how to set up an electrolysis for cleaning?

excal

Sep 15, 2009
w.p.b FL.
Detector(s) used
excaliber II
Ihave set-up an electrolysis for cleaning some iron objects i have found, but i have to unplug it after an hour or so,because the transformer gets to hot. If i don't get to it in time, it will burn up and short out. Does anyone have any input on this topic? The fluid is deminerialized water, baking soda and lemon juice. Maybe i m doin something wrong? i have a piece of stainless in there as well and the wires are hooked up wright, so is there a specific transformer to use as far as output voltage or is my solution wrong? thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Most folks are using nine to twelve volts from a transformer rated for 1/2 Amp (500 miliamps) or so. Perhaps if yours is getting too hot, try increasing the spacing between the object being cleaned and the stainless steel. More spacing makes more resistance and less current.

Chip V.

K

Kentucky Kache

excal said:
Ihave set-up an electrolysis for cleaning some iron objects i have found, but i have to unplug it after an hour or so,because the transformer gets to hot. If i don't get to it in time, it will burn up and short out. Does anyone have any input on this topic? The fluid is deminerialized water, baking soda and lemon juice. Maybe i m doin something wrong? i have a piece of stainless in there as well and the wires are hooked up wright, so is there a specific transformer to use as far as output voltage or is my solution wrong? thanks in advance.

If you figure it out let me know, because I have the same problem. One thing I can tell you, salt is better then baking soda.

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
FWIW 6/12 volt battery charger. 1/2 cup baking soda per 3 gallons of distilled water. You want very very slow bubbles off the item being cleaned. If it bubbles to fast use 6 volt on charger. If it still bubbles to fast try putting some vasoline on part of the stainless steel to slow it down. (From a pros book) Hope it helps and take care. Be safe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions