How many stuck it out till retirement?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Dave, you might have changed my mind about working to find a GS or WS position. I was going to go a different route all together but my old boss told me to come see him at Eglin AFB for a job. Still not sure which way to fly.

GS or WS? **** man, I'm still in a WG position by choice, but we're another two years down the line and I'm actually beginning to slow down now. I'm dreading that desk job, but it's going to have to happen eventually.

My advice still stands. Whatever one does in life, one must realize that it can't last forever. Have an exit strategy.

fivepak

Greenie
Apr 30, 2014
Nashua, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Army, ten active and 12 national guard. I can retire now, but my son joined and I'm going to hang in there until he's done. If I deploy again I'd like to watch out for him. We're in the same unit.

Well I just dusted off my AT Pro and have the itch to detect again. I figured I'd update my status on this thread. I retired last year after my son and I did end up going to Al Asad, Iraq for a year. I was his platoon sergeant and wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Though, it's great being retired and I went full duck dynasty on the beard that that I wasn't allowed in the military.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on all your services!

3 years, 6 months, and 18 days was all I could take it at the time. Vietnam changed me, and I couldn't take it anymore. I was Mom's Apple Pie until Kent State.

Edit: I was in Cambodia when news of Kent State came.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18 Years Army and was retired due to medical reasons. Had one too many bad days and they said my body was done, even after I appealed it. Got 90% from the Army and a combined service connected rating from the VA of 100%.

But I showed them, my fight was not over, far from over, I landed a spot with Interpol and still get to play, just on a Team much smaller. But I love it.
Almost as much fun as getting sheep dipped & working for the company? :laughing7:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and Thank You for your service.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG
4 years was enough for me.CIA controlled & operated. S.O.W.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,don't know him.But then again the base I was at was Hugh. 003.JPG Bottom shot is looking 180 degrees from the top shot.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
7 years, 223rd combat engineers, Mississippi. Jeep driver expert. No more Camp Shelby. Yes Haw.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chiming in for my husband. He will retire next year after 26 years in the Army. He is a nervous wreck about finding a job once we move back to Texas. I keep reminding him that his commitment to serve for 26 years will look wonderful on any resume , plus the degree he is working on. Guess it's a normal feeling for someone who has lived and breathed military life since he was 17 years old.
Thank you all for your service.

Trust me, your military service will help you. The employers rejoice at finding people who know how to follow instruction without questioning every little detail and just get job done. I put three years in the early 60's and decided to get an education and my college advisor told me that being a vet helped me getting into Georgia Tech. The only reason I graduated was that those three years prepared me for the hard work of studying and graduating from Ga Tech. The Army taught me how to get the job done. And my job was to make good grades and graduate. Thanks US Army. Before joining the Army I was a C and D student in HS. I hated to study and go to classes in HS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread