Anybody have to change a knob on their excalibur?

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I've got an Excalibur 800 that I never use anymore, but keep as a backup machine. I picked up a 1000 (10" coil) that I much prefer, and I also got an Excalibur II with the 10" coil to keep on the East Coast as I'll be spending summers there going forward.

So what I'm thinking of doing is buying a WOT to put on the 800 to try that combination out (maybe an SEF rather than a WOT - still to be determined). However, one of the knobs on my 800 is acting a bit goofy. It is the power/threshold knob. When I turn the knob counter clockwise to turn off the machine, it usually shuts off, then turns back on because the knob goes a little too far to the left. So what I usually do is just unscrew the battery pack to make sure that it is off.

My question is... can I replace the knob and feel safe going underwater with it? Or can I remove the knob and try to tighten it up so the problem goes away?

Anyone else have any problems with their knobs (and no wise-crack humor guys - I'm serious here!)

Thanks,

Jim

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a simple thing to fix. The knobs on the Excals are friction plastic knobs that can turn on the shaft. I have heard of solutions from glue to replacment of the knobs with Alum. 6 mm knobs with set screws which you can get from some sound and speaker shops. I've checked Radio Shack and they didn't have them where I live. I don't recomend the glue though it is the easies but if you have to ever send it in for any repairs it might not go over well. Taking it underwater even without the knobs won't float the unit.

The addition of a WOT coil is a excellent upgrade! :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Radio Shack or an electronics store, get knobs that have a allen set screws (allen wrench to tighten), if it doesn't come with allen set screws, go to Ace hardware and get them. Get stainless steel if you can find them, if not then replace the screws ever so often as the iron ones will rust.

I got knobs that are larger and scallop edges which makes it so much easier to turn.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me,

Check your IM, I replied with the info you needed :wink:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasuer Hunter reminded me that I forgot about the set screws with his post. If they are brass, get the stainless steel ones as the brass will react to the saltwater and Alum. They are 6 mm. and ae very easy to hold onto with wet fingers for adjusting. I think it was CJC that first told me about this.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
radio shack
2 sizes
EXCALKNOBSCOMP.jpg

EXCALKNOBINSIDE.jpg

EXCALBIGKNOBS.jpg

but

check this out......anderson.........page down to the bottom

http://www.andersondetectorshafts.com/2.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They want $20.00 for those knobs, I think I paid about 5 dollars for mine and less the another dollar for the ss set screws (tighten with allen wrench).

The larger knobs sure make it easy to adjust, and with a set screw it is always accurate.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did not say to buy them,i just threw them in the mix

some like the same look kinda

i really liked the larger radio shack knobs also

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
i did not say to buy them,i just threw them in the mix

some like the same look kinda

i really liked the larger radio shack knobs also

Oh I know you wern't saying buy them Max, I was just commenting on the cost was all......

I have the large ones and it is very easy to adjust them.... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread