High priced ammo!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in agreement. My friend just bought a single shot .223 and he could only find a handful of bullets and he was at my farm and he only shot 2 rounds because he didnt want to use the little few he had because it was all he could find.

milehigh

Jul 10, 2012
Castle Rock,CO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very pro 2nd amendment....and have many firearms, but guess what.....the world is not ending! Stop freaking out and stop hoarding all of the ammo!!!!!! Too many conspiracy theorists out there.

Last edited:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very pro 2nd amendment....and have many firearms, but guess what.....the world is not ending! Stop freaking out and stop hoarding all of the ammo!!!!!! Too many conspiracy theorists out there.

One cannot hoard what one cannot find....... <<<<< - Quote by FreedomUIC - 02/20/2013

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give my left arm to find some .40 S&W. Guess I will have to make do with the 1,000 rounds I have but that means no range time....:BangHead:

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the high price of ammo now-a-days, do not expect me to fire warning shots anymore. TTC

I have this sign on my front door

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't take my son squirrel hunting because I cant buy .22 rounds anywhere

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22 rounds are available near me. I got so,e at farm and fleet last month.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22 rounds are available near me. I got so,e at farm and fleet last month.

I have been looking for a box for over a month every store and internet site and no luck

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then i guess the three boxes i have should be used slowly and carefully. I have even picked up boxes of shotgun shells on sale.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then i guess the three boxes i have should be used slowly and carefully. I have even picked up boxes of shotgun shells on sale.

I wouldn't. Blow them off that's for sure. I can get shotgun shells no prob just no .22 shells

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price on ammo is crazy my 9 mm used to cost me 9 bucks for 150 rounds ...damn goverment

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me preface this story with the following:
1) I live in Florida year round
2) I posted this on another forum I belong to but fits here.
3) I have to put up with BS from blue hairs/snowbirds for four months each year (The good four months).
4) Snowbirds pack the restaurants, banks, malls and such. They don't spend money, they watch people for the most part. When going to dinner they
usually order water with extra extra lemon and make freakin lemonade for free. When they leave, there is no sugar/sweetner packets, salt or pepper shakers and
at one establishment they took the roll of paper towels with them....:BangHead:

Anyways I digress, come the day after Easter we get our city back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without further ado, here is the whole truth....

Went to Wally's to pickup my prescription and get some lunch. To get from the Pharmacy to the food isle(deli) you have to walk through the sporting goods department.
Nothing but shotgun shells and two boxes of what appeared to be .40 S&W. Decided I would wait in line and see if I was correct. The gentlemen ahead of me shucked
out $2,400 for some kind of rifle, don't know what but it was only one rifle and I have never seen a rifle that expensive at Wally's ever. Turns out it was three black
rifles(Last three they had). These rifles were selling @ 599.99 three months ago, there are now/were selling at 799.99 and he got the last three. I know they are
not the quality of what a gunsmith/dealer would have but he took the remaining inventory. In the meantime these two old codgers were talking back
and forth ahead of me. This clerk comes from the back with a small box of ammunition and tells everyone in line that this is the only ammunition they received
for the week. I knew they were .40 S&W, Old codger #1 says, are they 9mm? The box had .40 S&W stamped on it! Old codger #2 says
"There is plenty of .9mm in Minnesota, it is like a .22 isn't it....:icon_scratch:. Old codger #1 says "I might as well sell my .9mm as there is no
more ammunition and buy a .40". At that point the clerk started to put the box under the counter and I asked how many of them he had, his response to me
was "5 - 100" boxes in this one and we have 4 50 round boxes in the shelves behind me. He had FMJ in the box of 5 and HP in the shelves.
I said I would take it all, he said that he could only sell me three boxes of the same ammunition per day. I stated Great!!!!!!! Give me six, three from the box and I will
take three from the shelves behind him. He said he couldn't do that as they were the same. I politely pointed out that yes, they were the same caliber but the
ammunition was not. One was FMJ and the Other was HP. He gave me a blank stare for a couple of seconds and agreed. :laughing7:
Old codger #1 says "What if I wanted some .40" to which I replied, "You don't own a .40 and there is still two in the box and one behind the counter".
Old codger #2 pipes in with "It is people like you that are causing these shortages" to which I replied "Take your smelly ass back to Minnesota and get all the 22/.9mm
you want". "Oh and by the way, Minnesota is 75 north until you hit 40 and then hang a left." Clerk started to smirk and the old man started to open his
mouth when I told him, "I am willing to have a battle of wits with you but I am hopelessly convinced you are unarmed". Turned and walked out smiling holding my prescription
and six boxes of .40 S&W.........

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make your shots count. lol... Sportsmanguide has ammo. Cabelas has tons too..lol

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recondigger......I bought a used 22 the other day that will fire shorts and longs as well as long rifle. I still have thousands of long rifle rounds for my semi-auto but I can save those and shoot the easier to find shorts and longs in the rifle I just bought.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately in late 1999 I purchased 3K rounds of CCI Stingers, stored them in airtight boxes as the 2000 scare was bogus and no computers crashed (that made any important changes at least). I still have most of them and they work fine. However finding good .22 ammunition where the lead does not spin in the casing is impossible, Remington & WW bulk boxes all have lead that spins in the casing. CCI in LR is not available.

Now if/when this scare ends there will be so much stored ammunition in homes that the ammunition industry might have a few hard years and that will not be good for any of us Freedom Loving Legal U.S. Citizens, IMHO. I also have a set of new bands for my slingshot though they are illegal in some states, how stupid! The government of this country, either Democrats or Republicans, has really dropped the ball with keeping this country legal, honest, moral, with high integrity and standards like the Boy Scouts of America. Pretty soon anyone that wants can marry their dog/horse/etc - OK I will stop as I can tell I need a blood pressure pill...............63bkpkr

chili501

Mar 29, 2013
Fortunately in late 1999 I purchased 3K rounds of CCI Stingers, stored them in airtight boxes as the 2000 scare was bogus and no computers crashed (that made any important changes at least). I still have most of them and they work fine. However finding good .22 ammunition where the lead does not spin in the casing is impossible, Remington & WW bulk boxes all have lead that spins in the casing. CCI in LR is not available.

Now if/when this scare ends there will be so much stored ammunition in homes that the ammunition industry might have a few hard years and that will not be good for any of us Freedom Loving Legal U.S. Citizens, IMHO. I also have a set of new bands for my slingshot though they are illegal in some states, how stupid! The government of this country, either Democrats or Republicans, has really dropped the ball with keeping this country legal, honest, moral, with high integrity and standards like the Boy Scouts of America. Pretty soon anyone that wants can marry their dog/horse/etc - OK I will stop as I can tell I need a blood pressure pill...............63bkpkr

I use OO buckshot for my wristrocket and at full draw it will go thru a 1/4 piece of plywood. You can get the shot at must gun shops the sell reloading supplies.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been paying Dr. bills now, owe my sister money and feel like the poorest man in America. But I have a few hundred rounds of ammo. Unfortunately my guns are in the pawn shop down the road...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't after never having been a gun person how the shortage would really affect those who like plinking for plinking sake. My husband usually goes to Academy Sports three times a week early in the morning when they get shipments and the last few times no ammo at all except for really odd rounds. He refuses to go to a specialty shop where they jack the prices up but have availability of most all types.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread