Old Oil Painting Renoir

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Hi Gypsy, but if it is a painting and not a print or Giclee' whicj is a print on canvas. I'd have it checked out before dismissing it. But alot of very good copies come out of China even today. If you have a local Sotheby's, they will examine it for free. Good luck.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
finderzzs said:
Hi Gypsy, but if it is a painting and not a print or Giclee' whicj is a print on canvas. I'd have it checked out before dismissing it. But alot of very good copies come out of China even today. If you have a local Sotheby's, they will examine it for free. Good luck.
I am still working on this...its an oil painting...not a print....its been in my family for over 40 years....so its not just something new from China......I am sending the info I have with pics to the address that danglangley provided....we will see..... :icon_queen:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Just wanted to bump this, but also to say that if it were an eccentric old world traveling lady, there's a 50/50 chance it could actually be the real deal. Don't forget that when these guys painted their stuff, they weren't commanding the prices good painters get now, they were getting by on it. Also, the only Renoir I've seen in person is here in the Chrysler Museum of Fine Art in Norfolk, VA, and it's so tiny that I immediately thought, "Good God, Why in the world is that worth millions?" while at the same time thinking what a beautiful, wonderful piece of artthat is!! Those men had some talent, and what they get now, is what they should have got then!

Good luck Gypsy!

traderdan

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
I think this was hanging in the louve' in paris i was there in 1978, I'll try to find pic's of that trip...td

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
finderzzs said:
I am still working on this...its an oil painting...not a print....its been in my family for over 40 years....so its not just something new from China......I am sending the info I have with pics to the address that danglangley provided....we will see..... :icon_queen:
Can ya get a clear pic.of signature? or is it still wrapped up?? Renoir can be search very easily via internet,artprice indicator(ADEC),auction results(most artist did only one painting so auction results may only show prints,copy's,etc.I beleive a "Giclee'" is a paper type of medium,a unique copy(on canvas&other material)of original is called a "monotype",your painting can be confirmed by ANY knowledgible artist,gallery,etc.is there a"TITLE" to this painting? and Renoir sells in the Thousands rarely does his work hit millions(one of a kind do! you may have a"one of a kind" but as prolific as he was i'm sure there is prints(AS Shown by you in ebay pic)/copies,etc.of your painting ,if done by Renoir,Keep me(us at TN!!!)Posted on your painting!!!,HH ALL!!!&Nice painting GypsyRICH :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Picture 1202.jpg
    Picture 1202.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 748
  • Picture 1203.jpg
    Picture 1203.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 768

renaroque

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found a couple of other paintings by Renoir from 1885 and 1888 respectively, which feature the same setting(and woman?):
Seated Nude (also known as At East) - 1885. Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841-1919) ? download painting ? Gallerix.ru
The Coiffure - 1888. Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841-1919) ? download painting ? Gallerix.ru

At the bottom of the following Renoir Authentication Website's page there is a painting identical to yours which was attempted to be sold on ebay and classified as a fake.
Taken from this page:
"
Many of the Renoir impressionist fakes we see at Freemanart (and we see a lot) are actually mistaken as copies of original Renoir paintings and drawings or in some cases, proportionate parts of them.

However, deliberate forgeries, in the guise of Pierre Renoir painting and drawing fakes are oftentimes compilations of other known Renoir works, a favourite ploy of both the modern day forger and historical faker of art work .
This newly created Renoir fake work of art then magically becomes an 'unknown' or 'forgotten' lost Renoir painting, whereby the faker has taken images or elements from within other works of art known to be by Renoir or any other artist they intend to counterfeit and cleverly introduces and manipulates those elements into a brand new composition or work of art purportedly by that artist.
This process is always designed to deceive and defraud the individual and it's money and money alone which is the catalyst in the crime.

Another favourite scam with Renoir fakes and forgeries is to use an image taken from within one of Renoir's known legitimate works of art and invent new studies in paint or crayon or sometimes pastel to make us believe that this is a previously undiscovered Renoir study which has recently come to light. This is much more believable than a fully fledged masterpiece suddenly turning up and my word, there's a lot of them around!"

Also, Christie's offer a free appraisal service, so perhaps they would consider authentications as well?

Best of luck!

renaroque

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the welcome and no problem, I'm hoping to do an Art History degree so any opportunity to research artists is a pleasure!

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
I had a high school buddy whose grandfather worked for the Louvre as a copyist. The fact that he worked for the Louvre is the only thing that prevented him from being a forger. Museums frequently hang exact copies when the original is out on loan, or if it's considered too valuable or too fragile to be on display. My friend had two Mona Lisas, assorted Renoirs, Corot, Cezannes etc. hung throughout the house. Even if it is a copy, it could be legit and highly valuable.

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this was interesting, though the OP never replied. :( Closest I ever got to owning a Renoir is a Cordey painting LOL. Since they were friends...and least there is some connection. Hangs beside my bed.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why someone would start a thread in 2006, asking if something is real, and not follow through and give us some info on the latest developments? Strange

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread