Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old Oil Painting Renoir

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

Old Oil Painting Renoir

In the early 60's my grandpa worked for an eccentric elderly lady . She had traveled the world and had a mansion full of antiques etc. She constantly gave him different crazy items that she and her late husband had collected. When my grandpa died in the 80's ,I recieved this painting (which had been one of her gifts to him) ....(this is a copy I found on ebay)....The oil painting is about 2 x 3 ft. and is in a four inch gilted ornate frame.The painting has hung in my bedroom for years and I never gave it much thought,other than I like it. I guess I never noticed that it was signed Renoir or cared. I know that many art students copied great artists paintings and my question is, would it be worth anything? I know nothing about old paintings and would like a direction to turn. There isnt any student name on the back and its a stretched canvas,kind of crude,like someone made it themselves. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nude in arm chair.jpg 
Views:	4040 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	87362  
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

Re: Old Oil Painting Renoir

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZossima

You are soooooooooooooo silly.

Cappy Z.
    tell me why ? So I can laugh also !If its a art student copy , are they worth anything?
    You are the art find expert here....help me out?
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

Well...I am pretty sure it wont be an original.....LOL....just wondering if student copies were worth anything....It can just stay where it is as far as I am concerned...unless of course someone wants to pay big moola for a great fake......

us
    Diggincoinz

Dec 2004
    Wayne County, NY
    Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
    174 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Come on now, tell us the truth. It's a portrait of you as a teenager painted by a local artist isn't it.

Uh, looks like you got the "booty" too!

Sorry, got off track here...... I really don't know anything, but I'd bet it would go well in an auction although I'd never sell it. An appraisel might be in order though.

Chris
    .~.~.~.~. Dig it up .~.~.~.~.

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

Quote Originally Posted by DigginItUp
    Come on now, tell us the truth. It's a portrait of you as a teenager painted by a local artist isn't it.

Uh, looks like you got the "booty" too!

Sorry, got off track here...... I really don't know anything, but I'd bet it would go well in an auction although I'd never sell it. An appraisel might be in order though.

Chris
    Hahahahaha.....Now I am crying! ....The frame is probally worth more....I am trying to upload the original from my stupid camera...but somethings just not right...The original (well my original) just has much more richer colors.....

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

ahhhhh...but that is without the frame......

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

Yep...I am pretty convinced that I own the original Renoir and that who ever paid hundreds of thousands for their fakes got gypped...evidently my humble grandfather was actually a famous art smuggler posing as a caretaker and was able to filter millions of dollars of Renoir's,Van Gogh's and Picasso's to his grandchildren...replacing them with fakes...I am sure all the famous art galleries and museums will be sending their people to my door any second...better get home and bake some cookies and open the vaults.....for my pending visitors.....

May 2005
    Northern Illinois

Ah, Gypsy . . . . a million here, a million there . . . pretty soon we're talking real money. Will you still remember us here at TN after you sell it and are rich and famous?

Hobo
    Yep, ya find a lot of bones while diggin for treasure.  Works for me!
    Ace 250

Smoothy

Aug 2006
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Discovery200
    1 times

For a very brief moment in my life, I was an art history major. That, and having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express should back up my fine knowldege of such things . I realize you're just trying to find out what the hecky-darn you have there. Not an "I'm going to sell it straight away' attitude. I understand. One thing to consider is insurance for such a thing- whether it's an origional or a fine reproduction. So the 'value' of such a thing IS important to know, regardless of your intentions (or what might be thought to be your intentions )
    As with all things of possible value- VALUE-, it's best-- always best-- to take it to a pro. They can analyze the paint (very important, as paints are made with different bases and substances-- it's nearly alchemy when you come right down to it...different 'special' oils, spit, plant goo-- each 'mix' is unique in the true 'oldies', while the newer stuff is created, for the most part by mass-production- and easily id'ed as such, by an expert). Next, most artists stretched (mounted) their own canvases, so that's not unusual. The edges would be messy because often, they would paint the canvas on a temporary frame. Canvases would be removed, restretched- or rolled up for transport. Signiture is important- and again, can only be discerned by a real pro. Like analyzing handwriting, they can tell, usually, whether a signiture is forged or not- by the brush strokes, the shape and direction of a letter, etc.
    Bottom line? If you want to spend some bucks, you can know the truth about your beautiful painting. BUCKS. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
    darthoblio likes this.
    Thank you, God, for this good day.  Wonder what the sea spits out today!

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    24 times
    Banner Finds (1)

You ever find out about this?

au
    Mar 2007
    Queensland, Australia
    Jackeroo, BH Landstar
    1 times

Bump.....
    Yes any info ?

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    57 times

No....Its still hanging in my bedroom and I still like it....I guess I will just pass it on to my children.....and when they find out that its a original ...they will say "Why the heck were we living on Weiner Water Soup all those years?......."

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    E-TRAC
    398 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Go to the antique road show web site.I think you could send them a picture and they might tell you if it is real.Or take to an art dealer.Big bucks

us
    Jul 2005
    N Louisiana
    Ace 250
    3 times

It's pretty, whatever its worth. Enjoy it. But ... stranger things have happened. -Noodle
    Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

us
    Oct 2006
    Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
    Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
    63 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I'm gonna give you one more poke with that stick they have been urging you on with. I know it's a pretty big step because I have been trying to get someone local to check a painting out for me. You have to pay a pretty good sum just to get a pro to look at it. I am going to see if I can find that link I had where they would give a free appraisal. You would have to take close-ups of the signature and so on...I'll get back to you if I can find it.

I found it.....Good luck to you

http://americanartappraisals.com/

DANGLANGLEY
    Disclaimer: The views or opinions of this patient are not necessarily the same as those held by the owners or staff of this facility.
    He sometimes escapes his padded cell. If this patient is contacting you against your wishes please tell him to discontinue immediately.
    Signed, Dr. Ima Quack

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors