Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still experimenting but was pleased with the results considering it took less than 10 minutes and less than 10 cents in materials ...

Had a New Egg 9" X 12" shipping box, 6" tall. The top was open, so I taped the flaps so that the box was 9" X 12" by 10 1/2" tall.

On the long sides, I took a box cutter and made an opening on both sides about 7" wide by 9" tall. Then I taped copy paper over the openings on the side of the box.

I already had two LED flood lights, and set one on either side (I love how they stay cool to the touch!) so that the light hit the paper. It likely would have worked better with some cheesecloth or maybe even a paper towel (would have created more diffusion). I put a piece of card stock for the white bottom (fits nicely in the 9 X 12 box).

I've used it with the box standing on end and with it lying down. Will continue experimenting until I get a good solution for what I'm working on.
I did basically the same thing with the Priority C box. Left a 2 inch lip around the 4 sides, white poster board, it still seems to be hit and miss sometimes. I may try the cheesecloth, I have mucho pckg's of new white cotton kitchen towels. Or even the paper towel method.

A friend that used to do t-shirts, said with a large piece of white poster board make a cone. You can lay item in bottom of cone, light bounces, he said it worked real good for them(me, not so much). I'm still working with the Kodak Easy Share program, :laughing7:
Tells ya what a dinosaur I am! :laughing7:

Tell the Mrs if she need critter inspiration, there's always "icanhazcheezeburgerz". :tongue3:
I love LOLCats! Paint on, Mrs Chad, paint on. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Pat for your kind words. What kind of lights are you using, and how many?

I use two and even though the paper scatters the light, you do need to move the light until you get the effect you want. Also, you may need to raise or lower your subject sometimes.

Here's a drawing of what I constructed.

lightbox.jpg

For image editing, Serif's PhotoPlus comes in a free version which is pretty neat.

Free Photo Editing Software - PhotoPlus Starter Edition from Serif

You might want to look into that one. I've used various versions of it for over 10 years now. Works well, and quick to learn.

Oh, btw, I lay it on its back for some shots.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pat for your kind words. What kind of lights are you using, and how many?

I use two and even though the paper scatters the light, you do need to move the light until you get the effect you want. Also, you may need to raise or lower your subject sometimes.

Here's a drawing of what I constructed.

View attachment 1263984

For image editing, Serif's PhotoPlus comes in a free version which is pretty neat.

Free Photo Editing Software - PhotoPlus Starter Edition from Serif

You might want to look into that one. I've used various versions of it for over 10 years now. Works well, and quick to learn.

Oh, btw, I lay it on its back for some shots.
Do you have any art supply stores nearby? They have sheets of acetate that come clear or frosted (from light frosting to heavy)& even tinted. Saved me a bunch of head banging trying to make diffusers for flood lights in the days before LED bulbs. Just bought a roll to make map covers and it was like $9 for a 50' x 3' roll.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all different Watt bulbs, this is usually where the yellow tint came in.
On the Etsy forum, one fella explained pretty good, in regards to color spectrums, on cloudy and/or sunny days you can get the blue-ish background, or yellowish tint, bulbs matter, etc.....

Everyone touts the Ott lights and natural spectrum bulbs, that neither home depot, walmart, or anyone carries, just certain arts/crafts stores. maybe some camera stores (online, too). I got a few bright spotlights I can try as well (I just haven't wanted to hafta go digging in the shed, to find them).

What camera you using for them above shots? If you don't mind me asking.....

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have all different Watt bulbs, this is usually where the yellow tint came in.
On the Etsy forum, one fella explained pretty good, in regards to color spectrums, on cloudy and/or sunny days you can get the blue-ish background, or yellowish tint, bulbs matter, etc.....

Everyone touts the Ott lights and natural spectrum bulbs, that neither home depot, walmart, or anyone carries, just certain arts/crafts stores. maybe some camera stores (online, too). I got a few bright spotlights I can try as well (I just haven't wanted to hafta go digging in the shed, to find them).

What camera you using for them above shots? If you don't mind me asking.....

Using a 5 year old el cheapo Fuji S1800.

Get rid of the yellowish or bluish tint by enabling the white balance in your camera (if it has it) or using a photo program that allows you to to white balancing.

How does that work?

You will tell the camera one spot where it should be nearly white, and it will adjust the colors automatically.

A good program will also allow you to pull out unwanted items or even people. I do web design and that is an important ability when creating graphics.

It also allows you to use layers and even do masking which enables things like this ...

different_zpsgpp18mdy.jpg

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
She's been at it again ... finished this huge rock yesterday! Painting on each of 4 sides (rock shaped much like a slice of pie), 7" tall, and 4" wide at the base.

Still trying to figure our why Tnet keeps altering the pictures. Tiger, Bear and Horse are all shrunk on the y axis (height) so that the proportions are really off bad (at least when I load the page here).

BTW, tiger looks much better than my camera could capture.

Tiger_zps2vwdysjh.jpg

bear_zpsktutmphj.jpg

horse_big_zpssin8iyn5.jpg

cac_zpsjohlkdr4.jpg

Last edited:
S

stefen

My wife makes and sells jewelry thru her Itsy Store, and like you, had issues photographing small items.

She then made a foot box using white cardboard and sat the box on a corral post using natural light...only works if it's not raining or there is ample light.

Eventually it evolved into a fold-up unit composed of white foam core fixed with white tape.

We made a light rail out of PVC pipe that also breaks down.

Clamping flood lights are placed and aimed in various directions so there are no shadows...now used indoors without a flash.Your wife should be commended, she has a gift and an eye for composition.We would proudly display her compositions...that's how much we like what she does.Pat her on the back and tell her to keep up the work...there's a lot if rocks with animals waiting to be brought forth into the light.

Ps...wonder if I gave her a handful of small pebbles if she'd be able to discover newborn kittens and puppies for her parent rocks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread