Samuel Margolies Etching with drypoint NEED HELP

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Hey all
I bought a Samuel Margolies Etching today and the title of the etch is "After The Catch" but my same etching has "Blueprints" instead of After the catch. So what does Blueprints mean?

Below is a normal etching not mine

0244_5_lg.jpg

Here is the Etching I have.

100_2205.jpg

100_2194.jpg

100_2214.jpg

Would this add more value????

Thanks...

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found the Whistler print, I learned that several artists did scenes like the ones in his 16 point etching series. This looks to be like that of Whistler's works. He did alot of dock scenes. It was the detail and everyday life on those wharfs he was looking for. Your etching could be a artist who studied Whistler's techniques. After doing some research I found that he is a very well know printmaker. His auction records have topped at 9k so far. I also know that sometimes they used etchings in books and this could possibly be one of them. I'm not sure but the Whistler Engravings have been reproduced in books for study purposes. These are some of the things I have learned when i found that piece. It looks real with the impression around the edge so I don't know. Maybe a more modern etching like a second edition............................GTP

OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Get-the-point said:
When I found the Whistler print, I learned that several artists did scenes like the ones in his 16 point etching series. This looks to be like that of Whistler's works. He did alot of dock scenes. It was the detail and everyday life on those wharfs he was looking for. Your etching could be a artist who studied Whistler's techniques. I will try and find information about your artist................GTP

GTP
Thanks a ton ;D I just don't get why he would penciled "Blueprint" and not "After The Catch" any clue to that? I will also look into Whistler.....

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point said:
When I found the Whistler print, I learned that several artists did scenes like the ones in his 16 point etching series. This looks to be like that of Whistler's works. He did alot of dock scenes. It was the detail and everyday life on those wharfs he was looking for. Your etching could be a artist who studied Whistler's techniques. After doing some research I found that he is a very well know printmaker. His auction records have topped at 9k so far. I also know that sometimes they used etchings in books and this could possibly be one of them. I'm not sure but the Whistler Engravings have been reproduced in books for study purposes. These are some of the things I have learned when i found that piece. It looks real with the impression around the edge so I don't know. Maybe a more modern etching like a second edition............................GTP

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
I did find out another thing about this print ;D
1 The Margolies estate was not far from my house.
2 I don't think he was going to sell this etching due to the change of the title.
3 it may say "Blue Points" instead of "Blueprints" http://www.jpshellfish.com/blue_point_oysters.php

Does anybody think it will fetch more cash if the name was changed of the etching and I have the only one that has Blue Points?
If not I will just toss it up on the wall :headbang:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redfish76 said:
I did find out another thing about this print ;D
1 The Margolies estate was not far from my house.
2 I don't think he was going to sell this etching due to the change of the title.
3 it may say "Blue Points" instead of "Blueprints" http://www.jpshellfish.com/blue_point_oysters.php

Does anybody think it will fetch more cash if the name was changed of the etching and I have the only one that has Blue Points?
If not I will just toss it up on the wall :headbang:

A couple of things will ascertain the value of it. The first thing you want to look for is the plate impression left when this was done. Second you need to look at this through a loop and see if there are any breaks in the lines to indicate a printer. Third if you have the plate impression on the surrounding edge and true ink(the only way to tell this is by taking out of the frame) built up on the image, then look at the signature verse other known examples of his signature, and make sure it is real ink as well, then I would say you have a authentic piece. If it has all of those traits I have told you about in the third example then it is not entirely impossible for him to change the name of it. I see Bluepoints in the Title..................if this is the case and everything I said in the third example you have yourself an original piece. Clearly not noted either or it would have come up. This will bring up the value alot!!!............Get back to me on what you see and if you can take a closer picture of the Title, his name, and the impression margins, I would love to see it!!!

OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Thanks again GTP..
I'm a tad spooked taking it out of the frame because it has small nails on a angle in the backing and the frame and I have really never taken a pic/print out of a frame before... ???
100_2228.jpg

100_2231.jpg

Maybe I will get some guts tonight and try it...

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
There was also a Bluepoints Co. operating back then, maybe his inspiration for the drawing...? The scene looks similar.

Attachments

• BluePoint-Co.jpg
    BluePoint-Co.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 360
OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the pic daroofa
where is that located? I think he did all of his work in the northeast...
Thanks again

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
redfish76 said:
Thanks for the pic daroofa
where is that located? I think he did all of his work in the northeast...
Thanks again

West Sayville, New York. This is the description that was with the pic...

"The Bluepoints Company, located on the bay front at the end of Atlantic Avenue, West Sayville, was the largest on Great South Bay. It had its own oyster fleet to harvest the shellfish and it also bought from independent oystermen. Their oysters were shipped all over the world."

OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
I took it out of the frame and this is what I found.
100_2244.jpg

100_2249.jpg

100_2250.jpg

100_2254.jpg

100_2255.jpg

100_2256.jpg

100_2260.jpg

100_2262.jpg

100_2263.jpg

100_2263.jpg

100_2266.jpg

100_2282.jpg

100_2285.jpg

100_2267.jpg

100_2268.jpg

100_2269.jpg

100_2270.jpg

100_2274.jpg

I thought some of the old adds were kind of cool :icon_pirat:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing Redfish, take a close up picture of the surrounding border of the image basically the areas at the corner of the image itself and all the way around. Can you see if there is a plate impression on the piece?? I think i see it at the far upper right of the image itself. The ink would stop right before that impression leaving the impression next to the image and going all the way around the image. So a better close up picture of that would settle this. I mean it really is starting to look like you have yourself a original. If that plate impression is there it is a definite!!!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it Redfish. I have seen everything i need to convince me your sitting on a original piece by him. Now you need to find the organization that is documenting his stuff and then have this piece documented. It will fetch alot more than the original etching of this, the name change will guarantee that. Congrats on a awesome score!!!...........GTP

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got the real deal there! I can tell just from the little bit I've seen.! It is a drypoint etching, which means: all those lines were gouged in by hand with a sharp needle. Drypoints are only good for maybe, 25 copies, and the burrs on the dry point lines start to flatten. Would love to know what you finally got for it.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing to check, as this was a noted artist, you should do what I call the "finger" test. This is necessary as many etchings were duplicated using photogravure processes. If you clean your hands VERY clean and air dry them completely, run your finger over a place on the print that has distinct lines, I would suggest over that part of the sailboat at the top of the mast. If this is an etching, you can feel the ink lines. With a heliogravure you cannot. The ridges of the ink will be very faint, but should be detectable. This is the only way I know to detect the difference between a heliogravure and a genuine etching. I know purists will cringe at this, but if done correctly will not damage the print. A local Rembrandt expert taught me this trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions