Thin dime

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I didn't find much this morning as usual but ended up with 88 cents, a couple more fish hooks, a shoe and the usual junk.

MoneynJunk103109.jpg

I've heard of a thin dime but this morning I found a thin penny. It had a very thick crust on it and when I broke it off there it was a very thin - and I mean THIN penny. The one on the right is a regular penny for comparison.

Pennythin103109.jpg

I also found what I thought at first was a monopoly shoe game piece. On closer inspection I realized that it wasn't. Perhaps just a shoe charm. It was on a piece of knotted monofiliment line so maybe it was being used as a sinker?? I was hoping it would turn out to be silver but after cleaning it definitely is not. It kind of looks like it might have been copper but that looks like it is coming off too so I'm not sure what the heck it is made of. For a small little thing it is pretty heavy. When I was trying to clean it the eye of it broke. Oh well.

shoe1031092.jpg

shoe103109.jpg

Well I didn't find much but it was a great morning an I'm looking forward to all the little goblins and ghosts that will be coming soon. I can't wait for tomorrow. ::)

Upvote 0

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
hi, in the past few years i've found about a dozen or so pennies that would just crumble apart in your hand. never seen one that thin. hh jeff

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found thin coins in the intercoastal accesses that are as you describe.
Copper pennys are perhaps 1/2 the thickness of the normal coin. They also have been severely corroded.
The same for clad dimes.

Right or wrong, I think there might be an acidic condition in the inter-coastal waters/sand/soil that are not found in the gulf proper.

I'm open to suggestions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread