Back in business

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Minelab Excalibur developed coil problems back in July of this year. >:( Sent it back to factory and after a couple of weeks got it back and reassembled it but didn't get to use it till end of September at a favored water hole. I wear it in a hip mount configuration and after about 30 minutes it started to act irregular. I changed battery pack and turned it on and it was D-E-A-D. I thought what the heck? Examining the battery pack and it occurred to me there was an inch of water inside the electronics. The air shook from my rage. :angry4: Got home and sent it right back about October 5th. Got it back two weeks later, explanation that the end cap that coil wire passes through broke, (see photo) allowing water to enter housing. I reassembled it and turned it on. Nothing! Called Minelab and spoke with repairmen who worked on it and he asked me this and that and still nothing so it was returned. :angry5: Got it back today, reassembled and turned it on and it works like new again. Problem was a broken headphone wire. Lost 4 months of warm water hunting. Good thing I have a farmer john wet suit now. I'm back in business. :laughing7: :wav:

Attachments

• MVC-057S.JPG
    MVC-057S.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would they send it back to you without testing it first ?

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Wow! You are a lot more patient than I am, after the first week I would out buying a new detector. Good luck this winter.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor, sorry to hear about your problems, I had a wire on my Excal headset break so sent it to Minelab, the week after I mailed it I cracked the coil on my water proofed Sov GT when I stood it up on the side of my van and it fell over. I had to borrow an Excal from CLYP as we had a Miami trip planned and both of my water machines were being repaired.

I now have 2 Excals and the waterproof Sovereign GT, I can have up to 2 machines down and still be able to hunt now..... ;D :icon_thumright:

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
Glad you are back hunting. I know you guys love your Excals but it seems like you have a lot of problems with them, maybe that is a mis-conception on my part.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Nearly all the problems with the Excalibur revolve around leaking connections. This is why I have mounted mine on a straight shaft, the leads are firm and cannot move.I also have a short cord attatched to the detector so I can let go of the machine and not put any strain on the headphone connections. Most leaks are caused by strain applied to the cables, hip mounting and chest mounting the machine is usually the cause. If you do mount your machine this way make sure there is no flexing on lead connections. I have seen people tape the leads back around the control box this will stop the straining. seeya Neilo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevino1960 said:
Glad you are back hunting. I know you guys love your Excals but it seems like you have a lot of problems with them, maybe that is a mis-conception on my part.

I have owned 3 used Excals in the last 3 years, still own 2, in that period I have had to have one repaired twice for total of $150, one a cracked coil that could have been my fault. I would not call that a lot of problems at all considering the amount of use they have given me or the amount of diamonds and gold I have found with them.

Nello is correct, there seems to be more problems when they are waist mounted, less onthe straight shaft..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread