Reading the Beach

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Ltr113 said:
Can someone tell me what is meant by "reading the beach"? How is it done?

It's looking for areas where the tide might have deposited things and it all depends on the beach. There is a site that explains it all. Golden something or other. Someone will post a link to it I'm sure.

OP
OP
Ltr113

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually look for deposited small rocks, shells and seaweed when hunting the beach. Is this where I should be hunting?

G

gamiller

stitchlips said:
Ltr113 said:
Can someone tell me what is meant by "reading the beach"? How is it done?

It's looking for areas where the tide might have deposited things and it all depends on the beach. There is a site that explains it all. Golden something or other. Someone will post a link to it I'm sure.

http://thegoldenolde.com/

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden oldie is a great site.

To put in a few points:

If you are dry sand hunting, look for where the people go, meaning blanket marks, sand smoothed by a blanket laid on it, usually there will be cooler marks around it.
Areas where children have dug played or made sand castles
Where umbrellas were staked, usually there will be chair marks around it.
Most beaches show a line where most the sun bathers were parallel with the beach.
Areas where there are vendors selling drinks or food, includes piers.
Areas after tides where the beach has been cut
Areas after storms where the beach has been cut
Areas where shells and trash have been deposited by tides
Trash on the beach, cig butts, toys, pop tops all these show people were there

There are perhaps a hundred or more other clues i could write here, experience will be your teacher. When you are new or on a new beach, always stop and look at the beach first, study it think where does it look like the most people have been, if you have children where would u go with them.
Not going to discuss water hunting as that is a totally different aspect.

I have been beach and water hunting for over 20 years and still learn a new lil trick or two from mother nature and beaches, you will never learn it all. Keep an open mind and use it, there have been times i have hunted an area that for all aspects i should not have found a single thing but yet walked away with a great day, why, some lil voice inside my head said hunt it. You WILL get discouraged, you WILL get sunburnt, you WILL get tired as heck from swinging and digging, BUT after it is all said and done you feel good about it.

There WILL be days when a single corroded coin will be your best find, then again there will be dayssssss that make your heart jump into your throat, its up to u.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread