VA Dental Plan, anyone have experience with this?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd mentioned a week or more ago that I wished the VA had a dental plan. I had an appointment today and found this document for the first time.

Does anyone have experience with this - I have my reservations, it would be extremely limited.

View attachment VA-Dental008.pdf

Still learning my new scanner and I don't like it at all, tough to deal with. Clipped off a bit of the first document, which happens to be the last document..... Such is life....

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep,

For full disclosure, I have no real first hand knowledge of their dental program. In fact, I was told several years ago that the only Vets who could get dental care through the VA were those who suffered service related injuries/damage to their teeth/mouth. Since I was not covered in that definition, I never looked further into it. I figured that the VA should know what they did and didn't cover. If you find out differently, please let us know.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only thing I know is when I got out in 1972, They would do a complete fix on your teeth, one time. I still have gold fillings from that repair. I have had no truck with the VA since. The only way I found out about it was the young dentist contacted me...it wasn't something they advertised.
Jim

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked into it extensively. It's bogus. It's just your standard dental insurance...wait months before you make your first claim, pay every month, get a small discount when you have real work done. You can get the same not so great deal without the VA. It's not actually the VA that's giving the coverage.
Tooth pulls, crowns, fillings and root canals still cost an arm & a leg out of pocket. That's what I found here in s florida.
The VA just doesn't want to get into dental coverage. I even tried to get my Congressman on the mission, but his staffers were intimidated by the pushback.
We're on our own when our teeth start failing. For now.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
We're on our own when our teeth start failing. For now.

Thanks eddie, it is exactly what I figured. Insured dental care is pretty well crap now. Something like a $500 deductible, a $1500 limit, and not everything covered. I'd had a crown in the 80's for $250 after insurance. My last crown replacement was over $1000. My dental implant (two posts & a slug of gold) was $12,000...... My bone graft was $6000.....

But I'm still chewing without dentures!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a category one vet (service connected 100% disabled). I get free dental, and other stuff. I cannot help with your questions but, as for me, my dental people take GOOD care of me. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread