Yeeehaa! My son will be coming home from Afghanistan within 30 days!!!

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hi, all Vets!! My son, stationed in Afghanistan, is assigned to Task Force Castle and is a member of all small group (about 16) of soldiers from the Decatur, Illinois, Combat Engineers. He is a member of an elite force, the 766th EHCC (explosive hazards coordination cell) deployed to Afghanistan last April. They are appropriately called the "IED Hunters". His unit was the first unit of its kind to go to Afghanistan. There are two in Iraq. I've attached a news site (DVIDS) with his pic and info on their demining of a mine field at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan. He is from Martinsville, Illinois, so you will know his pic when it comes up. It also shows a few members of his unit at the site. This is a great news site, and I recommend it to anyone who has friends or loved ones stationed overseas. Just register and get a username and password to read what's going on in different areas with our guys overseas. With this I'm attaching the DVIDS website and also the singing of the National Anthem by a group of girls at a basketball game. They are totally awesome!! C:\Users\rcarlen\Pictures\DVIDS Images Bagram Burning.mht NationalAnthem-CactusJH I hope the National Anthem opens. If not I'll try to add it again. To all you Vets...God Bless! Thanks for your service. Mine was from 1960 to 1975. rayc50

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
rayc50. Congrats on your boy coming home. Tell him thanks from all treasure netters. I for one really appreciate our soldiers. PJ

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:
Give him a big welcome home from all of us as soon as he gets in. :wink:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad he will be on his way home soon. When he arrives tell him THANK YOU from here. I have a son in law in Iraq now. His second tour there but he should be home in June or July. God Bless them all.

OP
OP
rayc50

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hi, All!! Thanks for your support. Chatted with him a while this morning on messenger. He's as anxious to get back as I am to have him back. It's been a stressful year for me, that's for sure. I think I've aged 10 years worrying, even tho I try not to. I know it's been even more stressful for him as well as the rest of our guys over there protecting our rights and privileges that some people take for granted here. Especially those who not only express their opinions but actively try to take away some of our rights given to us by our forefathers and founders. (I.E.: The right to bear arms!) This one really sticks in my craw!! Anyway...now I certainly know how my mother must have felt when I went to SE Asia in the 70's. Thanks All. God Bless!! I'll update when he and the rest of his unit get back to 'the world'. rayc50

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
SC_hunter said:
Glad he will be on his way home soon. When he arrives tell him THANK YOU from here. I have a son in law in Iraq now. His second tour there but he should be home in June or July. God Bless them all.

yes from me too both of them a BIG THANK YOU, those boys and girls make me proud everyday and it has nothing to do with me being retired from the armed forces.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a cold beer waiting for him...

Just got back from Afghanistan on Thursday myself, that was the best tasting beer I've had in a long time.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is awesome news. My continued prayers for the safety our fighting men and women. Please thank him for his service.

OP
OP
rayc50

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hi, Guys!! Thanks for all your support and I will sure pass it on to him. I was informed that his unit has moved out of their b-huts into tents (last week) for the remainder of their tour. Their replacements have arrived and my son's unit's work is finished. They should be arriving in Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, about the 9th or 10th of March. I, personally got him signed up with our local VFW and now have his card waiting on him. Wreckdiver, I'd love to buy him a beer, but, alas, you have to be 21 in Illinois and he won't be there until November. It's ironic isn't it?? They'll send a young man to fight for our country, carry a 9mm pistol and an M4, put his life on the line for our so-called politician's luxuries, but then he's not allowed to come back and have a cold beer! Really sticks in my craw!! That's red-neck farm boy talk for it really p----- me off!! Had a heck of a time trying to get him signed up with the VFW. They kept telling me he had to be 21 to get in. I acquired a copy of the bylaws....and read them to the V....eventually they came around to the fact that he can come in but can't drink or purchase alcohol. But at least I got him joined up! If anyone knows of some of our guys coming back from these countries under 21 and hit a stumbling block trying to get signed up, just produce the bylaws......as long as they're members ..... they can get in to the V at any function....but if your drinking age is 21 in your home state, then they can't purchase or drink alcoholic beverages. Again, thanks guys. I and my son appreciate your support. God Bless them All!! Rayc50

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Politicians are like that. They send our men and women around the world to meet strange and wonderful people and kill them but they don't want them to learn any bad habits like smoking or drinking or gambling. Thus, years ago, the three-packs of sample cigarettes were removed from the rations; the slot machines were removed from the clubs and just this year they had to get "special permission" to have a beer with their pizza during the Super Bowl. If folks want american help to hell with their customs and beliefs. Our guys wouldn't be sharing their beer with them anyway.
I especially like it when some stone age misogynist tries to insist that our female troops wear burkhas in their country. Our ladies should look the pissants straight in the eye and say "If you think you're man enough make me!" siegfried schlagrule

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am happy to hear your son is safely coming home. You must be relieved.... and proud. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread