question to any electronic experts

D

digum smacks

Upvote 0

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Yes, you should try calling Whites.

But my belief is that it would not only hurt performance but may not work at all. Many of these machines have low voltage indicators or circuitry that is based upon a certain low threshold voltage. 9.6V is actually about the point where a 12V battery is considered to be completely discharged. So even though the batteries may be fresh the low voltage seen by the circuitry could be interpreted as a low battery condition. Also, bias currents and other circuit features are set to work at a nominal voltage range. Being outside of that range will cause the circuit to perform badly. Finally, 9.6V is the fully charged nominal voltage for those rechargable batteries. But that voltage will drop quickly with use. So you will quickly be even further below the expected voltage range. So it may work for a while but may suddenly stop working way before the batteries are discharged.

Again, contact Whites to be sure. If they designed the system to work with rechargables then you will be fine. But if they didn't, I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you that it won't work.

Good luck.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The voltage in alkaline batteries drops to about the same as nimh batteries quickly. A fully charged AA nimh battery will measure close to 1.4V, drop to 1.2v and maintain that voltage through most of the cycle, so I doubt there will be an issue. I ran 6000 mAh C cells in my Eagle Spectrum without any problems, but that was only 4 batteries, not 8.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
According to page 4 of the Whites BeachHunter 300 manual,

"Alkalines are recommended for use with this model."

" . . . when non alkaline or re-chargeable "AA" cells are used, detecting time will be reduced".

From my experience, the AA alkalines last 40+ hours in the BeachHunter.

And when Radio Shack, runs the 40 pack of AA Alkalines for $10, I usually stock up.

Bill

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuerillaBill said:
According to page 4 of the Whites BeachHunter 300 manual,

"Alkalines are recommended for use with this model."

" . . . when non alkaline or re-chargeable "AA" cells are used, detecting time will be reduced".

From my experience, the AA alkalines last 40+ hours in the BeachHunter.

And when Radio Shack, runs the 40 pack of AA Alkalines for $10, I usually stock up.

Bill

Thanks for that shopping tip as well as the other info :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread