Worlds worst

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
World's worst

Well, I have to be the world's worst gulf water hunter. You couldn't have asked for a more perfect morning. The sky was blue, the clouds white and fluffy. The water was calm, flat and clear. The tide was out. It was just beautiful out there this morning - perfect - but.....I was just not getting any hits at all. Now I know that there is stuff in that water! If nothing else...... where are all the bobby pins, hair clips, earring posts! Sheesh. All was not lost completely. I did manage to find a dollar coin, a quarter and three pennies in the dry sand. I only got two hits for the 3 hours I was in the water. A bobby pin and a pull tab. I take that back, I did get another hit that I dug and dug and dug for and never did get it. Another MD'er was chatting with me at the time and I finally asked him to give it a try. He got it..... but it was just the top of a soda can. Grrrrrrrrrr.. Everything else was found up on the beach. Ah well...... maybe next time. :wink:

MoneynJunk092209.jpg

Upvote 0

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Re: World's worst

I went to the gulf on vacation and was amazed at how little I found out in the water. Perhaps I was doing something wrong too. No bobby pins or any real trash. Just a couple of pennies, one nickel, and several fishing sinkers. Let me know if you find out that you are doing something wrong because I'd love to learn from your experience. I'm sure that my detector is not cut out for the salt water. I had to turn the discrimination on and turn down the sensitivity to keep it from chattering too much as waves would pass over the head. But I was able to find some stuff so I have to believe that I was doing some things right. No problems in the dry sand. Although not nearly as much trash there either as I had expected.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well at least you got to get out! :laughing9: :laughing9: You should never have made that statement. Take care. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe there are to many hunters saving their trash and things are getting cleaned up some.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the good news is you seem to have figgered out "when" to catch the proper hunting time--- area & tide wize .

you buy your ticket and take a chance --the "yankee" tourist stayed home this year a lot --bad economy -- so the stuff they normally deliver to our fair beaches did not arrive (pity)-- so no good "beach" replenishment occured this year sadly

making for thin pickings .

but the ocean gives and takes * --theres things there they just might be deep --might take a storm or two to uncover em is all.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
Well at least you got to get out! :laughing9: :laughing9: You should never have made that statement. Take care. Monty
:laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing9: :tongue3:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Maybe there are to many hunters saving their trash and things are getting cleaned up some.

where are all the bobby pins, hair clips, earring posts!

Another MD'er was chatting with me

That is exactly what I was going to say every time you make a post you talk about this guy and that guy. It's like around here the beaches are being hunted to death. Shoot if you don't find the ring the day they lose it GONE found by someone else !!!

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

I do see a lot of hunters out there when I hunt and I generally try to at least say hello unless it is apparent that they would rather not chat. I also try not to take up too much of their time because I know they are out there to hunt and not chat.... so am I! LOL If they are too far away I will try to wave at them if I think they are looking my way. I like to at least say hello. :wink:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only thing I have found yet was a plated chain. I haven't had a nice flat day yet though. I've hit on a few signals, but missed them with my scoop and lost them after a couple of tries.

So you aren't the worst mumszie ::)

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mumszie, when I went to cwb the week before, one day with cavedweller and one day with cotton, I didn't find anything. I left the machine in all metal and got only one bobby pin in a period of 30 minutes. I did find a few items, nothing worth mentioning. At first I thought it was my machine, but everybody I ran into was pretty much telling me the same. It's a combination of too many hunters, less targets, sand movement, etc. All the spots that I get at least one ring (junk or gold) I didn't even get a signal and I was the first to get there at 6 am.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd like to just walk on the beach :tongue3:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's not you Mumszie. You can definitely tell that summer is over, despite the temperature. I'm hoping the snowbirds bring their goodies with them this year.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. Yes CWB is hit by many detectorists both in and out of the water. I have seen 12 to 15 people detecting during just one outing. And everytime I go there there is always several people detecting in the water and on the dry sand. But here is something to remember. While CWB has a ton of people swimming and sunning on the beach which equates to more targets. Parking issues, traffic, cost and so forth increase the frustration level for myself, and if it takes longer to get there it shortens the hunting time in the water. Even though when I get into the water, time just stops for me and usually I realize that when the sun is finally setting into the water. Ooops that means someone should have been home 2 hours earlier! There are many other beaches that have county parks attached to them. It is cheaper at these parks, parking is usually not an issue. Places like treasure Island, St. Pete beach, Sand Key Park, Indian Shores, Pass-A-Grill. These are all available for us to detect. Not as much competition either. I have also noted that there have been multiple posts on line at different web sites of rings lost in these other areas. The lost items are waiting to be rediscovered by those willing to hunt those areas. Places like Treasure Island where they have had numerous news stories of out of control parties, drinking and a multitude of people at these beaches. So as much as I enjoy Clearwater Beach, the guy with the monster scoop is now hitting these other beaches. Yes I'm still finding items, and I believe that my recovery of those items equals or exceeds my finds on CWB. Happy hunting everyone ;D

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

I went to Treasure Island beach this summer and didn't find much (a few pennies, a nickel, and some sinkers). I'm sure that my detector was not cut out for it. But the beach was absolutely beautiful and very clean. The family had a great time even though I didn't find much.

I didn't see a single other detectorist while I was there. Actually, there was a young boy about 10 years old using a kid's detector with his dad. But I didn't consider him to be much competition. :wink: So even though I didn't personally find much on my trip, I can see where places like Treasure Island would be a better place to go. Very little competition, very little trash, great family beach.

By the way, what are your thoughts on the big sandbar over at Treasure Island? I spent about 2 hours hunting one day about 200 yards from the sandbar because a lady had told me that her grandson had lost a ring there. I never did find it and I didn't find much of anything else either. I probably had a total of 5 signals in 2 hours. I then went to the sandbar and got a hit on a nickel in the first 2 minutes. I was stoked! But then the cell phone rang and my wife told me the kids missed me and I needed to come back to the hotel. ;D So now I wonder if I should have spent most of my time on the sand bar instead. It would make sense that a lot of stuff would get pushed down there and settle right on the edge of it. Thoughts?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

those types of sand bars are often made by sand washing off the beach ---it and the dip between the beach and the bar --know as the "trought" often will hold items washed off the beach area --the bar is made by sand washing off the beach and settling out there on its way out to sea.

Smremm

Sep 11, 2009
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab

I just want ya'll to know, I appreciate it when you post your "I got nuttin'" days. It makes me feel better that I haven't found anything worthwhile yet. (and I do stress "yet"). Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there dragging home a pocket full of garbage. :wink:

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

Thanks for the explanation Ivan. You sure know your stuff about beach hunting. You've answered some of my questions before and I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of this stuff to a newbie like me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread