How many Vietnam Vets Still on this site?

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this thread. I'm here too. USAF 63-67. Like you Deepseeker, up until just the past 3-4 years when I started using the VA Healthcare System, I hadn't talked about it or even acknowledged it much with anyone at all. Walking into that VA Hospital for the first time and seeing all the other vets, and fellow Nam vets was like a homecoming of sorts. Now my favorite ballcap reads, "Proud Veteran-US Air Force" and I too have had many people just walk up to me when wearing it, young and old, shake my hand and say Thank You for your service. Sure feels good and is different than back in the late 60's and early 70's! To all my brothers and sisters in here, "Welcome Home".

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vietnam 67-68. Just survived my third cancer from agent orange, leukemia, melanoma, prostate. I'd do it again.

Hey Old Man, just read your post, Vietnam 68-69 A Co 3d Recon, good to see you're still walking, talking, and breathing, I'm right behind ya on our second fight, multiple myeloma, ischemic heart disease, neuropathy.... and the list goes on, at least we can still swing the coil, and yes, I volunteered for the first 25 yrs & I'd do it again. HH

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Man, just read your post, Vietnam 68-69 A Co 3d Recon, good to see you're still walking, talking, and breathing, I'm right behind ya on our second fight, multiple myeloma, ischemic heart disease, neuropathy.... and the list goes on, at least we can still swing the coil, and yes, I volunteered for the first 25 yrs & I'd do it again. HH

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Deepseeker, I went to Vietnam twice, first time I was assigned to the 4th Infantry at An Khe but I was only 17 at the time, got shipped off to Okinawa.

kevin

Welcome Kevin, Lost2Much and I were based at An Khe in 1970, he and I "vacationed" at several LZ's and FSB's at approximately the same times, though we didn't know each other. Another contemporary was Admiral De Salee, also at the same time period.

Roger

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

BDinutah and Old Man, sorry for your infirmities, and glad to see you're both walking upright and swinging. Thank you for your service, and I pray you both continue to plague mankind for many more productive years :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never physically set foot in Nam, but was over Nam on B52s...

ARC light flights 306 Bomb Wing Kadena AFB Okinawa...1968-69, 70-71...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never physically set foot in Nam, but was over Nam on B52s... ARC light flights 306 Bomb Wing Kadena AFB Okinawa...1968-69, 70-71... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter, you may never had physically been there, but you certainly made an impression on the ground! My recon team & I had the opportunity to experience one of your ARC lights up close & personal...it was a "shocking & uplifting" experience that left us breathless and the show was nothing like I'd seen before! Thanks for being there, we needed your support.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never physically set foot in Nam, but was over Nam on B52s......

Treasure_Hunter, you may never have been there, but you certainly left an "impression" on the ground, my Recon team & I got to experience an ARC light up close & personal, you could say it wa a "shocking & uplifting" experience that left us breathless, we gave the show 5 stars! Thanks for being their when we needed you.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
66-67. Bien Hoa and Duc Hoa. I never mentioned too people that I was a Vietnam veteran. About 2 years ago I had the honor of meeting a WW11 vet. We talked for a while during which I commented on the pins on his veterans baseball cap. He asked, "where's yours?". I meekly responded that I didn't have one. He told me to get one and to wear it. He said to go ahead and let people know you served your country. Now, when going outside that cap is the first thing I grab. Just moved to Virginia and have already had several, "thanks for serving". Let me tell you...It feels great to hear that! Side note: Some where around 1985-87 (?) I had the honor I meeting Gen. Westmoreland in, (of all places) Evanston, WY. He was there to dedicate a Vietnam memorial. We talked for about 15 minutes. Matter of fact he kept the mayor waiting until we finished our conversation. As we said our goodbyes he grabbed my hand with both his hands, looked me right in the eyes and said, " son, we could have won that war if the politicans would have let us. Let us go forward to enjoy what time we have left with our families!!

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
son we could have won that war if the politicans would have let us. Let us go forward to enjoy what time we have left with our families!![/QUOTE said:
Amen "...freedom has a special savor that only those who have fought for it will ever know" (found written on a C-ration box top, Khe Sahn, RVN 1968

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread