Question for excalibur owners

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Have any of you excalibur owners ever taken your excalibur to a park or school to help train yourself on tone differences? Or if you think you are already really good at identifying gold tones, then trying to cherry pick some gold rings from the park turf?

I still struggle with telling the difference between a gold ring and other items.

Just curious.

Jim

Upvote 0

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
when I had mine i used it everywhere I hunted......I had another machine with 3 different tones and vdi but with the 17 different tones I liked the Excal better I could tell a little more about what i was hearing

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Maybe I'm spoiled, but the excal 1000 is too heavy to use out of the water. I'd rather use a feather light Golden Umax to listen for tones. Just my opinion, on two cups of coffee that is. ;D

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I have noticed with mine that gold will sound different depending on it's shape and depth. I have found a few gold rings that sounded high in pitch like silver and they were deep. I found a 14k flat pendant that sounded exactly like foil, it was very very low just like those round foil drink tops that are paper on one side.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me

Different gold rings etc will sound different primarily because of the different base metals and amounts of the metals used when they were made, as well as depth and surrounding soil conditions.

It is next to impossible to tell the difference between many gold rings and many poptops, if you want to find gold you can't discriminate out poptops or aluminum, you have to dig.

Sometimes gold will have a slightly lower growl then poptops, other times it will sound identical to most poptops. I have tested gold rings and poptops and so many times the tone is so close you just don't know, especially 10,12, and 14k.

If you want to use the Excal to hunt land it is a great land machine, just get a harness from Kellyco and you will never notice the weight. If you every try a harness on an Excal, you will never hunt with out it.

If you want to dig gold jewelry, your going to dig up poptops, it comes with the territory.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything Treasure_Hunter said is true. Basicly if it makes a sound you should dig it if your are interested in rings. You can play with the different sounds all you want with various gold rings and foil on the sand, but when they are buried the sound comes through differently.

I am pretty good with the sounds and one piece of what I KNEW was foil turned out to be a small 18 kt. white gold ring with two huge diamonds and they were real too. Not all gold rings are alloyed the same, so the sound can change.

Good Luck,
Sandman

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Treasure_Hunter said:
time4me

Different gold rings etc will sound different primarily because of the different base metals and amounts of the metals used when they were made, as well as depth and surrounding soil conditions.

It is next to impossible to tell the difference between many gold rings and many poptops, if you want to find gold you can't discriminate out poptops or aluminum, you have to dig.

Sometimes gold will have a slightly lower growl then poptops, other times it will sound identical to most poptops. I have tested gold rings and poptops and so many times the tone is so close you just don't know, especially 10,12, and 14k.

If you want to use the Excal to hunt land it is a great land machine, just get a harness from Kellyco and you will never notice the weight. If you every try a harness on an Excal, you will never hunt with out it.

If you want to dig gold jewelry, your going to dig up poptops, it comes with the territory.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
i thought everyone was....

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me

from the beginning of time gold has always been hard to find..............nothing has or will change about that.

just think how good u have it compared to those fellas with the PI's and all the stuff they have to indure to find the gold.

tones................gold ring tones.............nickels, pull tabs and .......and sound just like gold. i have dug many 14k rings that sounded just like pennies........when i had my expII........dug two gold rings that read just like pennies.............many nice rings are loaded with copper.

u want the gold, u have to dig the stuff.........stuff is in many many forms to us beach diggers, plus u get to find and see all sorts of things.

sounds like u bought the excal and had visions of just walking along the beach and picking up gold ring after gold ring.................i will happen for sure......... :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• BFA8213s.jpg
    BFA8213s.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 364
  • diggers.jpg
    diggers.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 360

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
Maxx,

That's just Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Posting a picture like that......

I need to go back to the beach now..

Ignore him, keep the pictures coming Max....................... :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread