Los Angeles Examiner Art 1945

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does any on know who this artist CQT or COT or CAT on this original art of Maurice Costello is?

Maurice Costello was an actor in the late 1890’s and early 1900’s. He is credited with being a matinee idol and one of the great lovers of silent films. His film star on Hollywood Boulevard is located on the south side of the 6500 block.

Both of his daughters Dolores and Helen Costello were actresses, his grandson John Drew Barrymore and great granddaughter Drew Barrymore also are actors.

The Los Angeles Examiner paper was from 1903 to 1962 when it then became the Los Angeles Herald Examiner. In the 1940s city editor James H. Richardson encouraged and promoted his reporters to bring to light the scandels and crime in Hollywood. While researching I have found other pictures with the same “Received Examiner Reference Library” stamped on verso but with different dates.

On the front under the picture is: “ Maurice Costello . 1 col E. WED, CROCKER”.
I am assuming that this would reference where the picture may have been postioned in the paper and on what day. The only reference I have found so far on Crocker is Harry Crocker who was a American actor of the 1920’s and also a newsman for the Los Angeles Examiner…(Could there be a connection?)

Any and all help and information is appreciated……Thanks in advance to all…

Costello 1size.JPG Costello 2size.JPG

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked up copies of the Examiner for dates close to, but after Sept. 19, 1945. Contacting the paper's morgue might be of some assistance also. Column E would be second or third page. Did Sept. 19 fall on a Wednesday that year?
Just some ideas you may already have explored.

capt-zero

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to add, Sept. 19 1945 did fall on a wednesday.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried the papers morgue yet but will give it a shot... Thanks for your input capt-zero...

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks surf...you nailed it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread