For what its worth

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
Kick your sand holes back in it takes under 5 seconds. Was at a beach recently. 3-5 T/her's in the wet sand (appeared a nice group). I looking back from approx 40 yards, all ya could see was many many gopher holes in concentrated areas. It don't bother me but in my humble opinion I can see where folks with to much time on there hands can cause Big problems. I believe most know the type. The type that never stops to think incoming tide will erase the holes. Anyway, no disrespect to anyone just an observation. Imho. GLTA!

Upvote 0

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I agree, was on the beach yesterday and there were holes a foot deep, the guy just took a giant scoop out and left them.... and ppl do walk the beach at night, someone could twist an ankle in one of those.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes take a few seconds and kick your sand back in your holes.....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it can get unsightly to a layman. People will complain about anything case they have nothing better to do. In fresh water lakes I even push the sand back in any holes and won't scoop in shallow water because it discolors the bottom for guests to complain.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I have already had an irrate gentleman yell at me for digging holes in the water and they weren't even mine! I agree. Take that extra few seconds to kick some sand back in to those holes!

dfxone

Dec 12, 2005
ventura, ca.
Detector(s) used
whites DFX, Sovereign GT
Fill all your holes where ever you dig them. Some city beaches and parks would like to have an excuse to ban metal detecting. Also if they could prove by camera or video that you caused an injury by not filling your holes you would be open to a law suit by the injured. There are people out there looking for ways to file a lawsuit. Not trying to scare any one, this is just a fact. Best wishes, and GH to all. Don

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob S said:
Fill your holes or you may find yourself without a beach to Detect if someone gets hurt.

I always fill my holes, no matter where I hunt. What is bad is the beach is full of holes from kids and adults both digging in the sand to make sand castles and just digging for what ever reason. No one says a word about them..................... I can go to Daytona Beach and see litterly see dozens upon dozens of holes left from digging that has nothing what so ever to do with metal detecting.

What I hate more then the holes is the trash, smokers, stop throwing the cigarette butts on the ground, don't dig holes to bury your beer cans, don't leave plastic bags on the beach, it kills the wild life.

I sincerely wish they would pass a law no glass or metal cans on beach period, plastic bottles only and $100 fine first offense if caught leaving it on the beach and that includes digging a hole to burry it.. $50 fine if observed throwing cigarette butts on the ground by a police man....... Trash cans are there for a reason................. Instead of raising taxes fine the slobs who constantly litter................................

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bob S said:
Fill your holes or you may find yourself without a beach to Detect if someone gets hurt.

I always fill my holes, no matter where I hunt. What is bad is the beach is full of holes from kids and adults both digging in the sand to make sand castles and just digging for what ever reason. No one says a word about them..................... I can go to Daytona Beach and see litterly see dozens upon dozens of holes left from digging that has nothing what so ever to do with metal detecting.

I sincerely wish they would pass a law no glass or metal cans on beach period, plastic bottles only and $100 fine first offense if caught leaving it on the beach and that includes digging a hole to burry it.. $50 fine if observed throwing cigarette butts on the ground by a police man....... Trash cans are there for a reason................. Instead of raising taxes fine the slobs who constantly litter................................

No more regulation! If kids can't dig holes on the beach where can they dig them. If you went to the beach as a child I'm sure you were digging holes and find it unlikely that you were filling them back in.

Please!

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
A rising tide fills all holes :hello2: :hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFLOcenEng said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bob S said:

No more regulation! If kids can't dig holes on the beach where can they dig them. If you went to the beach as a child I'm sure you were digging holes and find it unlikely that you were filling them back in.

Please!

I said nothing about regulation on kids, If a hunter digs a small hole, even though he covers it up, some people scream, but kids can dig huge holes to china and its okay. Let the kids dig, I have no problem with them. :icon_thumright:

Enforce the litter law, fine the people who leave trash on our beaches, Outlaw glass and metal cans on the beaches, fine those who are caught with them on the beach and fine any who are seen throwing trash on our beaches and that includes cigarette butts!!!!!........ Our beaches are not open trash cans..

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
erikk said:
A rising tide fills all holes :hello2: :hello2:

But the public shouldn't have to wait a tidal cycle to use the same beach. Someone mentioned it before about being liable. There are surf-cams that document activity on the beach. The detail is very good.

And with regards to kids, the parents should be held responsible. Let the kids dig, but the parents should be held responsible for filling it in or pay a small fee for it to be done for them. In St. Augustine, we have persons who come along and fill-in deep holes as they are a threat to wildlife and nesting sea turtles. When you educate the youth and how they can have a positive impact on the survival of wildlife, they will be more than eager to fill their own holes.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Kids and young adults around here build elaborate sand castles leaving big holes where the sand came from and demolished mounds of sand after the sand castle contest is over. The waves usually leval all the piles of sand and fill in the holes. No big deal to me.

Most of the Tners around here have an unspoken code of filling in most of the hole before moving on to the next spot. It usually quiets the one per centers that have nothing better to do then say..."You can't dig up my beach"... type of people. I even go behind a lazy digger sometimes to partially fill their holes while checking for what they might have missed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread