Sensitivity on Excalibur II 10

Jacky

Jun 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Excalibur II
Hi everyone...

I getting some problem with sensitivity on my excalibur II 10 when im hunting.
Wen i start in the wet sand im using sensitivity +- 11o'clock ( i think it´s 6/7) but wen the times passes i have to lower the sensitivity.
Last night, i star at 11 o'clock and after 2 hours i have my sensitivity at +- 3o'clock and falsing a loot.

It´s not the first time.
My Excalibur have 1 month old and i detect with it for about 10/15h.

Is this normal? I'm using the yellow coil cover only atached to the coil but i have seen some detector here that have some type of clue that cover the coil cover and the coil.

Should i do this?

Upvote 0

masterhunter

May 12, 2005
Sounds like it might be a coil problem, Lots of defective slimline coils, does it start to false when the coil gets wet?
I would not recommend epoxying the coil only because it would void your warranty.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you only hunting wet sand or in the water also?
Is it fresh or salt water?
Are you hunting a area that has a lot of black sand?
How often do you check or clean out the sand under your coil cover?
A little more information would help.

If your Excal is still under warranty I would not use truck bed spray or epoxy on your coil, if not under warranty then it is okay. I use epoxy on mine.

Do you put silicone grease on the battery poles and rubber gasket of the battery? I highly recommend this, it stop a lot of my falsing problems on my Excal, I hunt a lot in the salt water and controls are under water.

OP
OP
J

Jacky

Jun 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Excalibur II
I'm hunting the wet sand and water knee deep sometimes. I start the wet sand and go down in too sea. With the waves i always get my coil under water.
Always salt water.
I clean my coil cover always after one hunt when i get home.
I bought my Excalibur new 1 month ago, so, still on warranty.

Treasure_Hunter said:
Do you put silicone grease on the battery poles and rubber gasket of the battery? I highly recommend this, it stop a lot of my falsing problems on my Excal, I hunt a lot in the salt water and controls are under water

I don´t now what is this.
What sould i do?!? Can someone show me a picture of this done?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right. This problem you are having seems to come up with some of the newer Excal II. If you are cleaning the black sand out of your coil cover it might just be the extra amount of black sand in certain locations. However you can pick up some Silicone Grease from a dive shop and you apply some to the threads of the conector. This keeps any saltwater from touching the battery leads. Make sure it is Silicone Grease and not Silicone sealant.

I don't recommend any marine epoxy or truck bed liner on the coil as this voids the warranty, but if it is out of warranty, it saves you from having to clean out the coil cover while still protecting the coil from abrasions. Also, leave the cell phone back at the vehicle or keep it turned off till you need it.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FSS said:
Hogwash on these guys telling you to grease your pins. If you were getting saltwater on your battery pins, the detector would short out. These plugs are designed already to keep out water, just make sure it's tight enough, hand tight is plenty.

You will find it DOES help to put silcone grease on the connector pins. I found it stop some of the falsing I was experiencing................. At the beach I personally do not use a coil cover, and found when i started using the silicone grease my problem with the falsing greatly improved.

You can also leave the battery connector loose (not hand tight) and see it still runs, but with a lot of falsing and noise.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
FSS said:
Hogwash on these guys telling you to grease your pins. If you were getting saltwater on your battery pins, the detector would short out. These plugs are designed already to keep out water, just make sure it's tight enough, hand tight is plenty.

You will find it DOES help to put silcone grease on the connector pins. I found it stop some of the falsing I was experiencing................. At the beach I personally do not use a coil cover, and found when i started using the silicone grease my problem with the falsing greatly improved.

You can also leave the battery connector loose (not hand tight) and see it still runs, but with a lot of falsing and noise.

You only have to try it and see for yourself. The Silicone Grease is the cure unless you have another problem.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If silicone grease solves the problem then that means that water was getting on the pins. That is not a normal situation. The connector is designed to keep water from coming in contact with the pins without the need for grease. The solution is not grease but a clean gasket and a tight collar.

I had similar falsing problems with my new Excalibur II and it turned out to be water and wet sand between the coil and the cover. We don't have black sand here so that could not have been the reason for the false signals. Never had this problem with the older BBS machines.

John

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't just put the silicone grease on the pins, I put it on the threads of the screw cap as well to help ensure cap is waterproof.

I use no coil cover when hunting the water and found that after using the silicone grease on both the threads and the pins the falsing was greatly reduced. I think a lot of the problems on falsing is people are running the machine too hot, they are afraid by turning the sensitivity down they will lose a lot of depth. Even running sense at 1-3 o'clock, I still dig targets 12 inches+.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My falsing only happens when I have a coil cover on, the coil has been in the water, and then I get out of the water to hunt the wet or dry sand. Removing the coil cover solved the problem but turning the sensitivity down as far as it goes did not help at all. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with salt water between the coil and the cover. I've experienced this with a White's Surfmaster PI also.

If you examine the battery connector and see how the seal works it should be evident that water coming in through the threads of the locking collar should not be able to come into contact with the pins. The rubber seal is pressed tight against both flat surfaces surrounding the pins and the battery contacts. That is what keeps water off of the pins. The grease you are putting on the threads may make it easier for you to tighten the collar. Just be sure that grease isn't attracting sand and grit which will eventually damage the threads.

In addition to my new Excalibur II I also have an original "sword" model which I have been using since it was purchased new 13 years ago. I never put grease on it and never had falsing or any corrosion at all on the pins or battery contacts. I just make sure it's good and tight and then rinse it in fresh water after every use.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread