Question on keys (LONG POST)

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I went to the beach this morning. It was beautiful outside and as soon as it was light enough and I felt comfortable I got in the water. I didn't get but two hits and both were junk- one earring and a bobby pin. I met another MD'er in the water that I've met before and he said he wasn't getting much either but he was sure digging a whole lot more than I was! :-\

I decided to give the dry sand a try and found some clad. Then my detector went nuts and that hit was a set of keys. Funny thing - about a week ago I met this guy on the beach that was walking back and forth about in the same area. He asked me if I ever found any keys and that day I said not today but I have other times. I offered to hunt for a while in the general area he "thought" he had lost them but he then left and since I didn't know who he was I went on about my hunting where I wanted to hunt. I never found any keys that day. BUT this morning I found a BIG set of keys. Same general area but NOT where he had me looking. They have one of those electronic door openers on the ring, 2 pictures of kids, a CVS ExtraCare card and a Palm Harbor, Fl Planet Fitness card wiith a number on the back. It also says DROP IN ANY MAILBOX - POSTAGE GUARANTEED. I stopped at a CVS store and talked to the manager and asked if there was any way I could have them track this person down by the number on their card. He didn't want to mess with it and suggested I call the 800 number on the back of the card. I went out to my car and called that number. They told me yes, they had that person in their database but wanted me to just leave the keys with the manager (who didn't want anything to do with them) I told them fine. They are not MY keys so thank you anyway I would try another way to track this person down.

MoneynJunk042809.jpg

I guess my question is.....if I drop these keys in a mailbox what are the chances this person will get his/her keys back? Anyone know?

Second bit of my day...................

I don't know if any of you guys remember this post but last year I talked about hunting in the water working my way south toward the pier. Not really getting any hits but all of a sudden I DID GET A HIT AND IT WAS A NICE ONE! I dug, dug & dug but just could not find the item. I finally gave up but marked the area by looking for 3 landmarks to go by just in case - hoping I could find it again. Then I kept going south. I met Clyp that day and MTpockets was there that day also but I didn't get to meet him. I chatted with Clyp and then decided I had had enough and started working my way back north - still in the water - to go home. I got back to the same area and decided to give that item another try if I could find it. My landmarks were good because I found it right away and I knew it was the same hit because of the deep hole that was still there. I dug and dug and dug some more but still could not find it. I looked around for Clyp. I was going to have him give it a try and see what he could find but he was already way to far away from me and heading back south. So I gave up and joked on T-net about next time taking a big shovel with me to find that item. Today - just for the heck of it - I thought I would see if I could find that spot again. I found it! Right off the bat. I must have really picked some good landmarks! STILL ..... even after digging at least 20 shovels full I could not get it! if any MD'er had been around me I would have told them about it but the only ones I saw this morning were way up in the dry sand. Except the one guy I saw first thing this morning but he was on the other side of the pier from me now. So whatever it is..... is STILL there! It sure is bugging me. It may be nothing at all but it sure is strange that I could find that same spot three times and not get the item.

Ah well all was not lost. I did manage a cheapo hoop earring and $1.21 in clad this morning. Oh yeah, and a set of keys! I'll take it :wink:

Upvote 0

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Hi Mum.You could try anothes CVS location, and see if anyone cares???????
Everytime I go to Galveston, in the summer, I find keys. I asked the lifeguards, and the police. They both said to throw them away. they did not want anything to do wiht them. Said no telling how long they had been lost.... HH Gayle

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie,

I'm happy to see your with your machine again and enjoying it.

For that target that you kept digging for I imagine and if I were you I would think about it this way too (or you won't sleep thinking that it might be GOLD) it was probably a beer or soda can. Last time in Florida I dug up a "treasure" at about 1 1/2 feet down. It was a beauty, a brand spanking new, pristine Coke can. There's no feeling of accomplishment like digging up one of those "buggers" at that distance.

As for the keys, maybe send them to the fitness center. I would imagine if you drop them at CVS they will stay there with the assumption by management that they were found in the parking lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread