Should I be out there despite the weather?

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Well the weather here on the so called sunshine coast (west Florida) has be horrible. Looking at my 5Th consecutive day of thunderstorms rolling off the gulf of Mexico. We have even seen some heavy surf which is rare for around here. Needless to say I have put my metal detecting on hold for now.

On one hand I am thinking no beach goers equals no lost items to find but on the other hand if there has been some beach erosion maybe some long lost deeply buried items are up close to the surface.

Should I brave the weather and hunt the beach or just wait for the sun and people to return?

Upvote 0

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
No -- I've been knocked down by lightning doing just what you're thinking of doing,? We're in the "lightning capital" of the world here -- Florida Power recorded 34,000+ strikes an hour out of one of our supercells -- so I'd think twice before playing around out there.

Good luck when you do get out -- the weather has been terrible.

Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com

image41.gif

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Compared to here that's lovely weather :)

[Glendale, Arizona] Cloudy, Currently: 30C (86F), High: 41C (105F), Low: 28C (83F), Feels Like: 30C (86F), Wind: calm, Humidity: 35%, Visibility: Unlimited, Sunrise: 5:45 am, Sunset: 7:25 pm

Frankly i'd wear a hat with a metal point on the top, and a wire down to a plate on the bottom of my shoe? ;D

Or do like the old golfing joke says "when there's lightning, hold your one iron straight up in the air, because not even God can hit a one iron."

Happy Hunting

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! I think I'd be taking my chances and looking for washed-out doubloons! But of course if something happened to me there wouldn't be any wife/kids left behind...

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
The weather has cleared up anyways and hope to hit the beach this evening after work. I haven't heard any reports of any significant beach erosion but judging from the surf boards I saw on top of the kids cars this week there must have been some waves.

Evidently they don't give much concern to lightning. When that bolt makes contact with the zipper of their wet suite though they may change there minds :o. I have been caught out there when some rough weather came off the gulf and it does make one feel pretty vulnerable. Makes you want to dig a hole in the sand as quickly as possible and crawl in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread