Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vox veritas said:
Some information available about the Australian law for land treasures? I appreciate the collaboration.

laws vary from state to state and the type of classification of land is important as well.i can not help you unless you provide more info.Within 200 miles of site will do that way your not giving away the spot you wish to hunt.

tinpan

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
yea dude your right on the money there, Australian Governments and Councils over regulate everything they can think of, all the politicians here are thick in the head. (well maybee not all but most are) i am going to look for some info on the laws for land treasures if i find anything i will post it here.

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find it, tell no one (besides us on here hehe)
and "shall be right mate"
:)

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
It depends is the answer, on many things.

Who owns the land.

These days out west here - one or another govt dept owns all of it - there's little "crown owned, common land" left.

They did this deliberately after the Mabo Decision to try and stop land rights claims over most of WA, all the crown land got vested as used for some purpose.

I know if a spot I believe there to be 3 barrels of Dutch Silver coins - brought to shore by Dutch Survivors off the Vergulde Draeke shipwreck.

Trouble is - while it isn't technically covered by the legislation of the shipwrecks act because it becomes a land treasure once the original owners brought it ashore and buried it - that wouldn't STOP our maritime Museum from claiming it under their act - they would find a way - calling it "other significant items" or some such as listed in our agreement in the Hague in 1972 with the Dutch.

The thing is a LOT of these councils and departments really aren't interested UNTIL you ask for permission - then things change - being loyal public servants they will scoure their legislation & policy and anything else they can find to tell you why you CANNOT do what you want.

In most cases (except mining) its best to ignore the departments and shire and just be discrete in what your doing!

When you find something just keep your trap shut!

Only a few weeks back the maritime museum raided a ouse in Geraldton and recovered coins off the Zyptdorp wreck - that someone had displayed / mounted in their back shed for 30 or more years! Obviously he peed off someone who dobbed him in.

There's an old saying - what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't desire.

I know few people in this word can keep their trap shut when they find something of worth.

It's human nature after all.

Cheers

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there is an Aussie gentleman who appears to be very proud of his finds. Check out this post. I am very curious as to where this is, seeing as how it sounds like there is not much public land available to do what he is doing on. He seems perfectly happy to show the world his discoveries. :read2:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,338532.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread