Best Times to Hunt and where on the beach to hunt

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
Any Tips of metal detecting on a beach, wheres the best place to find rings on a beach. I have metal detected a bunch of times on the beach but never found a ring or any sort of rare finds. i find 5 clad coroded quarters or some sorts of dimes. so can you give me some tips that would help me find Rings and other sorts of rare things. :-[

Upvote 0

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
From my experience, rings can be anywhere. I have found them all the way up towards the dunes to waist deep at low tide. I really think they move around daily same goes for all of the clad or anything else at the beach. It's an odds game, soon or later you will get a ring just keep diggin! :thumbsup:

Forgot, the best times to hunt are when there is no one else hunting!

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
The best time to hunt for me is either early morning or late evening, when it is cool, and when there are no crowds on the beach.

I tend to look for the scalloped areas created by the outgoing tides, where the beach has dips or low valleys in the sand. These generally will be a few inches lower than the surrounding areas, and are a good place for heavy items to settle.

I found a ring just yesterday morning, searching out one of these long valleys of scalloped areas near the water line on Nokomis beach.

Of course, out in the water is also a good place to find rings . . . and so is the chair line or towel line.

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First and formost is to not disc out pull tabs....

Learn how to hunt a beach at http://thegoldenolde.com/

To tell you here it would take many pages. :icon_study:

Good Luck,
Sandman

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you using? I have found rings everywhere, but it took me awhile to get the hang of finding them. I had the tendency to just dig solid tones but thats not the case in most rings I find, they do not sound like they do when I bench tested them. I dig everything now, even knowing its going to be a bottle cap, tent stake, to me the rings sound just like the pull tabs and even more so like the round pull tabs. I don't want to miss anything so I just dig it all even if it makes just a tweak of a sound. I have pulled out dimes this way that were several scoops deep.

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
depends on what you mean by beach ? if it's an ocean beach, ya! they can be anywhere, because of storms or tide effects, if it's an inland beach away from the water ( where the water level does not flutuate ) hunt the dry sand, things get lost in dry sand, where as if it's wet sand, they just lay on top, go down when the beach is at it's busiest, not to hunt then but to see which areas get the most use.

tc

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surf line where the water is kissing the beach where the moms and dads would sit and dig in the sand with the kids. Turn up your sens until if falses and back off just until its stable. Dig anything that makes a noise, you will probably be digging 2-4 scoops.

Also in the dry sand at the end of the day where all the umbrellas or towels were.

Its just a matter of getting out there sticking to it and learning the beach and your machine.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Spent two months oceanfront last winter. Nothin'.

A lot of it is luck. Sure if you hunt where people are logically going to be sitting you may find something.

Best advice, be out there for fun and exercise. Not treasure. You'll be disappointed surely.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman hit it on the nose.....Check out The Goldenolde, read all there is there first......

I have found a diamond ring on the last swing of my hunt as I was leaving the beach maybe 3 feet from the stairs to the showers.

I have found a diamond ring in a sand castle on the wet sand.

I have found a diamond ring at waters edge.

I have found a diamond ring waist deep in the surf

I have found a diamond ring chest deep in the surf..

Moral of my little post is they can be found anywhere from the seawall to where you can no longer stand...

The secret is getting your coil over a target, and then listening to what your detector is telling you when you do. I dig ALL signals that repeat in 2 directions, I discriminate out nothing, I set my sense so my detector is stable, where ever that setting happens to be at that time.

Learn to read the water, lots of cuts and holes in the water, and the water over them reacts different then over flat surface.

Good luck and good hunting.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think of any beach as 4 seperate beaches it becomes easier:
1. Dry beach> anywhere people put there lounge chairs, play volley ball, build sand castles etc. Most beaches the lounging area is in a straight line down the beach, making it easy to ID and just walk and hunt the lounge line.
2. Tide line> part of the beach where everyone walks toe rings, people shaking water off arms after coming out of water etc.
3. Tide line to 1 foot depth>> Area mothers take there children to rinse the sand off or after going pee pee, skim boarders etc ..
4. 2 foot to chest depth> Area where people go to rinse sand off in the shallows, going in to cool off, or take a leak, area in deeper chest depth where frolicing occurs.

This applies to any beach, does it get raked every nite by the beach cleanup crews, if so you want to beat the raking, if not then Low tide gives you more beach. The rakers just hit the dry sand area stopping before the high tide line.

Break the beach down into parts, a beach is huge and can overwhelm you if you don`t stop and analize it. If you don`t have a water detector specialize in the area you can (dry sand) study it and the people, where do they lounge,play volleyball, build sand castles, anything that perhaps jewerly could slip off of suntan oil soaked fingers. Some people take there jewerly off while laying on blankets, setting them on one side, wait for a really sudden fast moving storm to hit, everyone jumps up grabs the blanket and runs, it isn`t til a couple mins later they remember the jewerly they took off and placed on the blanket beside them.

These are just a few ideas to help ya along, there are many more. It takes time and many many hours/days of working any beach to learn the signs and tricks, once you learn the normal weather beaches then you have to learn the storm beaches, as one is totally opposite the other, after you learn both then its a """BLAST :icon_sunny: ""
Best of luck and study those beaches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread