identify and bring about things that have never been done before, things of the kind which neither the vicissitudes of nature, nor hard experimenting, nor pure accident could ever have actualized, nor even human thought dreamed of. And thus from the discovery of the forms flows true speculation and unrestricted operation.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17073 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    One of the tricks I heard to get data off a dying hard drive is to remove it, put it in the freezer for a day. Pull it from the freezer and install and try to start the computer. You may have a chance to save some of the data you deem important to a CD or DVD

Jun 2004
    593 times
    External drives, big ones (not thumb drives) are relatively cheap and extremely powerful. You can store a terabite of data on a drive no bogger than your hand for a hundred bucks or so.
    Presenting: Selections From the National Prospector's Gazette Volume 2: Ask Exanimo!

Presenting: Selections From the National Prospector's Gazette Volume 1: Exanimo Looks at Books

----------
    Randy Bradford's Buy, Sell and Trade List

National Prospector's Gazette, Exanimo Express, Gene Ballinger Publications, 8 States Association, National Treasure Hunter's League, Gold Bug, Johnny Pounds "The Treasure Hunter," and so many more...

Understanding our hobby, by embracing its history...

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2005
    south charleston, wv
    White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker ADS
    133 times
    The alchemists in their search for gold discovered many other things of greater value.
    Ex animo

us
    Apr 2015
    Skykomish Valley, WA
    Fisher Gold Bug SE w/two coils Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 w/two coils Digital Control F5 (locating device for directional drilling) Drillguide Gyroscopic Steering Tool (inertial guidance for directiona
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Eldo has the right idea. I've salvaged almost all the data from laptop drives that were trashed enough to not start the computer, but still had my personal data on them. Rip it out of the computer, put it in an enclosure, and access it as an external driver. I've even salvaged some of those drives by saving the data to another drive, reformat the trashed drive, and then organize the saved data and write it back to the drive. Reformatting usually maps out any bad sectors and you can continue to use the good parts of the drive (although I wouldn't trust it with my only copy of critical data!!)

us
    Executive Director of Nothing

May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    750 times
    I have three Seagate drives. One with massive storage and two smaller. I've been Treasure Hunting for over thirty years, and have lost a lot of hard copy pictures from the early days, in moves and what have ya, but the bulk of my pictures, I think, are safe with the extra storage. I have some amazing photos of things that almost killed me to get to. I can't lose them. My partner and I started when we were in our 20's. It's funny to see us as skinny kids with Weavers Needle in the background. Pictures are valuable.

us
    Danged if I can think of one

Feb 2013
    Hills of WV
    Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
    100 times
    Buffalo Bob, I had a similar experience once and took the hard drive out of the computer and installed it in an external drive case. I plugged it into another computer to find the data was alive and well. Small investment for valuable info if it works.

Oct 2016
    1162 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    We had a storage device that nothing would open. Found a throw out cheap laptop, no battery or power cord bought the cord and of all things it opened the storage device.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links