Death of Ronnie Deatherage

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ronnie has moved on to bigger and better things. Recently, while doing a search of names in my unit, I found that Deatherage died in 2009. I remember him as "Delger" but I guess my memory needs a shakedown! I couldn't search for Philly, Chief, Smiley.... everyone used a nickname. While with CAP 113, as a CAP commander, I recieved the Navy achievement medal with "Valor" device for planning and executing 300 ambushes and patrols without an American fatality. Ronnie was fearless and helped me achieve that medal, as all the dedicated Marines in CAP 113 were. Deatherage was the recipient of a Presidential unit citation, a Vietnamese presidential unit citation, the Vietnamese Cross of Galantry, and several other medals. Thanks, Ronnie, we will meet again. Semper Fi, my friend. Terry

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIP brother . :award_star_silver_2:award_star_silver_1:goldmedalred:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those that have been in battle, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected can never know. Sgt. T. T. Cieszki, USMC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, your comments of a lost friend and soldier touched me, clicking like just was not the right hence this note. Thank you Military Personnel of all branches! Herb

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, your comments of a lost friend and soldier touched me, clicking like just was not the right hence this note. Thank you Military Personnel of all branches! Herb
Herb, We lived right in the village. 7 to 12 Marines and a Corpsman. We had alot of eye-to-eye contact with charlie and some NVA outfits. It was up close and personal. That kind of combat meant everyone learned how to take care of each other. No shirkers. You literally saved each other's lives. It becomes personal when one of your own dies back then or now. I appreciate the thank you, Herb. Terry

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear. And good to hear about the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. I had never heard of anyone else receiving one - I did in Cambodia - LZ Spearhead with the 4th Infantry. Long ago but never forgotten.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I read a thing from the American Legion a couple years ago. There were somewhere over 2.7 million on the ground Viet vets, and as of 2005 there were only some 800,000 of us left.

Yet, in the 2010 census, there were 14 million Viet vets.... Fancy that! Everybody wants to be somebody...

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear. And good to hear about the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. I had never heard of anyone else receiving one - I did in Cambodia - LZ Spearhead with the 4th Infantry. Long ago but never forgotten.
Back in the '60s, the Cross of Gallantry WAS something. When the politicos fled Vietnam, the CoG was given to ALL Viet Vets.... watering it down. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread