The World’s Oldest Stash

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
This story is amazing on many levels, not the least of which is, who knew there were light-haired, blue-eyed Chinese.
:P
Researchers say they have located the world’s oldest stash of marijuana, in a tomb in a remote part of China.

The cache of cannabis is about 2,700 years old and was clearly “cultivated for psychoactive purposes,” rather than as fibre for clothing or as food, says a research paper in the Journal of Experimental Botany.

The 789 grams of dried cannabis was buried alongside a light-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian man, likely a shaman of the Gushi culture, near Turpan in northwestern China.

The extremely dry conditions and alkaline soil acted as preservatives, allowing a team of scientists to carefully analyze the stash, which still looked green though it had lost its distinctive odour.

“To our knowledge, these investigations provide the oldest documentation of cannabis as a pharmacologically active agent,” says the newly published paper, whose lead author was American neurologist Dr. Ethan B. Russo.

Remnants of cannabis have been found in ancient Egypt and other sites, and the substance has been referred to by authors such as the Greek historian Herodotus. But the tomb stash is the oldest so far that could be thoroughly tested for its properties.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
and who's doing the "testing" of its properties -- the gang at cal berkley ? :tard: :icon_study: ::)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean people back in that time had as much problem with reality as they have now? ::)
Doesn't matter the age.....culture.....a dope will find a way to make/use dope. :icon_scratch:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
ok guys. I get the fact that you are anti drugs as am I, but step out of judging for a moment & look at the story. In archeological terms, this is an amazing find! & perhaps will give us an even greater insight in to the life & religion of these ancient people. we don't always need to give voice to our beliefs. there are other places for that

Gypsy thanx for the post! Have been waiting for you to post one of your always informative, always fascinating stories.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, have to apologize for my "rant" I must be a little grumpy this morn. think I'll go get another cuppa coffee

S

stefen

Not suprised...I would suspect that all ancient cultures used various native plants, especially the Shaman (or Priests or Healers)...

Hell, even in the United States, during the late 1800's to early 1900's, hemp plants were used as a natural insecticide around crop fields...which the remnants are still found today...

Man, in all societies, has always found that certain plants have healing capabilities...animal and insect parts and bi-products are useful...for instance; spider webs were used for blood clotting...

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for that Ms. Gypsy!
I'm always in awe, you are awesome. Thank you.
Saw your profile page. Looks great. Your two little ones are dolls aren't they.
I have a 7 year old boy and a 3 year old girl and I don't know how in the world you find the time to do all the research that you obviously do. Again and again I am always amazed at your posts. But I did say you were awesome, didn't I?

alexnz

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
New Zealand
Gypsy Heart said:
This story is amazing on many levels, not the least of which is, who knew there were light-haired, blue-eyed Chinese.
:P
Researchers say they have located the world’s oldest stash of marijuana, in a tomb in a remote part of China.

The cache of cannabis is about 2,700 years old and was clearly “cultivated for psychoactive purposes,” rather than as fibre for clothing or as food, says a research paper in the Journal of Experimental Botany.

The 789 grams of dried cannabis was buried alongside a light-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian man, likely a shaman of the Gushi culture, near Turpan in northwestern China.

The extremely dry conditions and alkaline soil acted as preservatives, allowing a team of scientists to carefully analyze the stash, which still looked green though it had lost its distinctive odour.

“To our knowledge, these investigations provide the oldest documentation of cannabis as a pharmacologically active agent,” says the newly published paper, whose lead author was American neurologist Dr. Ethan B. Russo.

Remnants of cannabis have been found in ancient Egypt and other sites, and the substance has been referred to by authors such as the Greek historian Herodotus. But the tomb stash is the oldest so far that could be thoroughly tested for its properties.
Hi folks, here is something i found that might relate to the above story: 'The Altaic Scythians'.... where a predominantly Caucasian tribe, a horse-workshipping nomadic people that ranged from the Altai in the East to the Crimea/Pontus in the West. They and their descendents, held sway throughout central Asia for over 2500 years (propably from 2100 BC to ca. 100 AD) until the rise of the Mongols.
They generally spurned agriculture and permanent construction or architecture. Their nomadic herding culture was horse-centred and they EXPLOITED ABUNDANT NATURAL SURFACE DEPOSITS OF GOLD. The impressive Scythians burials nearly always contained GOLD artifacts and ornaments....
AL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread