kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
wander aimlessly in circles with camera in hand
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvermagnet wrote:
the aztecs came from aztalan where they had their laws and such engraved on gold tablets.

not sure this statement is accurate ?
i can't really comment on the rest of your first post , without offending the neighbors . :laughing7:

cw seems like there was lots of this type of thing going on then . google vorhee plates or something , cant remember how to spell it

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
wander aimlessly in circles with camera in hand
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

sybex4

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith found the plates in Il, if they were of Aztec origin, then some signs of Aztec artifacts would be present in Illinois. I do not believe that any have been found in that area.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Smith found the plates in Il, if they were of Aztec origin, then some signs of Aztec artifacts would be present in Illinois. I do not believe that any have been found in that area.

Smith actually found the plates that comprised the Book of Mormon in New York state. The Kinderhook Plates, were allegedly found in Illinois, but not by Joseph Smith. There is also no credible evidence that Smith thought the Kinderhook Plates were authentic. The fact that he did not try to acquire them permanently and appears to have made no effort to translate suggests he believed they were either fake or not relevant to the work he as carrying out.

the book of mormon supposedly came from gold tablets that joseph smith found. the aztecs came from aztalan where they had their laws and such engraved on gold tablets. is it possible that smith found the tablets and simply mistranslated them to be/say something else?

While possible, I think this is improbable for a number of reasons. The first being, if he had the plates what incentive would he have to make a story up and write a book about them? Keep in mind his age at the time he reported to know about the Book of Mormon, he was in his early teens. If he had the plates but they were not brought to him by the power of the Lord, it seems more likely he would simply sell them for profit than go to the elaborate extremes of writing a fake book as an false means of translating them. Keep in mind, Smith and his family were not rich folks. Additionally, language and structural analysis of the Book of Mormon make it very hard to believe it was simply created.

I also know of no suggestions that the Aztecs kept records on gold plates, so if you have a source I'd love to take a look at it. If such a thing were true it would certainly lend credibility to Smith's story as it would prove early American's kept such records on metal plates. Smith's discovery of the plate sin New York also places the plates well out of the range of Atzlan compared to any geographic model I've ever seem. Most place Atzlan in the Utah/Colorado area with some recent suggestions that Cahokia in Missouri/Illinois as a new possibility.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
That's more than a little disrespectful...and inaccurate. Perhaps we can stay on topic though, less chance of stepping on toes. I recognize not everyone believes in the Book of Mormon, frankly though that's not really the nature of this thread.

FFARL

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go ahead and close this thread, as we have already proven that we can't have nice things like religious and political discussions. Sorry OP, I realize it was not your intention to stir the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread