Beautiful Portrait from mid to late 19th Century--need help identifying

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping someone here can shed some light on possible artists. There's no signature that I can find, though the painting was restored at some point and the canvas was relined so signature could be on the back but I'd only know if I had it X-rayed. There is an early signature on the back of the frame (Curtis). The frame does not appear original to the piece since, as you can tell by looking at the corners, the frame was larger and cut down to fit this piece. It does fit the style and period of the work collected by Frank Edward Curtis and now part of the Ferris State University's Curtis Collection but also has some similarity to the few paintings I've found online by Ralph Wormeley Curtis. I'm more apt to think that the signature is meant to identify the owner of the painting since it's on the frame. I should note, I used a flash to take these pictures since without it the details of the background are invisible...the background just seems very dark. I believe it would benefit from a good cleaning. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Attachments

• CurtisGypsyPaintingFullwolight.png
    CurtisGypsyPaintingFullwolight.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 127
  • CurtisGypsyPaintingMontage.jpg
    CurtisGypsyPaintingMontage.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 146
  • CurtisGypsyPaintingSignature.jpg
    CurtisGypsyPaintingSignature.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • CurtisGypsyPaintingwFrame.jpg
    CurtisGypsyPaintingwFrame.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • CurtisPaintingSignatureCloseupwFlash.jpg
    CurtisPaintingSignatureCloseupwFlash.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing some tidying up of old unidentified works.
That’s a print (or a copy) from an oil on canvas original by the Czech artist Anton Ebert (1845-1896). He worked mainly in Germany and Austria and that work was titled “An Austrian Beauty”.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread