??? excalibur coil change

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is best done by Minelab's customer service.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish Minelab would help. When I sent mine in for a little work I was disappointed to find out they wouldn't do any work beyond stock work. The gentleman that I talked to, who was nice, told me they no longer will do it. I told him I didn't mind to pay for the work, but to no avail he said no. I wanted to also add removable headphones like a friend of mine had installed on his Excalibur.....

Try posting in the Minelab forum to see if someone who is more knowledgeable can help. I'm sure that there are many that can.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Sandman said:
This is best done by Minelab's customer service.

I will take my chances this is a old excal if you would have read the post. Minelab will not even work on this one any more the old read head
I was told by them that they will not even repair these any more. WHY because minelabs customer service just $UCK$. Just need to figure out
where the wires go I am work on my own detectors most of the time pretty handy with a soldering iron.

I am getting closer to what i need to know may give it a shot tommorrow. Found this it is of some help.
http://www.docsdetecting.com/coiltek/connect.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wiring scheme should work. Sunray has a nice splice setup.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree I have noticed a decline in minelabs service. When my brother sent his in, and called weeks later, they didn't even show getting it, then they called him told him it would 525.00 and when he called back, they told him they hadn't gotten it yet. He told them that someone from there had called him with an estimate. Still they had no record of it. After back and forth they did seem to find it and when he told them he wasn't going to pay 525.00 for repairs to just ship it back, they dropped it down to 275.00. Might want to keep that in mind when they give you the first estimate.

D

digum smacks

oh what can i say about the minelab excalibur 1000,and 2.almost everyone i know uses them,and i will never again.at this moment i have one in the shop had it for only 6 months.they are going to call and say we wont fix it buy a new one.i just bought a whites dual field,found way more gold with it than the excal,goes alot deeper than the excal,only bad part it picks up steel.but im finding alot more gold even digging steel targets.but for dry sand hunting i wont use it,cause every target sounds exactly the same,not so in the water.in conclusion the excal 1 and 2 are by far the worst machines ive ever owned

Clyp

Jul 1, 2006
South Central Orlando
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered new connectors for my old Excal with the sword on it which is just like yours. I talked to Ralph at http://www.sunraydetector.com/ and he informed me that pin 3 and 6 are both ground wires so you can tie them together. He won't be quoted on that. Obviously you perform the work at your own risk. My excal already has a WOT coil on it and once I get his connectors I will swap out the crappy waterproof connector that came with it for this one. The good thing is since I had Minelab do the work a year ago or so all I need to do now is match everything that’s there to the new connectors.
I also agree that Minelabs position has changed since they were bought out by Codan. However what I heard is that they no longer did these modifications anymore because people were doing those themselves and then when they couldn't get it to work coming back and saying Minelab did the work. Minelab had no way to track it. They open themselves to a lot more liability when performing these modifications and while I still wish they did them I understand the logic.
On the PI topic….Personally, I would rather dig less gold and NO Bobby pins than more gold and every bobby pin I pass over. I can hunt for 9 hours with a VLF machine before the body starts screaming for its two best friends…. Tylenol and Motrin. I was lucky to last 4 hours with my PI. I want another PI in my arsenal, but only for certain places.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Clyp said:
I just ordered new connectors for my old Excal with the sword on it which is just like yours. I talked to Ralph at http://www.sunraydetector.com/ and he informed me that pin 3 and 6 are both ground wires so you can tie them together. He won't be quoted on that. Obviously you perform the work at your own risk. My excal already has a WOT coil on it and once I get his connectors I will swap out the crappy waterproof connector that came with it for this one. The good thing is since I had Minelab do the work a year ago or so all I need to do now is match everything that’s there to the new connectors.
I also agree that Minelabs position has changed since they were bought out by Codan. However what I heard is that they no longer did these modifications anymore because people were doing those themselves and then when they couldn't get it to work coming back and saying Minelab did the work. Minelab had no way to track it. They open themselves to a lot more liability when performing these modifications and while I still wish they did them I understand the logic.
On the PI topic….Personally, I would rather dig less gold and NO Bobby pins than more gold and every bobby pin I pass over. I can hunt for 9 hours with a VLF machine before the body starts screaming for its two best friends…. Tylenol and Motrin. I was lucky to last 4 hours with my PI. I want another PI in my arsenal, but only for certain places.

I talked with them they will not even fix your detector if you pay them no longer work on the old Excals said they can not get the parts.
Sounds like horse hocky to me.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Think I have it figured out 6 holes wires go red black white skip two holes last hole yellow on the toronado coil.
Got it wired up and ready to go seems to work OK. If it does not will let you know

Jason

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the swap over... customer service has become a thing of the past, except for a few companies.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't get parts??? if I remember correctly the only difference between the older excal and the new ones, is coil size option, and the battery is better. The brain is the same.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
txkickergirl said:
can't get parts??? if I remember correctly the only difference between the older excal and the new ones, is coil size option, and the battery is better. The brain is the same.

Yea I know sounds like crap to me to. They just want you to have to buy a new one but with service like that makes you want to look at another detector company. I realy like the Excal for water hunting but minelab has chaped my butt on customer service more than once.

Jason

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digum smacks said:
oh what can i say about the minelab excalibur 1000,and 2.almost everyone i know uses them,and i will never again.at this moment i have one in the shop had it for only 6 months.they are going to call and say we wont fix it buy a new one.i just bought a whites dual field,found way more gold with it than the excal,goes alot deeper than the excal,only bad part it picks up steel.but im finding alot more gold even digging steel targets.but for dry sand hunting i wont use it,cause every target sounds exactly the same,not so in the water.in conclusion the excal 1 and 2 are by far the worst machines ive ever owned

Sorry Digum, I can't agree at all. I have had 2 Excals, I still have one, both are excellent machines.

You will read 10 good reviews for every bad review on the Excal. Some of the bad reviews are because people don't take time to learn the detector and tones. Every company has a lemon now and then. I had a Beach Hunter ID that leaked twice on me new, second time it was repaired I traded it in on my first Sovereign GT. I have others say theirs never leaked at all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clyp said:
However what I heard is that they no longer did these modifications anymore because people were doing those themselves and then when they couldn't get it to work coming back and saying Minelab did the work. Minelab had no way to track it. They open themselves to a lot more liability when performing these modifications and while I still wish they did them I understand the logic.

Tylenol and Motrin. I was lucky to last 4 hours with my PI. I want another PI in my arsenal, but only for certain places.

I have heard the same thing from 2 different detector companies as well as from Minelab. Minelab stopped because people were sending their detectors in with the mod work that had issues and saying it was done by minelab, and they dont know why minelab can't find their paper work. The same people sending it in, couldn't produce their paper work either.

Minelab stopped doing and working on all after market mods because of this.

"Tylenol and Motrin"

I could have swore one of your bottles I saw was Midol...

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Treasure_Hunter said:
Clyp said:
However what I heard is that they no longer did these modifications anymore because people were doing those themselves and then when they couldn't get it to work coming back and saying Minelab did the work. Minelab had no way to track it. They open themselves to a lot more liability when performing these modifications and while I still wish they did them I understand the logic.

Tylenol and Motrin. I was lucky to last 4 hours with my PI. I want another PI in my arsenal, but only for certain places.

I have heard the same thing from 2 different detector companies as well as from Minelab. Minelab stopped because people were sending their detectors in with the mod work that had issues and saying it was done by minelab, and they dont know why minelab can't find their paper work. The same people sending it in, couldn't produce their paper work either.

"Tylenol and Motrin"

This is another excuse from minelab once they sell you something they do not want to be bothered with you anymore. There have been thousands of these modded stopping now changes nothing they could say it was done a while back. I could see no paper work no warranty. But we will not work on the detectors we made no excuse for that. I was told they have there hands full with repairs on warranty work and do not have the time to do non stock mods. sure there will be some one that steps up and works on these to make the money that minelab does not want.

Jason

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Clyp said:

"Tylenol and Motrin"

This is another excuse from minelab once they sell you something they do not want to be bothered with you anymore. There have been thousands of these modded stopping now changes nothing they could say it was done a while back. I could see no paper work no warranty. But we will not work on the detectors we made no excuse for that. I was told they have there hands full with repairs on warranty work and do not have the time to do non stock mods. sure there will be some one that steps up and works on these to make the money that minelab does not want.

Jason

I have sent in my Excalibur twice in 3 years, both times they repaired it and returned it in 3 weeks. I curently have 3 Minelabs, and would not hesitate for a minute to buy another if the right deal comes along.

I just missed a deal last week for a 2005 Minelab Excalibur with a WOT coil hardwired on for $500 by a few minutes. Found the deal on craigslist in California, no pictures posted, sent request for pictures, I got pictures back with in hour, but was slow checking my email and didn't get back for about 90 minutes. Pictures showed Excal was in mint condition. I emailed back that I would take it and got reply back he just got email offer from someone else a few minutes before my reply offering to buy. I even offered him $50 more then he asked when I found out, but couldn't get him to sell it to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread