Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Had A Secret But I'm Gonna Tell!

I feel kinda' sheepish after the evaluation and justification I made for the Cobra Beach Magnet detector I bought last week, but.......I decided to send it back. I traded it back in for a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II! Two things made me change my mind......well three things really. 1. I got to comparing it quality and aesthetic wise with my other detectors. It looks like a toy up next to any one of my others. Workmanship and finish can't even start to measure up. It is very typical of Chinese made products you see all the time. I really thought it would measure up to Cobra Electronics products, the company that makes the CBs and stereo equipment. It isn't the same company. 2. The cost. It is a a bargain price and it will find stuff. But, I have scrimped and cut corners all my life and have always wished I could buy better equipment. I can now and I'm 61, so how much longer am I going to be around to enjoy this hobby? A long time I hope, but you can't take it with you and besides I can afford it! 3. I went up to "my" beach late one afternoon this week and met up with another detectorist who said he was a member of my club. He had a Sea Hunter Mark II and let me play with it for a little while. Then we divided up the beach and he chose the area I had already hunted with the Cobra. I found a few clad pennies, a fake earring and a pile of junk. He found a silver bracelet, a 10K wedding band and a couple dollars in clad.....on the same area I had been over with the Cobra! That convinced me!
So, as soon as Kellyco gets the Cobra back they will send me the Sea Hunter. It's a PI based unit where the Cobra was a WLF (is that the right term?). Although a PI unit it does have some degree of discrimination...at least as good as the Cobra. It's been around a while and I have read several good reports on it. Even though there is only a few more weeks before cooler weather. I hope to get it out 4 or 5 times. It should get to me late next week or so. My daughter is moving to Virginia soon and I hope to go up to visit and take my detector with me next summer. It's not far from the coast so I might get some ocean detecting in after all.
Now, I'm not disparging anyone who owns a Cobra. For the $$$ it is an adequate machine. I just have champagne tastes on a beer budget!

Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: I Had A Secret But I'm Gonna Tell!

awwww i was gonna actually keep this secret too :D Sounds like you are getting a great detector, enjoy! o its Vlf ;)

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right! I knew that didn't look right! JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Con-grats Jim,

it's a wise choice you've made!

PI machines are good for saltwater/beaches, black sand, high mineral content, etc. and they go really REALLY deep!

It may take a while to get used to the way they operate compared to a VLF machine (as there is very little disc.) and they pick up on 'everything' but,

you'll enjoy it much more than the "Toy" you had ;D

HH

and give us a report after you use it a few times!

Lonewolfe

pondmn

Jul 1, 2003
Merced, Ca

Logo on a t-shirt......FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS HUNT WITH JUNK DETECTORS. Good decision. Pondmn

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It arrived today.? No instructions as to how it goes together.? I finally figured it out from looking at the pictures.? It doesn't go together like most detectors so we danced around the garage for a while!? I ran it for a few minutes out in the yard and it seems to work like my other detectors in the all metal mode.? I was able to discriminate out a pull tab or at least made the return signal so weak it was barelly audible.? Unfortunately that is the same range as gold? or so I am told!? It's going to take some getting use to after working with all the bells and whistles with my other detectors.? The PI based detector seem rather crude but I am told it's the only way to go for water hunting. I am really going to miss knowing what the depth of an object is.? I could use some pointers on how best to get off to a good start so I am open to suggestions!?Anybody else running the Sea Hunter I would appreciate being able to call on you for I'm sure what will be a lot of questions. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread