Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok second time I've posted this an still no replies, hmmmmmmmmm I keep seeing folks talk about this , but nobody wants to give an answer, is it a secret, do I need a special decoder ring to be part of the club ?...... ???

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Ya gotta be more specific......

What type of machine do you want to mount on a straight shaft?......you have to ask a specific question pertaining to your particular need.....folks are happy to help....but give them something that they know about and want to answer....and don't what ever you do.....start calling this a club as though you are on the outside looking in.....you'll never get a response that way....JMHO.....Surfdigger

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the question was pretty straight forward , guess it wasnt.

what is the need to straight shaft ANY Machine ,what are the benifits to using a straight shaft .

just trying to learn about something I keep seeing .

pistolpete

Jan 23, 2006
Fort Erie,Ontario,Canada
Detector(s) used
1280,excal,pi pro,sea hunter 2,x terra 70
Straight shafts usually improve the balance and make the machine feel lighter by distributing the weight further away from the coil. It is very beneficial especially with heavy water machines

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhhhhhhhhh , cool thanks for the info pete :icon_thumleft:

HH Tank

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
You can go even further, as Garrett did with their Sea Hunter XL-500. The machine itself is very heavy but waist or chest mount. This leaves the straight-shaft coil to be the lightest and most comfortable I have ever used. Now if only the discriminator worked.....

Chip V.

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!
Tank69 said:

what is the need to straight shaft ANY Machine ,what are the benifits to using a straight shaft .

I thought it was a good question and I have wondered too.

I see postings where guys are building their own "straight " shafts for this machine and that, and I too was curious as to what the benefit was. I have handled a couple straight shaft detectors at a local shop a couple times, and could seen no benefit over he "S" shafts. To me they seemed more awkward, but I may just be accustomed to using the "S" shaft and if I really got out there swinging the straight shaft might then see the advantage.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zectron2348 said:
Tank69 said:

what is the need to straight shaft ANY Machine ,what are the benefits to using a straight shaft .

I thought it was a good question and I have wondered too.

I see postings where guys are building their own "straight " shafts for this machine and that, and I too was curious as to what the benefit was. I have handled a couple straight shaft detectors at a local shop a couple times, and could seen no benefit over he "S" shafts. To me they seemed more awkward, but I may just be accustomed to using the "S" shaft and if I really got out there swinging the straight shaft might then see the advantage.
The benefit is comfort to most people. It balances the detector better when the controls are heavy. I use a straight shaft on my Excal but hip mount the controls to take even more weight off the arm. The straight shaft is longer for a better sweep. If the factory shaft was long enough I would use that because I don't like to have to keep inserting my arm in the cuff.

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thanks everyone ,like I said it was a term I kept hearing an didnt know why or howcome thanks for edumakateing me ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread