How many stuck it out till retirement?

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
21 years in the Army. Retired May 2011, the work force isn't as kind as it use to be. In the old days you walk into a business, say you are retired military, they shake your hand, and say when can you start. Now a days everybody says go to our website, and apply there. Then you don't hear squat. Even getting a GS position that you are fully qualified for doesn't help. The computers reviewing your resume are worthless.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 12 years USMC, 13 years US Army. I loved being in Marine Recon, but when I returned from Vietnam my comptroller stuck me on recruiting duty...for 7 years. I volunteered for an unaccompanied tour to get out of it, my wife was not pleased. After I returned I was supposed to have my choice of duty station...and they stuck me on recruiting duty again! As soon as my enlistment was up, I joined the Army, at the same E-7 rank, got into SF and life was great again. After 25 years I got out & and nobody would hire me...started my own business, 10 years, then went to college & got my degree, and this "crazed snake eater" became an elementary school teacher for 10 years and loved every minute of it!

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 12 years USMC, 13 years US Army. I loved being in Marine Recon, but when I returned from Vietnam my comptroller stuck me on recruiting duty...for 7 years. I volunteered for an unaccompanied tour to get out of it, my wife was not pleased. After I returned I was supposed to have my choice of duty station...and they stuck me on recruiting duty again! As soon as my enlistment was up, I joined the Army, at the same E-7 rank, got into SF and life was great again. After 25 years I got out & and nobody would hire me...started my own business, 10 years, then went to college & got my degree, and this "crazed snake eater" became an elementary school teacher for 10 years and loved every minute of it!

Now that is good stuff. I just signed up for collage myself. Not sure what I want to do yet life is good. :occasion14:

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is good stuff. I just signed up for collage myself. Not sure what I want to do yet life is good. :occasion14:

Birdman, it's never too late to start college, I completed my BS in 3 years at age 50, you need a college degree now days to live, take advantage of the GI bill. Teaching school will never get you monetarily rich, but I wanted to give back to society for all the blessings & protection our Creator had given me & my family during my service to my country. Good luck in your next career & HAPPY HUNTING!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I retired from the Army with 22 qualifying years back in 2004 after returning from Operation Enduring Freedom.

Last edited:

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I have found that most jobs are either government (city/county/state/federal) or "other" (local/private/family owned, etc). Your military service will help you compete for a government job. It does not necessarily translate well for the "other" jobs. If you get enough college degrees, you will compete in the "professional" realm. If you are good at trade/skills/etc, you will be competitive in the "other" realm. My advice to young kids joining the military: get job training that you can immediately use on the civilian market!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired 8.5 yrs ago. 21 years in the USAR Engineers. The same unit. Miss it and my friends. My stepsons. 1 medically retired Army,his wife has 19 yrs USAF,another son has 13 yrs army so far. And another with 18 yrs USAF reserves as well as his girlfriend. Hooah ! Thank you all retired or not.:occasion14:

Ambush

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2010
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 GARRETT ULTRA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your service Birdman and CONGRATS:notworthy:
I only did 4 yrs USMC. 1965-1969..

reloader83

Apr 24, 2016
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 @ AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I served 21 & 1/2 and retired after Yugoslavia action. (1978-1999) Good to have served my country and in the USAF! Enjoyed and miss working jets.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
18 Years Army and was retired due to medical reasons. Had one too many bad days and they said my body was done, even after I appealed it. Got 90% from the Army and a combined service connected rating from the VA of 100%.

But I showed them, my fight was not over, far from over, I landed a spot with Interpol and still get to play, just on a Team much smaller. But I love it.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
23 years, 3 months, and 3 days.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Thanks for your Service. I did 23 years Coast Guard Special Ops. Loved it. Broke my back and neck in an accident. Had to leave. I miss it. May God Bless Us All & Ours. PEACE:RONB

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years, 6 months USAF. 1974-1994. Middle East during Cold War vs Soviets. "Hire a veteran". I do every chance I can.

Gravitytester

Feb 29, 2016
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur I, Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
26 years Army EOD, now work for local utility company as a Electric Engineer. 4 more years and I will be done with this job too, they give me partial credit for military time. Don't plan on having another job after that. A lot of traveling both here and abroad in my future.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me 8 years active duty USAF and now civil service doing the same job going on 17 years
Wife 22 years active duty USAF, retired and swore to never work for the Government again.

kbmarcus

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stuck it out for 30 years and 6 months and retired in November 2016. Never thought I'd make it past PFC frankly.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I stuck it out for 30 years and 6 months and retired in November 2016. Never thought I'd make it past PFC frankly.

Heard that, I never thought I would make it past Private, ended with WO2, had it my way I would still be in. Crap pay but way too much fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread