Calling All Army Dawgies - When and Where did you go to Boot camp.

GodsServant71

Dec 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft Jackson SC... Echo 1/34 3rd Platoon DS. Smith .... " To easy soldier to easy". Oct 1992

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll never forget it! Fort Knox Kentucky! It was June, July, and August of 1975. Being a northern California boy I had never experienced humid weather before! It was extremely uncomfortable! How can anyone live in this! Had never seen lighting bugs before! They were everywhere at night! This was old time army basic training where
the drill sargents were all still old school. Every time someone screwed up in the platoon our drill sargents would drop us for pushups or make us low crawl across
asphalt, gravel, or what ever we were marching on. We low crawled so much that all 40 guys in our platoon had blood streaming down from our elbows! I remember
seeing trails of blood across the ground from the guys low crawling ahead of me! We low crawled while .50 cal. machine gun fire was over the top of our heads, I had
a stray tracer round land about 5 feet from my legs! That stray round layed there still burning in the dirt! We were up every morning at 5am and were run raged until
12 midnight! I remember how tired I was all the time! Morning chow had that disgusting white sticky stuff called "grits"! Haw can any normal person eat that cra*!
My feet hurt like hel*! They never would let us sit down! Not even for chow! The drill sargents were sometimes inhuman, even sadistic. Glad it's over!

Attachments

• fort knox.jpg
    fort knox.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 121

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I forgot. C-8-4. "Charley, Charley, Charley 8- 4, We like it Here, We Like it Here, We're Hard Core"! ...We screamed this from the top
of our lungs every day!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Up on Tank Hill, right along Drag-Ass hill in B-3-1, Ft. Jackson SC. Got to the reception center on 7/5/77, 1st day at basic was 7-7-77. I still remeber Drill Sgt Redd, we were his 18th cycle that won both honor platoon and were the drill competition winners.

"B" is for Bravo,
"B" is for the best
We will prove it by the test,
No task too difficult,
No mission too great,
Duty - Honor - Country

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on Tank Hill, right along Drag-Ass hill in B-3-1, Ft. Jackson SC. Got to the reception center on 7/5/77, 1st day at basic was 7-7-77. I still remeber Drill Sgt Redd, we were his 18th cycle that won both honor platoon and were the drill competition winners.

"B" is for Bravo,
"B" is for the best
We will prove it by the test,
No task too difficult,
No mission too great,
Duty - Honor - Country

I remembered Tank Hill, but had forgotten about " Drag Ass " hill ! LOL

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1983 - Fort Leonard Wood Mo. then off to Fort Gordon Georgia for AIT - 36K, Commo ending up in Erlangen Germany.

Hated every minute of it - but wouldn't trade the experience for anything......

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe everyone hated most of BCT when they were there but we all look back on that time and would not change it for the world. I would not be the man I am if not for the 27 years I was affiliated with the Army.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Nine pages of this thread and no one else was "Sentenced" to Ft. Polk (Puke) for training?

1975 Ft.Polk for BCT, AIT (11-B) and an extra two weeks for Anti Armor School. Guess they could tell I liked making things go BOOM! Second to the last training cycle to go through Ft. Puke. before 5th Mech took the post over.
Also worked as 11-C (mortar crewman) 76-Y30 (armorer)

Got out after 4 year and joined the local Guard unit which after all that time blowing up tanks decided I needed to be inside one. I felt like I had a huge target on me for some strange reason.......:dontknow:

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Golden,

I bet many were but you are the only one brave enough to admit it ha ha
All the best

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a couple of people who went to Polk for basic. I was stationed there from 07-09 though

cojo

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bravo Company. Ft Knox KY. 1989....winter.

The drill sgt's were in the kinder and gentler era at that point by MONTHS....and they were PISSED about it.

Of course.......I still got the crap knocked outta me by them....ahahahahaaa.....I deserved it of course.

God Bless Drill Sergeants. They helped me alot.

Good story from basic:

We had a guy who "accidentally" got roughed up while the driver of the vehicle transporting us from the processing center to the barracks. His arm was broken in short.

This dude passed the pt test by far, on run, sit ups, AND push ups.....one-armed! Yet he was not passed to AIT because of military push-up requirements. (two hands on ground, shoulders squared...etc..etc)

That guy was really cool....and he took the rules with dignity despite the unfair nature and spirit.

Last edited:

Trooper10

Dec 27, 2014
Las Cruces, NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and my son uses the Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft McClellan AL. 1992. Hated big baines and baby baines. Hills from he@@

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft McClellan AL. 1992. Hated big baines and baby baines. Hills from he@@

I was there from 90 till end of 91 know that base well. I was there for a year and a half. If you were only there for training you missed a lot of the base. I patrolled that base on a month then aggressor platoon for a month. Spent a lot of time at yahoo lake. Found out years later we were contaminated bad from the chemicals stored there and leaking into water system. One of most contaminated bases in military.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nine pages of this thread and no one else was "Sentenced" to Ft. Polk (Puke) for training?

1975 Ft.Polk for BCT, AIT (11-B) and an extra two weeks for Anti Armor School. Guess they could tell I liked making things go BOOM! Second to the last training cycle to go through Ft. Puke. before 5th Mech took the post over.
Also worked as 11-C (mortar crewman) 76-Y30 (armorer)

Got out after 4 year and joined the local Guard unit which after all that time blowing up tanks decided I needed to be inside one. I felt like I had a huge target on me for some strange reason.......:dontknow:

I only spent 3 weeks there for JRTC almost 20 years ago. I was in the woods two weeks of it and it was like the jungle. It would be sunny and then it would rain every day for about 30 minutes, and then the temperatures would go back up to 100 degrees. The vines were over a foot deep where we had to dig in, but it was interesting because there was all this fruit in the woods (grapes, muscadines, sassafras) Funny, we had a couple of folks diagnosed with "combat stress". LOL. It sucked, but it wasn't THAT bad.

First night I was pulling perimeter waiting for our trucks to arrive. (They never did, they got lost, LOL.) I accidently laid down in a fire ant nest. Woke up having this nightmare of the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds" and was covered with fire ants and bites. Folks were telling me to go the medic. I just shook it off and kept going. No big deal to me. I was hardcore when I was younger. I don't know how or why. Those ants were huge, they were as big as mosquito hawks.

I spent the first few years as a cannon crewmember and then became a forward observer. We were kind of mindless on the gunline, doing what we were told. Then I was out front having to make life taking decisions and hoping that I wasn't walking the rounds too close or the redlegs didn't make a mistake. I remember a unit moving up close to our guns while we were calling and they dropped a round outside of our safety box in front of our gunline. I was told that the unit almost got some folks killed not too long before. There were a bunch of ROTC cadets learning how to call for fire and they kept dropping rounds short and landing them in a lake. Scary stuff, especially because they were future officers. My fire support officer said he would kick our butts if anyone called a round in the lake like they kept doing.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah... Ft PUKE was the common name for it and never did a nickname fit better. On our first bivouac of AIT I had just come off guard duty and thought I heard the D.I. getting ready to toss the tear gas. I popped open the tent and found myself face to face with a big old raccoon that was hunting for a handout. Another trip out for land nav and the entire platoon got stuck in some trees for almost an hour thanks to Mamma Wild Sow and her little piglets. We didn't even have as much as a blank round to use to scare her off with. The wild life at Ft PUKE was very wild. Between wild hogs, Raccoons, snakes of all types, gators, fire ants, sand chiggers and skeeters that could fly off with some of the smaller guys it stayed "interesting" to say the least.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Jackson S.C - Basic 1987 - Fort Sam Houston Tx. - Medic School.

Fort Rucker Alabama. 1987-92

Attachments

• Flatiron.png
    Flatiron.png
    211.9 KB · Views: 137

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread